Kahului

elainmir

I’ll add, “do it yourself” RTH is tough on the driver. I’m always the driver and it’s a long day for me. Of course you’ll be leaving from kahalui which makes the trip a couple hours shorter, but it’s still a long day. Can you hire a driver for the day? Employ a local and everyone gets to enjoy Hana. Win/win  . 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 5:35 PM, elainmir said:

We are looking at excursions for Maui in October 2024, I'm thinking of renting a car and doing the self guided tour to Hana.

There is ZERO chance I would do RTH on my own unless Kahului is an overnight port. There are so many variables in the drive, you cannot control or plan the timing.

• 2 weeks later...

We rented a car and DH did the driving. I think he actually enjoyed it; it's very scenic and windy. We were aiming to be back by 5ish for dinner but ended up having to wait for a tree to be cleared from the road. We had an overnight so we weren't stressed but we did make it back later than intended. Just be aware of that risk but we loved having the freedom to choose our stops with the app tour and stopping or going at our own pace.

2 hours ago, carohs said:

I think he actually enjoyed it; it's very scenic and windy.

I'm with you on this one-- I've done the RTH 20+ times and I always prefer to drive. The driver won't get to see all of the vistas, and it is a tiring day for them, but it is a very entertaining drive if one enjoys driving. 

2 hours ago, carohs said:

Just be aware of that risk but we loved having the freedom to choose our stops with the app tour and stopping or going at our own pace.

The app tours are great-- we've used Shaka and GypsyGuide (which I think is now called GuideAlong from a recent update). Our favorite is Gypsy/GuideAlong. 

20 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I'm with you on this one-- I've done the RTH 20+ times and I always prefer to drive. The driver won't get to see all of the vistas, and it is a tiring day for them, but it is a very entertaining drive if one enjoys driving. 

The app tours are great-- we've used Shaka and GypsyGuide (which I think is now called GuideAlong from a recent update). Our favorite is Gypsy/GuideAlong. 

Yes, you need to be one who enjoys driving. If you're in any way uncomfortable or hesitant as a driver, this road is better left to a tour operator. 

We did the GuideAlong tho I have heard both are great. My 10yo especially enjoyed it. He was like, "mom who is that?" And, "can you turn it back on?" Lots of history on the drive back to port. It was nice to have it too because cell service can be spotty. 

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Has anyone made the drive up to Haleakala on their own?  We have a car reserved, but wonder if we should find something else to do.  The ship excursion was sold out.

I've done it several times. Sunset is a much more civilized time to visit instead of getting up in the middle of the night to go up there for sunrise. I've even done the bicycle ride down once. 

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Has anyone made the drive up to Haleakala on their own?  We have a car reserved, but wonder if we should find something else to do.  The ship excursion was sold out.

Yes, have done it a number of times...both for sunrise and just driving up. Reading between the lines..."is it worth it"? (Whatever that means.) Yes, it is something you should do once. Sunrise is neat, but not required.

6 hours ago, odblnt said:

I've done it several times. Sunset is a much more civilized time to visit instead of getting up in the middle of the night to go up there for sunrise. I've even done the bicycle ride down once. 

6 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yes, have done it a number of times...both for sunrise and just driving up. Reading between the lines..."is it worth it"? (Whatever that means.) Yes, it is something you should do once. Sunrise is neat, but not required.

Thanks to both of you.   We won't be doing sunrise or sunset due to our time in port, but I'm a volcano nut and want to go to the crater.  I take it that the drive is not too difficult.  

14 hours ago, dfish said:

Thanks to both of you.   We won't be doing sunrise or sunset due to our time in port, but I'm a volcano nut and want to go to the crater.  I take it that the drive is not too difficult.  

I don’t think it’s difficult at all, just a little curvy. The Halemaumau Crater on the Big Island is more impressive (and active) though. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2023 at 9:42 PM, dfish said:

It is a National Park, so purchasing an annual Park Pass (good for all Parks) in advance will save you money, and probably reduce your time in line to get in.  If you are over 62, you can buy a life time pass for $80.

2 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

It is a National Park, so purchasing an annual Park Pass (good for all Parks) in advance will save you money, and probably reduce your time in line to get in.  If you are over 62, you can buy a life time pass for $80.

I have my life time pass, thanks!