Chardonnay on premium pkg?

39august

@39august  Steel without the e - Steel Chardonnay is a Louis Jadot wine.

I absolutely detest oaky Chardonnays and given my druthers, I'd drink a white Burgundy or a nice Chablis. Steel Chardonnay is always my choice onboard since I don't want to spend a bunch of money buying bottles of Chablis. They don't always have it in every restaurant. 

Edited by mrgabriel
  • Thanks 1

Steele with an extra "e" was a Lake County winery founded by Jed Steele, former wine maker(many years ago) at Kendall Jackson.  It's since been sold to Clay Shannon of Shannon Ridge.  It was a decent Wednesday night wine.  

I think, given the list, I'll see if the Reserve Pinot from Kendall Jackson is drinkable, and stick with the Louis Jadot for white.  O.k., and I might have to try the Mlabec!  🤣

Edited by Blazerboy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, 39august said:

Any comments on the Louis Jadot chardonnay on the premium menu?  In past years I found that the French chards were not my cup of tea, so to speak. 

That’s the Steel. It tastes wonderful. Crisp, clean, some nice fruit notes. It does not taste like a stick of butter left in a wooden churn. Which is a good thing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 39august said:

Any comments on the Louis Jadot chardonnay on the premium menu?  In past years I found that the French chards were not my cup of tea, so to speak. 

Is there something in particular that you don’t like about French Chardonnay? 

1 minute ago, wineoclock said:

I thought the Mer soleil was dreadful! 

Mer Soleil is a $15 Monterrey chardonnay.   It isn't going to match a good French white.   You need to try a good Napa or Sonoma chardonnay, a Napa cab or a Sonoma zin.   

Saying you don't like California wine because you didn't like Mer Soleil would be like saying you don't like Kentucky Bourbon because you tried Old Crow and didn't like it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, wineoclock said:

Not the ones I’ve tried. I thought the Mer soleil was dreadful! I did blind wine tasting at berry brothers and I only liked the old world wines - I think it says my palate isn’t as varied as I’d like. I accept my loss! 

Try something unoaked or neutral oak from Russian River or Carneros. Totally different animal than Monterey (or the heavily oaked 100% malolactic chards from Napa). 

• Thanks 1