Just off the Celebrity Ascent Inaugural

Bently57

What a refreshing review.! 

So many these days only focus on  alcohol packages and prices,  dinlng and things that have been dimished.

We too like to sit on deck and gaze...the beauty of the sea and sky are what draw us back.. ..

On EDGE i was lucky enough to get a personal plant " tour"  from a principal gardener..names, care and selection of the live plants!  It was awesome! 

(Quite a challenge on the salty sea!)

• Like 2

Hi, 

I prefer a traditional balcony, but an IV is okay with me. I agree that it is not really a balcony. However, I like the large floor-to-ceiling window and the fact that I can lower the top half of the window for some fresh air or to take photos. Overall, I really like the design, dining options, and entertainment on the new ships. 

Chuck

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bently57 said:

Overall, this cruise gets an A from me and my husband.  The ship was almost perfect, and why shouldn't it be, as it's brand spanking new.  There are some design issues for me personally, but still, in the big picture it is phenomenal.  The service onboard was just as stellar as the gleaming white ship.  At no time did I experience apathy from any cruise ship employee.  They were always cheerful and smiling, and some addressed me by name repeatedly.  I don't know how they do that!

We went Concierge Class this time.  We usually book Aqua, but this time out it was a little more expensive when we booked.  Later on we could have changed to Aqua at a minimum charge, but it would have meant changing rooms, and we liked our location so we passed on it.  So what this meant for us was no seating in Blu, and no access to the Aqua Spa.  As for Blu, it's nice and we like it a lot, but honestly...the four main dining rooms on this ship are so well run and maintained, we didn't feel like we were being 'demoted' in any way.  Our favorite was the Tuscany. Or is it Tuscan?  Anyway, I did miss the Aqua Spa, because only aqua and retreat bookings get you access to the front of the ship, and I always enjoy that.  That was the only negative to doing Concierge.

The cabin was definitely the best ocean veranda cabin we have ever experienced, outside of a sky aft suite we booked once on the Silhouette.  The bathroom in the veranda cabin was absolute perfection for such a small space.  The shower stall felt luxurious; everything about it felt luxurious.  And so much storage space for clothes in this cabin!  We didn't even use all of it.  It's quite amazing, really.  And now, for the "infinite veranda," let me say I wasn't expecting to like it much at all.  However, the opposite was true.  Because of the design, the room felt more spacious than any veranda cabin we have booked in all our cruises.  I liked the blackout blinds for sleeping, of course.  I had thought that the enclosed veranda with no sky above me would feel claustrophobic.  It just doesn't.  The large window that automatically raises and lowers really had me connecting with the outside.  We only closed the little folding doors once, but it's a nice feature to have.  In short, I would book one again in a heartbeat.  Also, it's kind of hard to compare this infinite veranda with a regular balcony because they're really two different things.  For me it's like comparing apples to screwdrivers.

The ship layout has its pros and cons.  MORE pros than cons, even though in order for me to explain the cons, it took a little more space than the positives.

PROS: The central atrium which includes parts of decks 3, 4 and 5 (correct me if I am wrong) is absolutely the best!  So many venues and bars are connected to it seamlessly.  It was always busy, but not crowded.  There was an air of excitement.  Pool deck: WOW. Probably the biggest pool I have ever seen and the hot tubs were beautiful.  The solarium and pool were a great place to go if you wanted to avoid the direct sun and the dance parties.  The bars at the back of the ship were great places to chill and relax. The theatre is by far a technological masterpiece with not a bad seat in the house.  Okay, maybe there might be a few at the extreme sides of the stage on the lower level, but there were always enough seats that I never saw anyone sitting there.  The shops were elegant.  Art throughout the ship was absolutely stunning.  The musical groups/performers were excellent!  As were the comedians and magicians.  So for entertainment, you can't go wrong on this ship! We loved the Club Room, which is kind of like a miniature version of the main theatre.  The Ocean Buffet was one of the best layouts I have ever seen on a cruise ship, and we were never ever disappointed in the food there.  Always easy to find a seat too.

CONS: As for the outside area, the one negative for me was that there is no promenade deck.  Instead, there is this track that winds around the ship on the upper two decks which you're supposed to use instead, but it's very awkward.  I wasn't a fan of that.  I have noticed that more and more new ship designs drop the promenade deck.  I assume because it's not a money maker for the cruise line.  What a shame.  Sometimes that is exactly what you want; a deck where you can connect with the outside in a more private way.  Just sit and stare at the ocean without interruptions.  Yes, there are some spaces on the upper decks where you can do that, but there are few of them...and sometimes there are no available seats.  On a typical promenade deck, you could usually always find a deck chair.  And now, my least fave part of the ship on the inside:  EDEN.  For me, it was dark and depressing.  All the walls are a dark dismal gray green color.  Artificial plants hang from the ceiling, which is also that gray green hideous color.  We went there several times to hear specific musical offerings.  And there were always plenty of seats.  I assume because like me, everyone finds it unwelcoming.  It's a really strange vibe, which is strange because there are all those huge windows.  I feel like this part of the ship is going to be redesigned very soon.  No one was ever in the shops or the spaces that bordered Eden.  A lonely place, and not one where you'd want to sit down and read a book or have a conversation.  Perhaps the restaurant on the lower level of Eden is really nice, but we didn't visit it.

Embarkation and debarkation:  GREAT; best I have ever experienced.

We loved it so much we booked an 11 day Panama Cruise on the Beyond for 2025.  I give this ship FIVE STARS.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this informative and upbeat review 

• Like 1

Thanks for the review!  We’ve sailed Apex and Edge and have Beyond coming in February.  We LOVE e-class and I can’t even get my spouse to consider any other class of cruise ship! One of the things we love the most are all the live plants on board, and Eden is possibly both of our favourite venues on any cruise ship ever! It is so chill and beautiful to our eyes and the night time shows are intimate and make us feel like we are in a special bar in NYC or something.  So I really hope there is no major redesign coming anytime soon and it is one of the few spaces that was left untouched when they moved from Apex to Beyond.

The great thing about a ship like Ascent with so many beautiful spaces is everyone can find spots that they love. 
Glad you enjoyed the IV also and I agree if you go in with the right mindset it can be perfectly good (though push come to shove I prefer an actual veranda).

Happy cruising!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Sort of " Off Topic " -- but for those that are not familiar with the IV ( Infinite Verandah )

From our experience---the " extra space " only made the cabin about 3 ft longer and really not a big difference to the "feel" of the room, plus, the window only came 1/2 way down. 

We much prefer the S Class ships with a " real " balcony on the " Hump " ( center of the ship ).

However, while there are many opinions, it does appear that the younger generation like the IVs.

Then there are those that like upside-down pineapple cake ( LOL). 

At this point I can’t say I like one better than the other. They’re so different. I like both!

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2023 at 10:54 AM, horseymike said:

Thanks for your review.

Would you please describe your dining experience ?

Never EVER disappointed in anything except for the one night I ordered cod. In the Cosmopolitan dining room. I was trying to be healthy by ordering fish. And it was served with quinoa which I forgot I am allergic to. So…I cannot fault the preparation of it. I fault myself. The steaks were fantastic. Pork chop in the Tuscany restaurant was outstanding. I like the hamburgers they serve on the pool deck. The buffet had the most variety and quality on any of the 10 cruises I have been on. 

• Thanks 1

Is there a very different clientele when doing Caribbean cruises from those in Europe?  We found it to be that way, so we are very leery about doing one on Ascent; should we be?  Sorry for this being a little off topic, but my DH and I are trying to figure this out, but do not plan to book another Caribbean cruise, although we have one next year on Ascent for the ABC islands...I hope it was just our experience on Beyond, in the Caribbean, because our other two on her in Europe were absolutely wonderful!

Edited by Lastdance

20 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Is there a very different clientele when doing Caribbean cruises from those in Europe?  We found it to be that way, so we are very leery about doing one on Ascent; should we be?

I think I understand what you're saying but I just have to say that we found the clientele to be very classy on our Ascent Caribbean cruise...and it was a 4 nighter followed by a 3 nighter..which typically lean toward booze cruises.  Having said that...maybe I'm the different clientele to which you're questioning 😁😂..

PS..I'm really just kidding!  

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Haha 3

On 12/12/2023 at 9:32 PM, Bently57 said:

We did get several mementos. A nice book on all the art on the ship, a locket necklace from Effy, a baseball cap, a large photograph of the ship, a bag and several other things. We did not visit any of the specialty restaurants as we have in the past. Reason being; the main dining rooms and buffet were out of this world. 

Hope they are still giving out some " inaugural" goodies in January.  I expect we will get the Art Bk..when we take the art tour . 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I think I understand what you're saying but I just have to say that we found the clientele to be very classy on our Ascent Caribbean cruise...and it was a 4 nighter followed by a 3 nighter..which typically lean toward booze cruises.  Having said that...maybe I'm the different clientele to which you're questioning 😁😂..

PS..I'm really just kidding!  

Hahahaha...no that wasn’t it at all;  I loved bourbon and peaches!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/15/2023 at 7:30 PM, Lastdance said:

Is there a very different clientele when doing Caribbean cruises from those in Europe?  We found it to be that way, so we are very leery about doing one on Ascent; should we be?  Sorry for this being a little off topic, but my DH and I are trying to figure this out, but do not plan to book another Caribbean cruise, although we have one next year on Ascent for the ABC islands...I hope it was just our experience on Beyond, in the Caribbean, because our other two on her in Europe were absolutely wonderful!

It wasn’t a booze cruise, if that’s what you’re asking. I only saw one inebriated person the entire week. It was a port day and she was headed back to the ship. So she must have hit her limit there in town. Not onboard. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bently57 said:

It wasn’t a booze cruise, if that’s what you’re asking. I only saw one inebriated person the entire week. It was a port day and she was headed back to the ship. So she must have hit her limit there in town. Not onboard. 

No, that was not my feeling at all.  It was just a different experience, maybe one that is just not for me personally.  I had not cruised the Caribbean for years, so that may have been a huge part too.  It just seemed blah to my DH and I.  Also it was very crowded, slow-moving and not that spark of diversity and clientele that I have come to enjoy.  I am sure others found it just the opposite.  Also, I was really excited to return to the Caribbean, but also a little unsure of how I would like it, so maybe the Caribbean is just not for me!  I love TA’s, especially with a b2b; some  My first two cruises on Beyond were excellent; this was a completely different experience.  I am just on the fence about doing another, even though it is on Ascent next year...afraid of a repeat from this year, I guess.  Furthermore, this was the first time I was ready to come home.  That’s just not me!

Thank you for your response.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

No, that was not my feeling at all.  It was just a different experience, maybe one that is just not for me personally.  I had not cruised the Caribbean for years, so that may have been a huge part too.  It just seemed blah to my DH and I.  Also it was very crowded, slow-moving and not that spark of diversity and clientele that I have come to enjoy.  I am sure others found it just the opposite.  Also, I was really excited to return to the Caribbean, but also a little unsure of how I would like it, so maybe the Caribbean is just not for me!  I love TA’s, especially with a b2b; some  My first two cruises on Beyond were excellent; this was a completely different experience.  I am just on the fence about doing another, even though it is on Ascent next year...afraid of a repeat from this year, I guess.  Furthermore, this was the first time I was ready to come home.  That’s just not me!

Hmmm.  It's hard to know what it is that you didn't care for.  Maybe you're  being vague in order not to offend any of us, LOL.  Anyway, I will say this:  The Caribbean is a MUCH traveled area for a lot of people, and they have been there many times.  Maybe an air of excitement was missing for you because of that.  Not that you personally have visited many times, but a lot of the other passengers have.  I myself have been to St. Maarten and St. Thomas too many times to count.  Also the Bahamas.  This last cruise had one port I was excited about that I had not been to (Punta Cana) but unfortunately the weather was mostly sour that day.  I have found that Southern Caribbean itineraries are more exciting. St. Lucia, Dominica, Grenada and several others are further out and a lot of casual cruisers don't want to take the amount of time it takes, nor do they want to board in Puerto Rico, which is often required for those.  As for the clientele on my cruise, it was definitely an older crowd who tend to eat early and go to bed early.  You always will have that, but it can vary.  And sometimes the older crowd just decides to stay up and party!  It's hit and miss with that on any cruise, anywhere.  I certainly didn't experience 'crowdedness' except for the first day, because most people are out and about exploring the ship and not in their rooms.  There WERE some younger passengers on this cruise.  I only saw three kids though, and they were adorable and well behaved.  I saw a few young couples with babies.  But overall, yes, on this trip the clientele seemed a little older than other Celebrity cruises I have taken to the Caribbean.  I don't know what the explanation for that is.  Diversity?  There was actually a lot of it. That's probably all I can contribute without knowing the specifics of what you found a little mehhh.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Bently57 said:

Hmmm.  It's hard to know what it is that you didn't care for.  Maybe you're  being vague in order not to offend any of us, LOL.  Anyway, I will say this:  The Caribbean is a MUCH traveled area for a lot of people, and they have been there many times.  Maybe an air of excitement was missing for you because of that.  Not that you personally have visited many times, but a lot of the other passengers have.  I myself have been to St. Maarten and St. Thomas too many times to count.  Also the Bahamas.  This last cruise had one port I was excited about that I had not been to (Punta Cana) but unfortunately the weather was mostly sour that day.  I have found that Southern Caribbean itineraries are more exciting. St. Lucia, Dominica, Grenada and several others are further out and a lot of casual cruisers don't want to take the amount of time it takes, nor do they want to board in Puerto Rico, which is often required for those.  As for the clientele on my cruise, it was definitely an older crowd who tend to eat early and go to bed early.  You always will have that, but it can vary.  And sometimes the older crowd just decides to stay up and party!  It's hit and miss with that on any cruise, anywhere.  I certainly didn't experience 'crowdedness' except for the first day, because most people are out and about exploring the ship and not in their rooms.  There WERE some younger passengers on this cruise.  I only saw three kids though, and they were adorable and well behaved.  I saw a few young couples with babies.  But overall, yes, on this trip the clientele seemed a little older than other Celebrity cruises I have taken to the Caribbean.  I don't know what the explanation for that is.  Diversity?  There was actually a lot of it. That's probably all I can contribute without knowing the specifics of what you found a little mehhh.

We also eat early, many times going to bed early too depending on what’s happening.  I asked for the breakdown of passengers, but those statistics really seemed off to me.  We ate with a couple in their 30’s several nights; they were very aware of the same issues, but still enjoyed their cruise for 9 days in the southern Caribbean.  I had my first bourbon and peaches on this cruise; I loved it!  

The crew is always very diverse, but the more the merrier for me.  One of my fondest memories was an 87 year old from London that I met a few years ago.  He was such a bright spot.  When he stuck his cane in the elevator door and I tried to pull it out, we laughed until we cried…he also had great photos of himself and the queen, as he owned a construction company.  He has since passed, but his personality, kindness and humor lives on in my memories.  

Anyway, thank you again for responding.  I am sure that the port/destination had a lot to do with this choice of venue, not to mention specific date.  I have a friend who just cruised the same time, so I’m awaiting her reply.  Also, a couple years ago, a cruise buddy of mine stopped cruising after her Caribbean cruise;  she lives in Florida, but will only consider overseas.  Her experience was different than mine though.

Edited by Lastdance

5 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

We also eat early, many times going to bed early too depending on what’s happening.  I asked for the breakdown of passengers, but those statistics really seemed off to me.  We ate with a couple in their 30’s several nights; they were very aware of the same issues, but still enjoyed their cruise.  

What statistics are you referring to, if you don’t mind me asking?

10 hours ago, Bently57 said:

What statistics are you referring to, if you don’t mind me asking?

The one’s from the cruise based on groups by ages…they were wrong, so obviously just a general rule of thumb, so to speak…I think we have hijacked this thread😜

15 hours ago, Lastdance said:

We are looking forward to.our 7 day cruise on ASCENT  next month.. We expect the ship will be amazing.  One port excursion we have reserved will be from St Kitts over to Nevis.. I recently took a short class about Alexander Hamilton based upon a book that compares historical & biographical works to the musical show  Hamilton on Broadway..Nevis has a  Hamilton museum,   and I'm  looking foward to that, plus the boat trip, scenery and lunch.

We enjoy cruising the Carib..It is easy to access from the US East Coast, esp our winter abode in Fl.. We have cruises booked on APEX and Silho..  We are not drinkers so not booze cruises for us!  Love the relaxing atmosphere, beautiful Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico.   Spa time!

We enjoyed our E and W Medit cruises too but for us they involve long flights.. and alot of walking!

Glad we  have options!

• Like 1