Nutritional Information

CruiseMob

Does Princess have the nutritional information available anywhere, either onboard or off? As an example, I was looking at pictures and saw what they called egg muffins at the International Cafe. I was trying to guess if they were like egg bites and if it was 1 egg or 2 eggs since they looked large. 

24 minutes ago, CruiseMob said:

Does Princess have the nutritional information available anywhere, either onboard or off? As an example, I was looking at pictures and saw what they called egg muffins at the International Cafe. I was trying to guess if they were like egg bites and if it was 1 egg or 2 eggs since they looked large. 

They are about the size of an egg mcmuffin. Believe it’s 1 egg.

If you have specific questions at the IC, there is a chef that handles that area. They could find out more for you, once OB.

16 minutes ago, CruiseMob said:

Does the app have any information with the menus?

No nutritional information.  If you’re looking for specific calories, you may need to talk with the Director of Restaurant Ops in the MDR, or your head waiter and tell them what you need.  They will do what they can to help.

One of my favorite items onboard is the egg muffin sandwich at IC!

It is better IMO than McD but not as good as the one at Starbucks. My estimation is one egg. If it means that much to you, I'd look online at the nutritionals for a McMuffin and the Starbucks version then average them. Likely a ballpark number.

• Like 1

Worse comes to worse, only eat half of everything!

Kind of asking for too much for Princess to provide nutrition facts.  Ingredients and recipes can change on a whim, and it's all dependent on what can be provisioned.  Using your egg muffins as an example, what if the ship got provisioned large eggs instead of medium eggs?  That would change the nutrition facts.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Worse comes to worse, only eat half of everything!

Kind of asking for too much for Princess to provide nutrition facts.  Ingredients and recipes can change on a whim, and it's all dependent on what can be provisioned.  Using your egg muffins as an example, what if the ship got provisioned large eggs instead of medium eggs?  That would change the nutrition facts.

Do the ships use medium eggs?  Do many restaurants?  IDK anyone who actually buys less than large eggs.  Not that I know everyone mind you.

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Do the ships use medium eggs?  Do many restaurants?  IDK anyone who actually buys less than large eggs.  Not that I know everyone mind you.

Buy and use Medium eggs all the time.  Also extra large, etc.  Interestingly, since it is a minimum size, many medium dozens include large eggs.  We've weighed them as the sizing is by weight. 50 vs 56 grams i recall, so not that big a difference. Because of folks with attitudes like your post, Medium eggs are often a great bargain.

Regarding nutrition, the yokes are often the same size, further complicating, but i dont expect the calories and other stuff M vs L, vs ExL are much different.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The eggs on ships seem small to me judging from the sunny side up ones they have at the buffet.  In food service, medium eggs are cheaper than large eggs.  In food service baking, it can make less sense to buy medium eggs since more eggs are needed to achieve the volume required in a recipe.  When there is avian flu going around, like last year, sometimes all you can get is medium eggs for food service because they send the large egg supply to supermarkets for the mass market consumption.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Pizzasteve said:

Buy and use Medium eggs all the time.  Also extra large, etc.  Interestingly, since it is a minimum size, many medium dozens include large eggs.  We've weighed them as the sizing is by weight. 50 vs 56 grams i recall, so not that big a difference. Because of folks with attitudes like your post, Medium eggs are often a great bargain.

Regarding nutrition, the yolks are often the same size, further complicating, but i don't expect the calories and other stuff M vs L, vs ExL are much different.

34 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

The eggs on ships seem small to me judging from the sunny side up ones they have at the buffet.  In food service, medium eggs are cheaper than large eggs.  In food service baking, it can make less sense to buy medium eggs since more eggs are needed to achieve the volume required in a recipe.  When there is avian flu going around, like last year, sometimes all you can get is medium eggs for food service because they send the large egg supply to supermarkets for the mass market consumption.

Thanks for the replies.  Any recipe I have ever seen calls for Large Eggs.  It seems to be the standard size in grocery.  Maybe I should take my small kitchen scale into a store and weigh a carton (dozen) of each size and see if any appreciable weight difference.  I have not researched the subject and wouldn't have thought the yolks are about the same size.

I will admit that recently I picked up a Medium carton of a brand I often buy by mistake and peaked inside before replacing it in the cooler and selecting a Large size.  I admit that the Mediums did not look all that much smaller and a couple appeared to be about same size as Large (without picking them out of the container for closer inspection). 

Your posts got me doing a little research.  I saw that indeed yolks are the same, so the biggest concern would be a recipe that calls for egg whites as virtually all recipes are written presuming large eggs being used. 

In Ontario a Medium egg is a min 49g (1.73oz), a Large egg is min 56g (2oz), and an Extra Large is min 63g (2.22oz).  I also read where a carton should weigh a total of at least 21oz for Medium and 24oz for Large. 

It seems for recipes needing only 1 or 2 eggs, a Medium will do, but eventually you add an egg to make up for the size difference. 

Maybe we could buy more Medium and save a buck or two.  I guess the yolk has been on me.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, upsmanclt said:

There are 250 calories in an Espresso Martini. 😋

That seems too little.  Add-in Bailey's and you are topping 400 calories.  Plus, who only drinks one?!

Thanks everyone! I always planned on estimating based on similar items, but I thought I would ask if they had things posted somewhere or available onboard just in case. Also I do understand any restaurant posted nutritional information is a guideline and subject to deviate based on sourcing or even who is making the items adding more of something or less of others. That's why I didn't think it would be unreasonable for Princess to have this information available somewhere. In any case thanks again, and it's back to the original plan.  

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 7:37 PM, mtnesterz said:

One of my favorite items onboard is the egg muffin sandwich at IC!

It is better IMO than McD but not as good as the one at Starbucks. My estimation is one egg. If it means that much to you, I'd look online at the nutritionals for a McMuffin and the Starbucks version then average them. Likely a ballpark number.

The egg muffin sandwich at the IC is the best breakfast sandwich I have ever had.

1 hour ago, CruiseMob said:

Thanks everyone! I always planned on estimating based on similar items, but I thought I would ask if they had things posted somewhere or available onboard just in case. Also I do understand any restaurant posted nutritional information is a guideline and subject to deviate based on sourcing or even who is making the items adding more of something or less of others. That's why I didn't think it would be unreasonable for Princess to have this information available somewhere. In any case thanks again, and it's back to the original plan.  

I have an app called Lose It! on my phone.  I religiously record everything I eat or drink on board on the app.  My daily limit is 1900 calories.  When you type in the name of a dish it will give you numerous possibilities to choose from or you can add the ingredients in separately.  I spend a lot of time on ships and gain weight easily so this is a must do for me.

On 12/14/2023 at 3:52 PM, MacMadame said:

We used to always buy extra-large eggs. But these days, large is all they have from our delivery service so we get those. Which is good because I've been doing a lot of baking lately.

I get my eggs from the farmer down the road.  Size and color vary greatly. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

I have an app called Lose It! on my phone.  I religiously record everything I eat or drink on board on the app.  My daily limit is 1900 calories.  When you type in the name of a dish it will give you numerous possibilities to choose from or you can add the ingredients in separately.  I spend a lot of time on ships and gain weight easily so this is a must do for me.

👍 I use Lose It also.