Dress Code and Themes

Giles2000

We got these silvery ones from SHEIN. They went well with the grey gown in our profile pic for a few photos. There was no masquerade ball. We have similar in a gold colour.

They were €2.50 discounted to €2.00 (for two) as part of a larger order.

They have a large variety including lace ones that have been mentioned.

silvermasks.thumb.png.160168e18e96140f85477dddd26e461a.png

15 hours ago, Judyrem said:

Sounds fun but I will be solo, it could be cringey for me.

I looked at photos in the photog gallery one day and it bothered me that EVERY single picture was couples. I felt like the cruise was Noah's Ark and I was the only solo. But dammit, I wanted a picture in my flapper dress, so I ignored the feeling and tried posing for a photo. 

Some photogs pose you like half of a couple, which leads to depressing pictures. Others are better. The guy at the atrium wasn't great. The woman by the clock (this was QE), was fun, and got a great shot. 

Tip for posing solo: go to the nearest bar and buy a glass of prosecco. Ask the bartender to put in some grenadine for color, and you'll have a prop to hold. Again, some photogs work with it, some are not as adaptable. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I looked at photos in the photog gallery one day and it bothered me that EVERY single picture was couples. I felt like the cruise was Noah's Ark and I was the only solo. But dammit, I wanted a picture in my flapper dress, so I ignored the feeling and tried posing for a photo. 

Some photogs pose you like half of a couple, which leads to depressing pictures. Others are better. The guy at the atrium wasn't great. The woman by the clock (this was QE), was fun, and got a great shot. 

Tip for posing solo: go to the nearest bar and buy a glass of prosecco. Ask the bartender to put in some grenadine for color, and you'll have a prop to hold. Again, some photogs work with it, some are not as adaptable. 

Kathy,

I know what you mean as we also watch the photos being done around the ship but especially at the Grand Lobby on the QM2.

The last trip after we were with you, we had a friend (solo) with us as a first timer on the Mary 2.

We were passing the GL after dinner and photos were being taken on the staircase. Of course the women coached me to taking a photo.

The photographer (a wonderful lady) posed us several times and what a wonderful job she did making us comfortable. And we were pleasantly happy to select one of the photos to purchase.

And having it in the bedroom, so happy to view each time I see it.

The point I am making is, she also made our guest also very welcomed and worked with her and she too purchased a photo to remember the trip and experience.

I know that there are other photographers that I am now and in the past not impressed with their talent of posing and also making the subject comfortable.

BTW.... I love Prosecco....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Good for you. I see the same 'Cunard couple' pose being taken over and over again, usually on the main atrium stairway on QV and it really does look so DARNED posed so I'm sure your photo was a breath of fresh air. 🙂

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Good for you. I see the same 'Cunard couple' pose being taken over and over again, usually on the main atrium stairway on QV and it really does look so DARNED posed so I'm sure your photo was a breath of fresh air. 🙂

The "Prom pose" is so last century!!  I refuse to do a stiffly posed picture. 

One of my favorite cruise photos is one I posed for us on QM2. DH had Parkinsons and standing up straight was a problem. I was coming down with a cold, but it was New Year's Eve and we were all dressed up. They were doing staircase photos. Rather than stand, he sat on a stair, and I sat one stair up, with my arm around his shoulder. Our smiles weren't great--his PH and my cold. A friend said we looked "elegant and a little world weary," which is kind of how we felt.

My flapper picture was funny. She asked if I could do the one foot "flapper pose," which is normally done with the woman's hand on the man's shoulder for balance. I told her to count to three and take the shot while I quickly got into position. We were both laughing, and it's a fun picture.

For Halloween, I wore purple and black with a big dollar store purple and black flower in my hair. I had gloves from a skeleton costume, and I held the glass so that the bones printed on the glove show. Photog was very helpful about posing. 

• Like 1

I'm trying to find live camera action of QV leaving but I'll answer this instead.

Funnily enough, I was thinking sitting on the steps would make a far better photo than 'the' pose where couples seem to be clinging on to one another for dear life.

Glad you got some photos. We also have some family cruise ones from way back. Relaxed but in our finery, is how I'd describe them and most definitely not posed as such.🙂

• Like 1

Some of our best pro photos are from QM2's Grand Lobby 3rd floor balcony.

One problem there is that the photographers don't seem to appreciate the bright spotlight on ceiling at other side of lobby as shown on this photo between our cheeks. I've blurred us as our expressions aren't great in that one. We haven't used it for anything else. We're to blame for the dance pose, which other than the hold isn't technically correct. I've removed the spotlight from most of the pics that we've used for display.

2022-06-10Roaring20s_DD_0071blur.thumb.JPG.0cc18f6ecf298f693b739efde96fdaed.JPG

Agree the best staircase ones are of my wife sitting alone. Indeed it's often the case that portraits of her alone look better than those that I appear in! 🙂

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, D&N said:

One problem there is that the photographers don't seem to appreciate the bright spotlight on ceiling at other side of lobby as shown on this photo between our cheeks. I've blurred us as our expressions aren't great in that one. We haven't used it for anything else. We're to blame for the dance pose, which other than the hold isn't technically correct. I've removed the spotlight from most of the pics that we've used for display.

Agree the best staircase ones are of my wife sitting alone. Indeed it's often the case that portraits of her alone look better than those that I appear in! 🙂

Both your feet look good in this photo! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The "Prom pose" is so last century!!  I refuse to do a stiffly posed picture. 

One of my favorite cruise photos is one I posed for us on QM2. DH had Parkinsons and standing up straight was a problem. I was coming down with a cold, but it was New Year's Eve and we were all dressed up. They were doing staircase photos. Rather than stand, he sat on a stair, and I sat one stair up, with my arm around his shoulder. Our smiles weren't great--his PH and my cold. A friend said we looked "elegant and a little world weary," which is kind of how we felt.

My flapper picture was funny. She asked if I could do the one foot "flapper pose," which is normally done with the woman's hand on the man's shoulder for balance. I told her to count to three and take the shot while I quickly got into position. We were both laughing, and it's a fun picture.

For Halloween, I wore purple and black with a big dollar store purple and black flower in my hair. I had gloves from a skeleton costume, and I held the glass so that the bones printed on the glove show. Photog was very helpful about posing. 

Wonderful post,thanks.

1 hour ago, D&N said:

Beautiful dress and a handsome couple!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

What are those?

That goes WAY back. I think it was a daytime thing. People wore costumes, usually that they had made, not purchased, and then paraded around the grand lounge or Queens room for all to see. There was a prize for best costume.  I remember it because a woman at our dinner table loved bingo. She saved her used bingo cards and pinned them to a jacket or dress, added a paper crown and called herself "The Bingo Queen." 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

That goes WAY back. I think it was a daytime thing. People wore costumes, usually that they had made, not purchased, and then paraded around the grand lounge or Queens room for all to see. There was a prize for best costume.  I remember it because a woman at our dinner table loved bingo. She saved her used bingo cards and pinned them to a jacket or dress, added a paper crown and called herself "The Bingo Queen." 

Good gracious. How extraordinary. I think they must have stopped before 1997. A friend who sailed on the original QM as a child won the children’s fancy dress comp, but I don’t think that is quite the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Good gracious. How extraordinary. I think they must have stopped before 1997. A friend who sailed on the original QM as a child won the children’s fancy dress comp, but I don’t think that is quite the same.

it was done on my 2 crossings on the QE2  in 1992 and 1998

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Janay11 said:

Ready for Gala nights. 

working on packing ideas.  I’m trying to avoid checking my luggage. 

image.jpg

Wow. How long are you going for? I would say take all your lovely dresses, but minimise shoes. If you happen to have silver sandals, they would go with all the dresses.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Wow. How long are you going for? I would say take all your lovely dresses, but minimise shoes. If you happen to have silver sandals, they would go with all the dresses.

14 nights at a guess ?

4 hours ago, Janay11 said:

Ready for Gala nights. 

working on packing ideas.  I’m trying to avoid checking my luggage. 

image.jpg

I think it's 21. Nora would need another 17 outfits! 🙂

4 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

14 nights at a guess ?

Edited by D&N

21 nights total 

I thought I answered, however I don’t see it. 
ido plan on wearing a couple of dresses twice,  I really don’t think anyone will notice.  Anyway,I’m ok with that

Edited by Janay11
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Janay11 said:

21 nights total 

I thought I answered, however I don’t see it. 
ido plan on wearing a couple of dresses twice,  I really don’t think anyone will notice.  Anyway,I’m ok with that

You seem to have the themes covered with what's in the photo. Of course nobody will notice if you wear a dress twice, and I believe your 21 days is effectively 3 x 7 days, so many of your fellow passengers will change each week anyway. (just realised I'm repeating Hattie's comment)

Most folk probably find it amusing, but one of our main reasons for a 2 week B2B Transatlantic from Southampton is for my wife to be able to wear as many outfits from her wardrobe as possible. We have the luxury of being able to take quite a large amount of luggage on economy flights from Nice to Heathrow and are fit enough to carry it all.

Have a great trip!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, D&N said:

You seem to have the themes covered with what's in the photo. Of course nobody will notice if you wear a dress twice, and I believe your 21 days is effectively 3 x 7 days, so many of your fellow passengers will change each week anyway. (just realised I'm repeating Hattie's comment)

Most folk probably find it amusing, but one of our main reasons for a 2 week B2B Transatlantic from Southampton is for my wife to be able to wear as many outfits from her wardrobe as possible. We have the luxury of being able to take quite a large amount of luggage on economy flights from Nice to Heathrow and are fit enough to carry it all.

Have a great trip!

Thank you Hattie 

D&N I am grateful for your kind response. 
yes , the 3x7 was a consideration in wearing the black and twenties dresses twice Also I’m determined to challenge myself regarding packing and lugging too much, as I usually do overpack. Time will tell. I can always check a bag  

• Like 2