Are P&O being mean ?

bobstheboy

When we returned from our Arvia cruise in early October I received am email offering £100 OBC if I booked a cruise before 31st December. I subsequently booked a cruise last week and was informed by by excellent TA that I couldn't have the extra  OBC and military  OBC. I am grateful that P&O acknowledge Veterans service with OBC but I feel it is very mean to not give the "Welcome Home"  OBC as well.

Others may well disagree.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Most companies don’t allow two discounts to be combined, particularly when margins are thin. P&O is not unusual, I suspect.

I don't consider it a discount. One is a sweetener to entice you to book another cruise,the other is given in recognition of service. A discount to me is a price reduction.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bobstheboy said:

I don't consider it a discount. One is a sweetener to entice you to book another cruise,the other is given in recognition of service. A discount to me is a price reduction.

From a company’s viewpoint, though, they’re both effectively discounts and they’re both designed to increase sales. Companies rarely give discounts for philanthropic reasons, and there’s no particular reason to give a discount to forces people any more than, say, civil servants. Both work for the government, both choose freely to do so, and both know the pay, terms and conditions before they sign up. Presumably P&O have decided that for commercial reasons it makes more sense to discount ex-forces people than retired civil servants.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

From a company’s viewpoint, though, they’re both effectively discounts and they’re both designed to increase sales. Companies rarely give discounts for philanthropic reasons, and there’s no particular reason to give a discount to forces people any more than, say, civil servants. Both work for the government, both choose freely to do so, and both know the pay, terms and conditions before they sign up. Presumably P&O have decided that for commercial reasons it makes more sense to discount ex-forces people than retired civil servants.

Yes, Civil Servants risk their lives. It is a nice gesture you obviously disagree with. No more comment from me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Yes, Civil Servants risk their lives. It is a nice gesture you obviously disagree with. No more comment from me.

I have absolutely no problems with any discounts they choose to offer, and I say that as a  shareholder, but discounts are almost invariably offered for one reason only - to increase profits, rather than to reduce them. Companies exist to make profits for their shareholders and apparent altruism usually exists only to serve that purpose - it has nothing to do with risking lives. 

This is an interesting analysis by the HSE of work-related fatal injuries in Great Britain:

https://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/fatals.htm

Everyone who takes on a job of work knows the terms and conditions, the pay, and the risks attached before they sign up.  Those conscripted are of course very much an exception, as in the case of the last two world wars. On the basis of the above perhaps P&O should be offering a discount to construction industry workers or those on fishing trawlers - both very dangerous occupations - but somehow I don't see it happening.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

I agree. Thank you for the service you have provided which many could / would not provide.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Thank you. Pity others compare veterans with scaffolders. 

I had an honorary “rank” for mess allocation as part of my role during part of my career but would never, ever presume to compare myself to those who actually served.

They deserve ever discount they get.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

I had an honorary “rank” for mess allocation as part of my role during part of my career but would never, ever presume to compare myself to those who actually served.

They deserve ever discount they get.

So did I !  I worked closely with the Army in the latter years of my Police career and was a member of the Mess with the honorary "rank" of Lt Col and paid Mess fees accordingly.  Not bad of an ex Petty Officer in RN !

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

So did I !  I worked closely with the Army in the latter years of my Police career and was a member of the Mess with the honorary "rank" of Lt Col and paid Mess fees accordingly.  Not bad of an ex Petty Officer in RN !

Sorry Bob but you would have had to salute to me 😀 mate.

I also actually worked with the Police at Tulliallen and enjoyed the officers bar there, brilliant gantry of whisky with proper Scottish measures, a nice restaurant, pool and a gallery with battens and helmets from around the globe. Interesting place.

5 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Sorry Bob but you would have had to salute to me 😀 mate.

I also actually worked with the Police at Tulliallen and enjoyed the officers bar there, brilliant gantry of whisky with proper Scottish measures, a nice restaurant, pool and a gallery with battens and helmets from around the globe. Interesting place.

Lol, days of Sirs and saluting long gone. Never went to  Tulliallan, some of the training establishments were very nice. The Police National College,  Bramshill was an ex stately home in Hampshire

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Lol, days of Sirs and saluting long gone. Never went to  Tulliallan, some of the training establishments were very nice. The Police National College,  Bramshill was an ex stately home in Hampshire

I am a dinasuar.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

My TA wouldn't accept blue light discount on top of their discount, I guess you're entitled to blue light?  I went to Chantmarle, Dorset. Sadly the beauty of the place was lost on us as our instructors thought they were training the military 😉

9 minutes ago, doog442 said:

My TA wouldn't accept blue light discount on top of their discount, I guess you're entitled to blue light?  I went to Chantmarle, Dorset. Sadly the beauty of the place was lost on us as our instructors thought they were training the military 😉

I could get a Blue Light Card but have a Defence Discount Card which I find better. I have always got TA discount along with DDC OBC and Shareholder OBC on a Select fare.  I joined RN in 1962 and police in 73 so the police training compared to the RN was a doddle !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doog442 said:

Find another TA. You don't get discount with P&O for BLC it is extra OBC and is nothing to do with TA discount. They are wrong I would book elsewhere. My TA cannot give extra OBC but gives me extra discount to cover BLC discount on top of discount they already give.

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Find another TA. You don't get discount with P&O for BLC it is extra OBC and is nothing to do with TA discount. They are wrong I would book elsewhere. My TA cannot give extra OBC but gives me extra discount to cover BLC discount on top of discount they already give.

Yes I meant OBC on top of their discount. I already had the £600 OBC on booking plus shareholder OBC of £150. The issue is we obviously can't discuss or recommend TA's on here .

9 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

Not all service personnel are in life threatening posts. A cook in the Baracks may cut his finger I suppose.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Not all service personnel are in life threatening posts. A cook in the Baracks may cut his finger I suppose.

And a cook in the barracks in a war zone can also be blown up.

most of us don’t face that kind of hazard. Did you Zapp?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

And a cook in the barracks in a war zone can also be blown up.

most of us don’t face that kind of hazard. Did you Zapp?

I worked in the construction industry for 50 years. Not all cooks, clerks etc go to war zones. Those that do should maybe get a discount, but not all.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I did time in barracks, a chance to be home after 18 months at sea. You might get 12 months in my day, then another sea draft for up to two years. We weren't conscripted, all volunteers but it's still service for your country.

I'll say no more, not worth the effort.

• Like 2

The veterans discount/OBC is somewhat historical. P&O and Princess were at one time under the same umbrella, and the then CEO was a Vietnam vet (I think). Given the close relationship between US and UK forces he decreed that UK vets should also get a benefit for P&O and Princess sailings.