Crystal Named as One of the Top Cruise Lines by Cruise Critic In its 15th Annual Editors’ Picks Awards In Two Categories

Keith1010

Crystal Named as One of the Top Cruise Lines by Cruise Critic In its 15th Annual Editors’ Picks Awards

Miami, December 06, 2023

Editors Picks Cruise Critic

Cruise Critic®, the world’s leading cruise reviews site and online cruise community, has named the winners of its 15th annual Cruise Critic Editors’ Picks Awards – the industry’s most comprehensive awards – recognizing the best cruise lines of the year, as chosen by the site’s international team of cruise experts.

Crystal was recognized as one of this year’s best cruise lines in both the US and UK awards, winning:

• Best Service (Luxury Category)
  • Best for Solo Travelers (Luxury Category)

“We are honored to have Crystal recognized in two categories by the editors of Cruise Critic, both in the US and UK awards,” said CEO of A&K Travel Group Cristina Levis. “Exceptional service is one of our key pillars and with more than 80% of our beloved crew returning during our relaunch, to once again be recognized by our industry peers is an esteemed accomplishment.”

“With the trend of solo traveling continuing to rise, we are proud of the accommodations and programming we offer our solo guests and look forward to welcoming more single cruisers in 2024,” Levis added.

Guided by the Cruise Critic editorial team’s impartial cruise expertise – based on first-hand experiences and industry knowledge – the awards name the best-in-industry while also helping travelers select the best cruise for their specific interests and needs.

“This was a banner year for the cruise industry,” explains Colleen McDaniel, Editor-in-Chief of Cruise Critic. “On Cruise Critic, we saw demand for cruises surpass pre-pandemic times, and a number of lines reported ships sailing at over 100% capacity. Cruising has always been a high-value vacation, but with costs of land- and air-based travel through the roof, the true value of a cruise really hit home this year.”

For the full details of this year’s winners, visit 2023 Cruise Critic Editors’ Picks Awards.

Cruise Critic is the world’s largest cruise reviews and information site, offering a comprehensive resource for cruise travelers, featuring more than 50 million opinions, reviews & photos and hosts the world's largest online cruise community.

About Crystal
For more than three decades Crystal has been synonymous with exceptional, award-winning voyages. In 2022 A&K Travel Group acquired the Crystal brand and its two vessels, Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony, ushering in a new era of Exceptional at Sea. The globally renowned cruise line offers discerning travelers industry-leading, authentic, and enriching experiences both onshore and at sea. Crystal’s pioneering partnership with Abercrombie & Kent provides guests with unparalleled access to the most sought-after experiences, destinations, and the latest cultural makers around the world.The reimagined ships boast larger, updated suites with artisanal finishes, new cutting-edge wellness offerings, spectacular entertainment, and complimentary world-class dining - including the return of UMI UMA - the only dining experience by Michelin-Star Chef Master Chef Nobuyuki (Nobu) at sea. With a legacy of unrivaled service and commitment to sophistication and elegance at every touchpoint, once on-board passengers feel as if they are perfectly at home.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I'm not sure how well Crystal look after solo travellers with high prices and small accommodation as has been mentioned by some solo travellers on here before.

I'm a solo traveler, and Crystal is doing more for solo travelers than their competitors, so I'm fine with it.  

Are there certain cruises that are more expensive than others for solos on Crystal?  Sure.  

Are there certain cruises that are discounted more than others for solos as a limited offering promotion?  Sure.  

Both are the case with Crystal's competitors as well, so anyone is welcome to chase that greener grass if they think it's out there.  Spoiler alert though -- mostly what other lines are offering are just individual promo offers (like Crystal) which may individually be a good deal on a sailing, and not a more solo-friendly schema than other lines, IME.

Vince

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I'm not sure how well Crystal look after solo travellers with high prices and small accommodation as has been mentioned by some solo travellers on here before.

Rooms with solo travelers in mind.  I don't hear them complaining about the room size.

Single supplements. Not like they were but still offered.

Ambassador Hosts for those who like to Dance.

Ability to sign up for shared dinners.

So it goes.

• Like 2

I agree 100% with Service.  disagree with the win for best for singles.  I sailed in one of those cabins once (on OC) and never booked it again and never will.Horrid locations and it astounds me that doubles actually book those cabins.  I am spoiled by Silversea and Seabourn and their suites and all the room they afford for a single or a couple.  The low single fares on Explora is very attractive and I booked a suite as a single on them. 

Service on Crystal is amazing and DH and I are looking forward to experiencing it again this month.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, cruisr said:

I agree 100% with Service.  disagree with the win for best for singles.  I sailed in one of those cabins once (on OC) and never booked it again and never will.Horrid locations and it astounds me that doubles actually book those cabins.  I am spoiled by Silversea and Seabourn and their suites and all the room they afford for a single or a couple.  The low single fares on Explora is very attractive and I booked a suite as a single on them. 

Service on Crystal is amazing and DH and I are looking forward to experiencing it again this month.

Totally to each their own on this, as a solo...  If I can't get a midships stateroom, I strongly prefer being forward to being aft.  The stateroom size is perfect for me as well, especially relative to the price.  Sure, when other lines have specials (or Crystal on other categories) and you can book suites on them for a great deal that's nice, but most of the time you're spending a lot more for that extra space, and it's wasted on me.  Other lines have staterooms and suites just as forward (if not more so) as Crystal's solo staterooms, so it's not like booking another line guarantees a great cabin location anyway -- you may well end up in the same boat, just on another boat.

Vince

• Like 1

I will be able to say more about the „best for solo travelers“ after my next cruise. I have booked one of those solo cabins forward because of the price. It is the first time in my whole cruising history (more than 70 cruises) with several cruise lines, that I have booked a cabin that forward.  Usually I book midship. My previous booked (and cancelled ) cruises with the OC had a much better location. 

The lower solo supplement is for me the most important characteristic of Crystal, which is diminish in value to me  by the locations of those solo cabins.

Nice to have the dance hosts but they are not only for solo passengers. Many couples, in which their partners do not dance, are also enjoying the possibility of having dance hosts. And many solo travelers (including me) do not really care about having dance hosts or not.

The possibility to have share dinners with others (solos or not) is available in all cruise lines I have sailed. It is not exclusive to Crystal. And at Crystal ships, many passengers know each other, so they do not necessarily benefit from sharing with new people, because they share with their friends. Old friends meeting on ships and sharing happily together. I wonder if solo travelers would feel welcomed in those groups of friends.

And yes there are cruise lines, which are more expensive for solo travelers than Crystal but there are also plenty of other cruise lines which are cheaper for solo travelers than Crystal, even if the solo passenger does not receive a solo discount in those other cruise lines.

And I agree 100% about the „best service“ nomination.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 5

Just like each of us has opinions these awards are based on the opinions of CC.  So some will agree and others won't. Nothing new.

As to solos if their narrative gives their reasoning for this and it includes other factors beyond the ones that have been discussed and that includes the many activities that Crystal provides on board many that solo guests might enjoy.

The good news from my perspective is last year Crystal didnt' win any and here they have been sailing a few months and picked up some. The fact that they are back to me is an award in itself.

Keith

• Like 2

One of the hallmarks of quality is history - the New Crystal is only a few months old & the award was for service - not overall line. a little premature.

Perhaps when the new ships come out & are sailing for a while this "award" will be reevaluated.  Service should be excellent on a "luxury "line, but until the new ships do have a break in period I see no reason to sail NC on OC ships.

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Ivi that category was for the Ocean Lines not the luxury lines which is why Crystal nor any of the luxury lines are shown.

This is the one for the luxury lines.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/editors-picks/luxury/

Keith

Ah Ok Keith. This is the list you have already posted at the beginning of this thread then. Thank you for the clarification.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2023 at 3:06 PM, Cruise-y said:

Here’s a screen shot of all of Cruise Critic’s 2023 Editor’s Picks for the Luxury Category. 

IMG_6021.jpeg

Do you really agree that the best dining is Oceania?  I do not understand this choice.  I have been on Seabourn, Regent and Crystal, and IMHO, they are all better than Oceania.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruise_loverinlaval said:

Do you really agree that the best dining is Oceania?  I do not understand this choice.  I have been on Seabourn, Regent and Crystal, and IMHO, they are all better than Oceania.

These awards are so subjective without knowing the criteria used to rank lines (assuming there were criteria) - take them for what they are - opinions. I’ve never cruised on Oceania but I have to wonder if they’re that great why doesn’t everyone cruise on them? We felt the new Explora Journeys dining was exceptional - but once you’re at a certain level how much does it really matter? 

40 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

These awards are so subjective without knowing the criteria used to rank lines (assuming there were criteria) - take them for what they are - opinions. I’ve never cruised on Oceania but I have to wonder if they’re that great why doesn’t everyone cruise on them? 

We cruised Oceania because they were purported to be the best in dining and were very disappointed (although we loved the Med itinerary). They did provide outdoor dining on a top deck every night with a nice grill/buffet (cooked-to-order rock lobsters and steaks), but the rest of the specialty restaurants required very far-ahead reservations (and were good but not great). There were fun cooking classes, but one had to reserve so far in advance that it was almost impossible to get in. The main dining room was abysmal. Plus there was literally zero entertainment or enrichment.  I'll never cruise with them again. And I know others disagree. This is JMO.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, cruise_loverinlaval said:

I am not really sure how the awards are given, but we have cruised with Oceania and were very satisfied. Last cruise with them was a 35 days cruise and the food was very good. The menu kept a good variety and we have always enjoyed our meals. The specialty restaurants were excellent, specially the Asian one.

Having said so, and judging from the opinions of the guests who have already sailed with Crystal, I guess Crystal will be the winner in the category best dining for the year 2024. 

Ivi

• Like 1