Hurtigruten Random Impressions

anaco_angler

After more than a week onboard a Coastal Express sailing, following are some random impressions or comments:

Cabin: we have an outside cabin with a partially obstructed view between the lifeboats. We were warned it was small. It is, but compact may be a better description. There's adequate space and storage isn't bad, but it gets crowded, especially with bulky winter clothing. The bathroom is the smallest we've ever experienced on a cruise ship, and caution is needed: there's a higher than expected step up from the room to the bathroom, and a small but definite step down to the very tiny shower floor (curtain: no door). There are two electrical outlets on either side of the bed—more than enough to charge all your electrical devices. 
Dining: breakfast and lunch are open seating but you will be assigned a time and table for dinner. This information is with your check-in packet and I suppose you can try to change time or table. You will have 90 minutes for dinner. The disadvantage of assigned tables is that  you are eating next to the same people for 11 days, making it difficult to meet others. There seems to be a system of seating language groups next to each other.
Menus: there will be three choices at dinner, one meat, one fish, and one vegetarian. We have found the cuisine to range from outstanding to very good, especially the soups and fish dishes. Overall the food is a bit salty. Breakfast is excellent: eggs, meat, potatoes, awesome bread, fresh fruit, cheeses etc. Coffee taste is very personal, so I won’t comment beyond saying the cups are very small. 
Excursions: the few excursions we have taken have been excellent, though pricey. You'll save considerably by booking no board. 
Miscellaneous: there's no Kleenex in the room; bring your own. And bring plenty of lotion as your skin will get very dry (winter conditions). What we have missed the most is daylight. We’ve all heard about the polar nights but the experience is something else. There has been roughly two hours of daylight each day. 
Staff: fantastic, caring, helpful; can’t say enough positives. 
It's been an adventure. We've had brief glimpses of the Northern Lights but we’re hoping for a better display in the next few days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The ship is the Richard With and the cabin is a category J, Polar Outside. Public spaces are on decks 4 and 7. Deck 4 has seating areas near the Bistro and outside the main restaurant, Torget. And there are meeting rooms in the Exploration Center booking area where talks are given on excursions and daily activities. One meeting room is used for German, one for English. Deck 7 has the Explorer lounge and bar and the Multe ice cream and bakery. The outside observation area is also on deck 7 aft. This is the prime viewing area for Northern Lights activity, but being outside it is subject to wind and very cold temperatures. Public spaces generally do not seem crowded. 

• Thanks 2

when you talk about excursions being expensive, is this for basic going ashore/hiking, kayaking, zodiac rides?  or something more.  Trying to compare with other lines where everything is included (though on one the submarines are extra $$).

5 hours ago, bethtex said:

when you talk about excursions being expensive, is this for basic going ashore/hiking, kayaking, zodiac rides?  or something more.  Trying to compare with other lines where everything is included (though on one the submarines are extra $$).

Are you asking about Coastal Voyages or Antarctica?

If you are talking about Antarctica, the basic ashore hiking and zodiac boat cruises are included.

The snowshoeing, kayaking, and camping are extra but you have to win the lottery first.

I will have to search up the invoice for these additional costs, but I did not think them out of line.  Perhaps 80-150 pp?

5 hours ago, bethtex said:

when you talk about excursions being expensive, is this for basic going ashore/hiking, kayaking, zodiac rides?

45 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Are you asking about Coastal Voyages or Antarctica?

This topic is about Hurtigruten - Norway Coastal Express.

It is necessary to be more specific when asking questions - Hurtigruten is divided into two different companies 'Coastal Express' (Hurtigruten) in Norway and 'Expedition' (HX). While HX has quite a few excursions included, not much is included in Hurtigruten.

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

This topic is about Hurtigruten - Norway Coastal Express.

It is necessary to be more specific when asking questions - Hurtigruten is divided into two different companies 'Coastal Express' (Hurtigruten) in Norway and 'Expedition' (HX). While HX has quite a few excursions included, not much is included in Hurtigruten.

Sorry to have asked a question. 

Often these discussions go off track and I was not clear what the question was referring to.  

Sorry if I offended you.

With regard to my original observation that excursions are expensive, that was simply my personal impression, nothing more. For example, in Tromsø, the following excursions were offered while the ship was in port 14:15-18:00: The arctic capital Tromsø NOK 1880; Dog sledding NOK 3290; Polar history walk NOK 1071; Cross-country skiing NOK1701; and Snowshoeing in Tromsø NOK 1701. 
On reflection, however, Hurtigruten has arranged for these activities to be enjoyed during the period when the ship is in port. It would be nearly impossible for an individual to arrange a private tour to fit the ship's schedule, so comparing the Hurtigruten prices with those for private tours is probably unfair. We have taken three excursions during our trip and we felt we got good value for each one. The arrangements were seamless, the guides were professional, the scenery was stunning, and when food was included, it was exceptional. The tour we took in Ålesund, Tastes and traditions in Hjørundford, cost NOK 2490 pp but it was among the best shore excursions we have ever taken. It was expensive but worth it. Just think of it as part of the package. 

• Thanks 1

We just completed the 12 days Costal Express on trollfjord.We had an arctic superior room, 150 sq ft. I agree that it was cozy, but we did have enough storage. One side of the bed required you to get in bed facing the wall or you had to back up and try again- no room to turn around! 

We did book one excursion independent of the ship in Alta. It was a sleigh ride with the small polar horses.I think it was about $150 each, compared to a similar excursion provided by Hurtigruten for closer to $400. It was a highlight of the journey. Pick up and return at the pier.

Experiencing polar dark was as much fun as seeing the northern lights for us. We could certainly see well enough for walking around.

We found that all the staff were great.They were funny and joked with us, knowledgable when giving briefings, and great whenever we interacted.  We were blessed with calm seas and no rain, just the lovely snow almost daily.

Good advice about the dry heat- I could not drink enough water the whole journey, but it was made worse by wearing a motion sickness  patch. Once I took that off, it was better.

12 days was almost not long enough!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, doobieb said:

We just completed the 12 days Costal Express on trollfjord.We had an arctic superior room, 150 sq ft. I agree that it was cozy, but we did have enough storage. One side of the bed required you to get in bed facing the wall or you had to back up and try again- no room to turn around! 

We did book one excursion independent of the ship in Alta. It was a sleigh ride with the small polar horses.I think it was about $150 each, compared to a similar excursion provided by Hurtigruten for closer to $400. It was a highlight of the journey. Pick up and return at the pier.

Experiencing polar dark was as much fun as seeing the northern lights for us. We could certainly see well enough for walking around.

We found that all the staff were great.They were funny and joked with us, knowledgable when giving briefings, and great whenever we interacted.  We were blessed with calm seas and no rain, just the lovely snow almost daily.

Good advice about the dry heat- I could not drink enough water the whole journey, but it was made worse by wearing a motion sickness  patch. Once I took that off, it was better.

12 days was almost not long enough!

We arrived in Oslo Friday.  Glad you're having a great time.  We board on Tuesday.  Say hello to Alabama for us!  

Mike and Linda, Wedowee, AL

On 12/14/2023 at 1:49 PM, anaco_angler said:

With regard to my original observation that excursions are expensive, that was simply my personal impression, nothing more. For example, in Tromsø, the following excursions were offered while the ship was in port 14:15-18:00: The arctic capital Tromsø NOK 1880; Dog sledding NOK 3290; Polar history walk NOK 1071; Cross-country skiing NOK1701; and Snowshoeing in Tromsø NOK 1701. 
On reflection, however, Hurtigruten has arranged for these activities to be enjoyed during the period when the ship is in port. It would be nearly impossible for an individual to arrange a private tour to fit the ship's schedule, so comparing the Hurtigruten prices with those for private tours is probably unfair. We have taken three excursions during our trip and we felt we got good value for each one. The arrangements were seamless, the guides were professional, the scenery was stunning, and when food was included, it was exceptional. The tour we took in Ålesund, Tastes and traditions in Hjørundford, cost NOK 2490 pp but it was among the best shore excursions we have ever taken. It was expensive but worth it. Just think of it as part of the package. 

Thank you for your review.  We join the Trollfjord Tuesday!

Mike and Linda

@miklinga thinking about you on board MS Trollfjord. How is the water so far?
Lucky folks to be able to have such a long journey! Are you doing a B2B?

North Alabama weather to us feels colder than Norway! Our pictures look magical with all the holiday lights. Everything sparkles during Polar Dark time!

Hoping to hear your first impressions when you can share

.Debbie 

IMG_4178.jpeg

IMG_4100.jpeg

IMG_3750.jpeg

IMG_4179.jpeg

IMG_3864 2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

@doobieb - We had a great time on the MS Trollfjord but the Northern Lights only showed themselves once on our two-week journey and we missed them (probably around 2- 2:30 in the morning).  One of our neighbors on the ship did get pictures.  We really enjoyed the trip and the suite experience was great.  The food in Rost was excellent as was our waiter/ sommelier.  The ports were so much fun.  Mike and I did an alternate dog sledding trip in Tromso where he did the mushing for about an hour.  The Bucket-list trip we had booked was oversold and we were given two options.  I was the passenger in the sled and had the opportunity to mush half the trip, but did not think I could do the brake so Mike was in for the run.  Overall, our experience was great.  Being our 3rd Hurtigruten trip and our 3rd ship, we would keep them on our list of lines to consider for future travel. 

I hope are safe and warm in northern Alabama!  We're good in middle Alabama!

Safe travels, 

Linda 

On 12/21/2023 at 2:30 AM, doobieb said:

@miklinga thinking about you on board MS Trollfjord. How is the water so far?
Lucky folks to be able to have such a long journey! Are you doing a B2B?

North Alabama weather to us feels colder than Norway! Our pictures look magical with all the holiday lights. Everything sparkles during Polar Dark time!

Hoping to hear your first impressions when you can share

.Debbie 

IMG_4178.jpeg

IMG_4100.jpeg

IMG_3750.jpeg

IMG_4179.jpeg

IMG_3864 2.jpeg

@miklinga So glad to read your post! Sounds like a lot went right on your Hurtigruten journey. This was our 2nd trip, but our 3rd Hurtigruten ship. Our first journey went north from Bergen on one ship, and then we transferred at midnight somewhere and went south on another. It was all good, but this time we met more people, probably because we were all searching for the northern lights. Last time there was no special goal and most people on board were going home, or to visit family. 
I did not see the northern lights this trip, but everybody else we traveled with did.😝  Some could only actually see them via the iphone camera. 
We came home to our own version of snow and ice, and were snowd/iced in for 7 days.  We felt like our Norway adventure had prepared us well. And who knew we would find our shoe spikes useful here!

I heard today from friends in Bergen about their January snow- 70 cm in one storm.- electric buses could not always run, some homes closest to the harbor had doors and windows blocked by snow plows, cars stuck on the way home. I gather it was a lot even for Bergen, and not so typical.

Where to next?

We would go right back and repeat the Northern Lights trip tomorrow if we could.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, doobieb said:

@miklinga  And one more comment- we are watching True Detectives with Jodi Foster and pretending it is Norway, Polar Dark day 7 was last Sunday’s episode!

I'll haveb to check out True Detectives. 

We too would go on Hurtigruten again.  We have two cruises booked this year, but not on Hurtigruten. We have the month of May on Seabourn's Pursuit in the South Pacific (Papua New Guinea, Solomons, etc.) And then almost a month on Regent Seven Seas' Splendor from Lisbon down the west coast of Africa to Cape Town. If Mike doesn't have plans he gets antsy.

Safe travels wherever you go next!

Linda

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2023 at 1:33 PM, Kirstys1 said:

does anyone have a picture of the bar/wine menu on the coastal express? I know it’s expensive but I’m thinking of maybe a glass of wine with dinner so trying to look at budgeting for this. 

I don't have a price list but I remember prices being outrageous.  At least pick up a bottle or two in the duty free shop in the airport at Oslo when you arrive. You pass through it to exit the secure area.