DIY Chankanaab

dmori

Hey all! Contemplating Chankanaab for our family of 4 (2 kiddos age 11&13). Thinking a taxi and PAYG with paying admission at the gate is the way we will go, if we do. I've combed tons of reviews and have decided with the crappy options for AI (mediocre buffet and bar both a distance back towards the entrance) this is what suits us best. My kids are fish and will be in the water snorkelling the whole time. I'd like a lounger in the sun and clean ocean water to swim in when I feel the need. Hubby wants an activity in port with lesser crowds with a mix of the above. There are 7 ships in port this day! Eek!

Couple questions for feedback:

1.) is it going to be busy busy? Is there a chance with no prepaid tickets (excursion, etc) that we would be declined admission? That many persons in port makes me nervous not having a guaranteed reservation. 

2.) What are the independent vendor food and drinks like? Better than buffet reviews? I'm also a foodie and while not expecting an authentic experience at a ((tourist trap)) I would like the option for an edible lunch at tourist prices at least. Any suggestions/recommendations? Are there any neighbouring restaurant options? 

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the feedback. Cheers 🙂 

13 hours ago, dmori said:

Hey all! Contemplating Chankanaab for our family of 4 (2 kiddos age 11&13). Thinking a taxi and PAYG with paying admission at the gate is the way we will go, if we do. I've combed tons of reviews and have decided with the crappy options for AI (mediocre buffet and bar both a distance back towards the entrance) this is what suits us best. My kids are fish and will be in the water snorkelling the whole time. I'd like a lounger in the sun and clean ocean water to swim in when I feel the need. Hubby wants an activity in port with lesser crowds with a mix of the above. There are 7 ships in port this day! Eek!

Couple questions for feedback:

1.) is it going to be busy busy? Is there a chance with no prepaid tickets (excursion, etc) that we would be declined admission? That many persons in port makes me nervous not having a guaranteed reservation. 

2.) What are the independent vendor food and drinks like? Better than buffet reviews? I'm also a foodie and while not expecting an authentic experience at a ((tourist trap)) I would like the option for an edible lunch at tourist prices at least. Any suggestions/recommendations? Are there any neighbouring restaurant options? 

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the feedback. Cheers 🙂 

If I can make a suggestion, try renting a cabana there pre cruise.  Or if not try pre purchasing tickets online.  Much quicker at the window.  Food is not 5 star Michelin. 

• Like 1

I am going to answer your questions here to avoid derailing the other thread.

I am unsure regarding buffet and drinks whether you mean AI’s in general or Chankanaab? I have only been to Chankanaab once, several years ago after avoiding for many years, because I am usually on a budget and didn’t want to pay the entrance!

We joined my daughter and grandson, who were on a ship excursion, and we did PAYG. I was pleasantly surprised and would certainly repeat - in fact we had it booked on a cruise that got cancelled. It was busy but plenty of space to spread out. I have no recollection of how many ships were in port.  She had the buffet which was nothing special but adequate, we ordered from a roving waiter and it was good - definitely the way to go by choice but when the ship has a sale sometimes the included buffet excursion price is too good to miss, as happened when we re-booked! Excursion also included taxi fare which was flexible timing so keep an eye on what the ship offers but perfectly simple to do your self and search for online $$ off coupon.

Cozumel is used to handling 8 ships. It never bothers us even when staying on the island but then we don’t normally frequent the popular family oriented locations so it is hard for me to assess.  I doubt you would be unable to purchase an entrance ticket but always best to have a plan B. Personally, if within your budget and your husband wants relaxing, I would second the suggestion for one of the cabanas at the Cabana Beach area as i sted in the other thread. (Disclaimer, I haven’t checked prices recently and I know they were creeping back to pre-Covid levels so may be overpriced again by now.) If so I would have no problem with a palapa - they were not elbow-to-elbow like Paradise beach as I recall but they are first come first served.

Chankanaab is an enclosed national park there are sub-contractors within the enclosure so a few different food vendors, which you can see from the Chankanaab park map, but no nearby restaurants outside.

@mitsugirly has some detailed photo intensive reviews of the park, ( and probably all the other places I mention, albeit somewhat dated now and before Cabana Beach). Also I am not sure if the adult zipline and paintball have resumed but certainly the kids Xtrem closed down so although there are extra attractions some for a free, some included, I don’t know how many would appeal to your kids at their age.

I have also only been to Allegro once (again because of grandson) but my experience of hotel resort day passes in general is that they are much quieter than the cruiser oriented beach clubs. Occidental next door has better food but beach is better at Allegro.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2976139-short-review-of-day-pass-at-allegro-beach-resort/#comment-66532151

East side, you would definitely want to book a driver to stay with you and whilst most of the bars , like Rasta’s, are more adult oriented- (only be cause there are no commercial organized activities available for kids on east side) I still think Punta Sur could offer possibilities and be quieter. 

I also think  Buccanos could fulfill your requirements.

I am confused as to what has put you off Nachi and what you are looking for instead?

Edited by c-leg5

54 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I am going to answer your questions here to avoid derailing the other thread.

I am unsure regarding buffet and drinks whether you mean AI’s in general or Chankanaab? I have only been to Chankanaab once, several years ago after avoiding for many years, because I am usually on a budget and didn’t want to pay the entrance!

We joined my daughter and grandson, who were on a ship excursion, and we did PAYG. I was pleasantly surprised and would certainly repeat - in fact we had it booked on a cruise that got cancelled. It was busy but plenty of space to spread out. I have no recollection of how many ships were in port.  She had the buffet which was nothing special but adequate, we ordered from a roving waiter and it was good - definitely the way to go by choice but when the ship has a sale sometimes the included buffet excursion price is too good to miss, as happened when we re-booked! Excursion also included taxi fare which was flexible timing so keep an eye on what the ship offers but perfectly simple to do your self and search for online $$ off coupon.

Cozumel is used to handling 8 ships. It never bothers us even when staying on the island but then we don’t normally frequent the popular family oriented locations so it is hard for me to assess.  I doubt you would be unable to purchase an entrance ticket but always best to have a plan B. Personally, if within your budget and your husband wants relaxing, I would second the suggestion for one of the cabanas at the Cabana Beach area as i sted in the other thread. (Disclaimer, I haven’t checked prices recently and I know they were creeping back to pre-Covid levels so may be overpriced again by now.) If so I would have no problem with a palapa - they were not elbow-to-elbow like Paradise beach as I recall but they are first come first served.

Chankanaab is an enclosed national park there are sub-contractors within the enclosure so a few different food vendors, which you can see from the Chankanaab park map, but no nearby restaurants outside.

@mitsugirly has some detailed photo intensive reviews of the park, ( and probably all the other places I mention, albeit somewhat dated now and before Cabana Beach). Also I am not sure if the adult zipline and paintball have resumed but certainly the kids Xtrem closed down so although there are extra attractions some for a free, some included, I don’t know how many would appeal to your kids at their age.

I have also only been to Allegro once (again because of grandson) but my experience of hotel resort day passes in general is that they are much quieter than the cruiser oriented beach clubs. Occidental next door has better food but beach is better at Allegro.

East side, you would definitely want to book a driver to stay with you and whilst most of the bars , like Rasta’s, are more adult oriented- (only be cause there are no commercial organized activities available for kids on east side) I still think Punta Sur could offer possibilities and be quieter. 

I also think  Buccanos could fulfill your requirements.

I am confused as to what has put you off Nachi and what you are looking for instead?

Thanks for the reply! By AI I was meaning Chankanaab, so you were on point with the recommends there! I will definitely watch for excursion options with the cruise line! Unless we find a deal, as you mentioned, we will plan for the PAYG route. Sounds like the sub-contractors will have some decent offerings. I saw that there does seem to be space to spread out with loungers and palapas and did stumble across @mitsugirly blog with great info and pics! I also looked into the Cabana Beach option and the fee is now $115US Cabana fee plus $17US p/p so puts us more than i'd ideally like to invest. I think Nachi would offer us the same level of solitude for lesser! 

All this into consideration, hubs and I agreed that either Allegro or Chankanaab could be a good compromise for what the family wants. As you mentioned a lesser crowd with day pass and I was impressed with how uncongested Chankanaab appeared to be (both pros for hubby) in my combing of pictures and reviews. I guess, ideally, we are looking for a venue offering a little more for the kiddos without having to book a further excursion (ie: snorkelling trip from Nachi). The kids do enjoy playing in the sand and may as well both be fish. They both enjoy snorkelling so that alone should offer a couple hours of entertainment while I lounge in the sun. Hubby liked the looks of @mitsugirly snorkelling pics also and said that he would too enjoy it. These are the only reasons we are reassessing our initial decision to head to Nachi. I would love the opportunity to check it out next time we cruise without kids. I did check out Rasta's and Buccanos as well and will keep those in my back pocket for a future visit. 

Punta Sur - I haven't researched it much. Sorry, I may have missed it previously, but would we require a day hire for taxi as well there? 

4 minutes ago, dmori said:

Thanks for the reply! By AI I was meaning Chankanaab, so you were on point with the recommends there! I will definitely watch for excursion options with the cruise line! Unless we find a deal, as you mentioned, we will plan for the PAYG route. Sounds like the sub-contractors will have some decent offerings. I saw that there does seem to be space to spread out with loungers and palapas and did stumble across @mitsugirly blog with great info and pics! I also looked into the Cabana Beach option and the fee is now $115US Cabana fee plus $17US p/p so puts us more than i'd ideally like to invest. I think Nachi would offer us the same level of solitude for lesser! 

All this into consideration, hubs and I agreed that either Allegro or Chankanaab could be a good compromise for what the family wants. As you mentioned a lesser crowd with day pass and I was impressed with how uncongested Chankanaab appeared to be (both pros for hubby) in my combing of pictures and reviews. I guess, ideally, we are looking for a venue offering a little more for the kiddos without having to book a further excursion (ie: snorkelling trip from Nachi). The kids do enjoy playing in the sand and may as well both be fish. They both enjoy snorkelling so that alone should offer a couple hours of entertainment while I lounge in the sun. Hubby liked the looks of @mitsugirly snorkelling pics also and said that he would too enjoy it. These are the only reasons we are reassessing our initial decision to head to Nachi. I would love the opportunity to check it out next time we cruise without kids. I did check out Rasta's and Buccanos as well and will keep those in my back pocket for a future visit. 

Punta Sur - I haven't researched it much. Sorry, I may have missed it previously, but would we require a day hire for taxi as well there? 

Sounds like you are assessing well and have a good grasp! Hope you find something you enjoy and hopefully some ideas for future visits.

Punta Sur is another less developed national park. I would definitely suggest keeping a driver if you go there. It is a considerable distance from park entrance to amenities within the park, too far to walk, and as I think i mentioned cell phone service and electricity are very random over there. Whilst you are unlikely to be completely left for the night I would not take any chances if I had a ship to catch. Drivers are used to waiting and hanging out at beach clubs especially on the east side. Alternatives are drive your own rental, (which we wouldn’t do) or there are various follow-your-leader ATV, jeep tours etc,  that my husband definitely wouldn’t do! There is an electric bike tour which I think buses you out there and then you ride the bike. Maybe options for the future.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dmori said:

For Punta Sur, yes, if not driving, you need a taxi hire.  It is beautiful and probably one of my favorite parts of the island.  But on a cruise ship day it isn't always feasible because of the distance.  I would only do it if my ship was docked 7a to 6p just so I could get the most out of the day.  We have been there via car on cruise stop and a few times on land stays and, although we are pretty comfortable driving around Cozumel and to Punta Sur, it isn't something we would recommend for day cruisers unless going with a tour or a hired taxi up and back.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We are just back. We took a taxi to Chankanaab. It was very nice. We sat under palapas and went snorkeling. It isn't the best but not bad for snorkeling, you do have to go down stairs into the water. We enjoyed it there. We also went to the free Sea lion show , it was cute!

RIMG0116.JPG

• Like 2