Bit of a blog - HAL Oosterdam - South America & Antarctica - Dec/Jan 2023/24

NorbertsNiece

Hi all,

I've had a cruise nap and am off again!! My friend Geoff has his 70th birthday on Thursday and we'll be taking a bucket list cruise for him 😃

Always take a pic of your checked in luggage.

20231212_141451.thumb.jpg.e13ab3c1a90ecf42c3990dea838fe903.jpg

FYI the Aspire Lounge at NCL is well worth a visit.

If you're also boarding on Saturday feel free to share my page so others can follow us.

This will be our first cruise on HAL. You can expect loads of pics etc. Please feel free to ask questions and request info. For those new to me and my ramblings I'm a grandma of 6 boys, mother to 3 daughters. Retired from a couple of awesome careers far removed from the sea. Born and raised in London. Cruised as a child then more intensively since 2008 mostly solo. Previous blogs in sig.

Currently in business class lounge at Newcastle International Airport. I should've booked a through ticket but didn't so have to checkin again at London Heathrow 🤦‍♀️ Cruise, flights, pre and post cruise hotels booked through a UK TA.

Welcome aboard!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for taking us along @NorbertsNiece!  We will be on the Oosterdam SA & Antarctica cruise departing on January 29.  I am especially interested in packing tips, excursion experiences and activities during sea days.  I am hopeful that there will be a lecturer onboard to give us insights into the area.  Safe travels!

37 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Thank you for taking us along @NorbertsNiece!  We will be on the Oosterdam SA & Antarctica cruise departing on January 29.  I am especially interested in packing tips, excursion experiences and activities during sea days.  I am hopeful that there will be a lecturer onboard to give us insights into the area.  Safe travels!

I replied to your post in depth but it's vanished! Briefly, and garnered from the App:

Talks

2023 Movies

No one ever asks me for packing advice. Ever. And there's a reason. I use the fold, roll and chuck method. I do wear everything I  bring at least once. I do not send out laundry on a cruise unless there's a self service laundromat. Geoff is a Master Mariner. Laundry is a specialty!

My gate is due to be called.

🤞 THIS post makes it!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NorbertsNiece said:

No one ever asks me for packing advice.

We usually travel with only a carry on.  I realize it may be 100F in Buenos Aires and 32F or lower in Antartica.  I may need to check a bag for our cold weather gear.  I plan on layering.  With regards to packing, just wondering, as you cruise, if there is anything you are extremely happy you brought or something you wish you would have brought.

Wishing on time flights and the ability to sleep during your transatlantic.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 0106 said:

We usually travel with only a carry on.  I realize it may be 100F in Buenos Aires and 32F or lower in Antartica.  I may need to check a bag for our cold weather gear.  I plan on layering.  With regards to packing, just wondering, as you cruise, if there is anything you are extremely happy you brought or something you wish you would have brought.

We're away for 4 weeks.

I have loads of shoes. At home. Mostly Tom's. I bring a sparkly pair for gala nights and a plain pair for ship wear. One pair of Ecco walking sandals for excursions. One pair of Skechers because I had room. Currently wearing waterproof walking shoes.

The best thing I ever have brought with me and will place a pic once unpacked on board is a hanging shoe rack. Keeps the floor clear. And useful for storing bits and pieces.

Magnets for paperwork and highlighter pens for important items are right up there. Have brought magnetic hooks with for the first time. Previous experience in wonderful cabins is a lack of hooks.

Still on the ground. Passengers with assistance needs have now been very efficiently boarded.

• Like 2

Wonderful thread, looking forward to your informative and fun posts (loved your shoe descriptions).  Our fav cruise itinerary so we are excited and will be watching for your posts. Have a safe flight and enjoy this lovely ship. Thanks also for the links to your blogs which we will be reading one by one along with this thread.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

Bring long underwear for Antarctica - very lightweight and an easy layer to pack.  Also REI sells a great low turtle neck top that is windproof - so layer is long underwear, the turtle neck (you can use any one but you need to cover your neck)  fleece and rain proof/wind proof shell to go over it all. Hat and gloves are critical.  Water proof hiking shoes - this takes the place of sneakers so make sure they are comfortable.    In Antarctica it is the wind more than the cold that you must be concerned with in their 'summer'.  I had bought hiking pants that converted into capri's so no need to double pack.  I also wore them for casual nights with a nice button down sun shirt - long sleeve that I wore for 'cold' and warm weather. I wore my long underwear underneath the button down shirt if I was cold.  It was also nice that I could take it off if the weather changed when we were out - and stuff it in my backpack.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NorbertsNiece said:

Luggage took a while to be delivered. Checked in and security cleared.  I always get xrayed and patted down (hip prosthetic)

Currently sat in a Galleries Lounge at LHR. Boarding shortly. 16½ hours to Buenos Aires with a refuelling stop in Rio.

WOW. That is a very long flight.

• Like 1

I am getting more and more interested in a similar cruise for early late 2025 or 2026! I've been enjoying following along with the current Zaandam cruisers who were in Antarctica a month or so ago. 

Have a wonderful trip and thank you for your posts!

~Nancy

• Like 1

Around 0700 we landed in Rio. Clocks back 3 hours. Bit of a bumpy flight. Got well looked after. Business Class rocks! I can lay flat if I want.

Did not purchase on board wifi.

Currently sat on tarmac in Rio. People have disembarked. Their seats have been cleaned and the overhead lockers have been checked. 

London crew currently disembarking. New crew and any passengers to board.

Screenshot_20231212_223240_Flightradar24.jpg

Screenshot_20231212_223440_Flightradar24.jpg

Screenshot_20231212_230323_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231212_230423_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231212_230545_Chrome.jpg

20231212_233905.jpg

Gluten free dinner starter

20231212_234207.jpg

Geoff had smoked salmon

20231212_234500.jpg

20231212_235629.jpg

GF cod main 

20231213_001838.jpg

Dessert

20231213_081111.jpg

GF breakfast. Was offered an omelette as well which I declined 

20231213_084710.jpg

The crew presented Geoff with a bottle of bubbly and a card!

20231213_093252.jpg

20231213_095211.jpg

20231213_092002.jpg

20231213_090730.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Aloha. We have been b

to sail HAL since the 1970s and the Oosterdam and South America/Falklands and Antarctica as well. You will have a wonderful time in a wonderful ship and a wonderful priceless experience. We sailed a similar itinerary during Hanukkah and Christmas and New Year and it was magical. Looking forward to your posts and pictures especially of the food lol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1