1 Star Mariner

happytotravel

Hi All,

I will be doing a b2b. This will be my first time on HAL.  If I understand correctly my 2nd segment will make me a 1 star Mariner.  Will I be getting the following benefits on my return segment?

• Mariner Society Welcome Onboard Lunch
  • A special collectible gift presented to you on board
  • "Mariner Cocktail" voucher to be used anytime during the cruise
  •  

Thanks, happytotravel

Do you have one booking number or two booking numbers for your B2B cruise?

Did you put these two segments together on your own and book them at two separate times,  or was it a combined package offered by HAL.

If you have two different booking numbers, it is my understanding your One-Star benefits will kick in on your second segment .But if there is only one booking number, they may not apply until you take another separate HAL cruise.

Waiting for others to comment from their own experiences with this good question.  

We tacked on an extra and separately booked segment on our last cruise - same ship, same cabin just a longer itinerary and we were allowed to collect two separate CCL share onboard credits for what was now a defacto single 21 day cruise. But with two separate booking numbers.

54 minutes ago, happytotravel said:

Will I be getting the following benefits on my return segment?

• Mariner Society Welcome Onboard Lunch
  • A special collectible gift presented to you on board
  • "Mariner Cocktail" voucher to be used anytime during the cruise
  •  

there is nothing special about the welcome lunch...it's just a sit down regular (actually limited menu if I remember correctly) lunch.  The gift has been a tile coaster with a holland america logo on it....and the mariner cocktail voucher doesn't matter at all if you are on have it all....and if not, it's a $10 cocktail.  I wouldn't fret much about getting or not getting the benefits. 

• Like 1

Being enrolled in the Mariner Society is NOT the same as being a 1* Mariner.

From the HAL Website (https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/plan-a-cruise/get-ready-for-your-cruise/mariner-society)

Mariner Society

When you cruise with Holland America Line, you’re automatically enrolled in our Mariner Society®. ...

★ — One cruise completed

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Not true - unless you provide proof of previously sailing on a sister line. You need to complete one cruise to become a 1* and receive any benefits.

That’s the way it has been as long as I can remember.

10 minutes ago, sailawayward said:

you are wrong.

I think not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, sailawayward said:

never cruised before until this past June on a 14-day cruise on the Rotterdam and was a 1-star mariner before boarding.  we booked the cruise on our own and were told that all new passengers were 1-star mariners. 

Trying to clarify - You are a one star mariner after your first completed cruise.  From the HAL website:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/marketing-assets/PDFs/HAL-Mariner-Society-Grid-Updates.pdf

And a quick screen shot of the key words.

IMG_1778.thumb.png.aed15719691b294068d6a444ecf2073d.png

HAL assigns a Mariner number with your first booking so that you can start building on your mariner status. And yes, your key card will probably show 1 star once you are on board as it is anticipated you will complete the cruise.  You are on the ship after all. 😉 

Benefits don’t start until the after the completed cruise I believe like the other star statuses.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I really don't know the ins and outs of the whole "Mariner" thing works. After we finished our first 11 day cruise with HAL we were suddenly "2* Mariners". We really don't care about "status" we will appreciate any perks that it brings but other than that, who cares? We came aboard as new guests so I guess if we get anything for being a 2* it will be on our next cruise. If it works out the same as last cruise we will actually have 3* "status" when we complete that cruise.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 2

Hi OlsSalt and others,

I have two different booking numbers so for me that makes it two different cruises according to you, OlsSalt.

And whatever the perks are it's fun to have them. My previous cruises were with NCL and being Sapphire gave me some very nice perks.

Thanks for everyone commenting.  happytotravel

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I really don't know the ins and outs of the whole "Mariner" thing works. After we finished our first 11 day cruise with HAL we were suddenly "2* Mariners". We really don't care about "status" we will appreciate any perks that it brings but other than that, who cares? We came aboard as new guests so I guess if we get anything for being a 2* it will be on our next cruise. If it works out the same as last cruise we will actually have 3* "status" when we complete that cruise.

I agree on the status thing.  It doesn’t make a whole lot of difference as far as I am concerned other than the perks/benefits it brings.  

If you achieve 3* that will be great since 3* is when it starts to get good.  25% off specialty dining, wine packages, etc.  4* is the magic number IMO with 50% off and free laundry.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sailawayward said:

How fortunate we were able to get the $400 onboard spending and the canvas bag with our very first cruise.

The $400.00 OBC had nothing to do with "Mariner status" that was probably part of another promotion. I think every cabin has the canvas bag, ours did.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

That is very interesting…. We too, were first-time HAL on same sailing,   We are still listed as 1*, FWIW.

I am not normally a “status” seeker either, but would like to know why the difference…. Out of curiosity only.

10 minutes ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

That is very interesting…. We too, were first-time HAL on same sailing,   We are still listed as 1*, FWIW.

I am not normally a “status” seeker either, but would like to know why the difference…. Out of curiosity only.

You will get to 2* once you get 30 day cruise credits.  You get a credit for each day you sail, another credit for every $300 you spend per day and if you are in a Suite double points for your days on board.

So, it all depends on how long your itinerary is and what cabin you have and what you have spent (whether it’s from HAL/TA OBC or your own $$).  A 7 day cruise at the max will only get you to 21 days.

A 14 day cruise at the max will take you to a 2* Mariner.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The $400.00 OBC had nothing to do with "Mariner status" that was probably part of another promotion. I think every cabin has the canvas bag, ours did.

Correct and every cabin does get a bag for the first port day.

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Correct and every cabin does get a bag for the first port day.

We we in an OV for the same 11-day sailing as @Blackduck59.   Yes, we did receive the bag, too.

But based on your previous post, it doesn’t seem that @Blackduck59 could have made 2* , even at “max” on an 11-day?  We definitely did not come close to the $300 per day, so I understand why our status did not change.

Again, not “important “ to me… I am still trying to navigate the way HAL operates (I am accustomed to sailing with lines that do not use a “status” system, so this is all new).

2 minutes ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

But based on your previous post, it doesn’t seem that @Blackduck59 could have made 2* , even at “max” on an 11-day?  

On an 11 day cruise IF you were in a suite and IF you spent the max, that would put you at 33 days which would make you a 2* Mariner since you would be in excess of 30 day credits.  Those that choose HIA (Have it All) gain a lot of spending credit from it.  And to clarify - it’s not just what you spend on board but what you pre-order as well on the HAl site (as long as you don’t cancel).

2 minutes ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

(I am accustomed to sailing with lines that do not use a “status” system, so this is all new).

I am somewhat surprised by that.  NCL has Latitudes, Princess has Captain’s Club, etc.  Even Oceania has a loyalty programme and after x cruises you get a free one.  Most lines reward past passengers.  It’s not “status” unless someone brags about it (and some people feel obliged to - not just on HAL - all cruise lines).  It’s about the perks / benefits you can get.  At least that is what it’s about for me.

• Like 1

So for how we got 2* status with one 11 day cruise, @kazu has it about right. It was an 11 day cruise, we were in a vista suite (I know it's a veranda cabin but they call it a suite, we'll take the points thanks). We got 11 days credit for on board spending, that was a mystery to me until @crystalspin gave an explanation as to how they calculate the on board spending credits with regard to the HIA perks.

• Like 1