United Changed layover time in Chicago O'Hare...Advice Please

MustBCruzn

We're flying United Airlines in May from Colorado Springs to Amsterdam with a layover in ORD. We originally had a 3 hour layover, which I was comfortable with. However, we just received notice that our flight from COS into ORD has changed, now giving us only 1 1/2 hour layover. It appears that all other options for that day are even shorter, so a simple change isn't an option, and prices to fly in a day earlier and spending the night at an airport hotel are through the roof. For those of you familiar with O'Hare, is 1 1/2 hour layover adequate? Of course the United phone rep says it is. Am I sressing for nothing? Thank you for your help.

8 minutes ago, MustBCruzn said:

We're flying United Airlines in May from Colorado Springs to Amsterdam with a layover in ORD. We originally had a 3 hour layover, which I was comfortable with. However, we just received notice that our flight from COS into ORD has changed, now giving us only 1 1/2 hour layover. It appears that all other options for that day are even shorter, so a simple change isn't an option, and prices to fly in a day earlier and spending the night at an airport hotel are through the roof. For those of you familiar with O'Hare, is 1 1/2 hour layover adequate? Of course the United phone rep says it is. Am I sressing for nothing? Thank you for your help.

I would think that 1 1/2 hrs is fine. Weather should be ok. Only risk is delayed flight out of COS. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are going to be fine as long as your first flight is on time as stated above.  You have nothing to do but move from one gate to another and ORD is very good at moving people if you have to move concourses.

• Thanks 1

I agree with the others that 90 minutes is fine. The one thing you'll want to be aware of is the Concourse you arrive at on your flight from Colorado. I'm fairly certain that's a United Express route meaning that it's possible (even likely) you're arriving into Concourse E or F. Your departing flight will almost certainly be out of Concourse B or C so that could be a bit of a walk. Note that you DO NOT leave the secured area to move between Terminal 2 and Terminal 1 and should not be taking the tram between those two terminals. Spend some time familiarizing yourself with the ORD terminal map and simply assume you are going from Term. 2, F-14 to Term. 1, C-32, as an example. Know how to do that before you get there. My recollection is that the signage is actually quite good and many United passengers do it frequently. My guess is that the walk would be about 15-20 minutes or so at a normal pace.

• Thanks 1

The only downside to a shorter UA connection at ORD is that you may not have time to visit Tortas Frontera - often considered the best airside food in USA airports.

Definitely worth the visit if it won't impact you making your flight.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, jsglow said:

I agree with the others that 90 minutes is fine. The one thing you'll want to be aware of is the Concourse you arrive at on your flight from Colorado. I'm fairly certain that's a United Express route meaning that it's possible (even likely) you're arriving into Concourse E or F. Your departing flight will almost certainly be out of Concourse B or C so that could be a bit of a walk. 

Looks like UA uses the E-175 most if not all days in May on COS-ORD. E-175s scatter throughout - they often use B and C gates, but also use E and F gates. Kind of a crap shoot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Tortas Frontera - often considered the best airside food in USA airports.

Never heard of this place before, and don't often fly through ORD, but will definitely put it on the list of things to check out!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Never heard of this place before, and don't often fly through ORD, but will definitely put it on the list of things to check out!

Interesting story....instead of the vendor wanting to be in the airport, the city approached Bayless and wanted him to open a place in O'Hare.  He managed to extract some concessions from the usual vendor situation, and was originally in T1.  He has now opened two other locations in the airport, T3 and T5.

Superb airport restaurants in the USA are like hen's teeth.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Interesting story....instead of the vendor wanting to be in the airport, the city approached Bayless and wanted him to open a place in O'Hare.  He managed to extract some concessions from the usual vendor situation, and was originally in T1.  He has now opened two other locations in the airport, T3 and T5.

Superb airport restaurants in the USA are like hen's teeth.

Superb airport restaurants are the same scarcity in Canada.

Toronto Pearson - I was excited to the opening of Lynn Crawford and Susur Lee's restaurants, but they are just cafeteria style food with their name on it.  Quite disappointing in my opinion.

But back to the OP!  90 minutes may not give you time to visit Tortas Frontera but definitely put on your list for next ORD experience if you cannot make it this time.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 5:33 AM, FlyerTalker said:

Interesting story....instead of the vendor wanting to be in the airport, the city approached Bayless and wanted him to open a place in O'Hare. 

Little known fact is they asked Skip Bayless but got confused when he said he only knew sports, not Mexican food, and then went to his brother Rick instead /s 

• Haha 2

On 12/15/2023 at 8:08 AM, jsglow said:

I agree with the others that 90 minutes is fine. The one thing you'll want to be aware of is the Concourse you arrive at on your flight from Colorado. I'm fairly certain that's a United Express route meaning that it's possible (even likely) you're arriving into Concourse E or F. Your departing flight will almost certainly be out of Concourse B or C so that could be a bit of a walk. Note that you DO NOT leave the secured area to move between Terminal 2 and Terminal 1 and should not be taking the tram between those two terminals. Spend some time familiarizing yourself with the ORD terminal map and simply assume you are going from Term. 2, F-14 to Term. 1, C-32, as an example. Know how to do that before you get there. My recollection is that the signage is actually quite good and many United passengers do it frequently. My guess is that the walk would be about 15-20 minutes or so at a normal pace.

90 minutes is doable IF YOU DO NOT GO OUT OF THE SECURED AREA (and you do not need to do so). Oh, and just went through ORD. The signage is quite good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1