Crystal Suite Dreams Upgrade offer for new bookings for 2024

Stickman1990

1 minute ago, travelberlin said:

I have looked at my 3 bookings for 2024. All of them have had considerable price increases, so that even if cancel and rebooking were possible, the final price is not attractive. Despite that, the US 250 administration fee is kind of penalizing those who have booked early imho.

And the offer indeed does not apply for solo cruisers. Didn’t just Crystal received a recognition as „best for solo cruisers“? 

Ivi

I am not surprised. I think for many people they will find booking early worked well and that goes for solos and those with double occupancy.

But I think each person who is interested in this should look at the details or have their TA's do this for them to see if there is a benefit to them to cancel and rebook.

Keith

24 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I have looked at my 3 bookings for 2024. All of them have had considerable price increases, so that even if cancel and rebooking were possible, the final price is not attractive. Despite that, the US 250 administration fee is kind of penalizing those who have booked early imho.

And the offer indeed does not apply for solo cruisers. Didn’t just Crystal received a recognition as „best for solo cruisers“? 

Ivi

In fairness, this isn’t new…. It very frequently worked the same way at Old Crystal.

Deep promotions (the highly restrictive ones with all the rules and the splashier discounts) at OC were rarely stackable with other discounts over 5% (and for that matter usually required new bookings).  Those non-stackable discounts usually included any capacity controlled discounts, such as the single supplement.  I can’t even remember the last major deep promotion OC offered that I was even able to take advantage of, because of the single supplement discount not being stackable.

Old Crystal was wonderful when it came to combining standard discounts and repricing fares for yield management fare changes (Book Now fares), but we seem to forget the standard restrictions they had on the deep promos.

Vince

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BWIVince said:

In fairness, this isn’t new…. It very frequently worked the same way at Old Crystal.

…….  I can’t even remember the last major deep promotion OC offered that I was even able to take advantage of, because of the single supplement discount not being stackable.

Vince

I see your point Vince. Unfortunately, solo passengers are often encountering restrictions. And there is always a financial argument behind it. But even if it is not new, this does not make it fair. No need to repeat the arguments behind. 

Now, since I travel solo many times, I see new developments for solos which are really hard to accept. For example in Spain several restaurants, specially on those touristic places like Barcelona, are not accepting solo guests anymore. I belong to another forum of solo travelers in which they are telling their experiences of being refused to be served because a solo is occupying a table which could be given to two people. This is affecting not only travelers but solo locals as well. 

Now in Europe this is discrimination. It falls under European laws and  it should not happen. But restaurants are avoiding to be demanded just pretending to be fully booked if a solo wants to dine there. The restaurants are empty but solos are refused service 😔. I will be in Barcelona next year at the end of a cruise. We will see what I encounter.

This only happened once to me In Beijing about 35 years ago, when I went on my own to China. China was still not very open to the west and tourists were few. I wanted to eat a Peking duck, and the restaurant refused to serve me saying this was a meal for at least 4 people. I have said no problem, you bring me for 4 people 🤭. It was most enjoyable and the friendly Chinese personal of course later on prepared a bag for me to take to my hotel.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, travelberlin said:

I see your point Vince. Unfortunately, solo passengers are often encountering restrictions. And there is always a financial argument behind it. But even if it is not new, this does not make it fair. No need to repeat the arguments behind. 

Now, since I travel solo many times, I see new developments for solos which are really hard to accept. For example in Spain several restaurants, specially on those touristic places like Barcelona, are not accepting solo guests anymore. I belong to another forum of solo travelers in which they are telling their experiences of being refused to be served because a solo is occupying a table which could be given to two people. This is affecting not only travelers but solo locals as well. 

Now in Europe this is discrimination. It falls under European laws and  it should not happen. But restaurants are avoiding to be demanded just pretending to be fully booked if a solo wants to dine there. The restaurants are empty but solos are refused service 😔. I will be in Barcelona next year at the end of a cruise. We will see what I encounter.

This only happened once to me In Beijing about 35 years ago, when I went on my own to China. China was still not very open to the west and tourists were few. I wanted to eat a Peking duck, and the restaurant refused to serve me saying this was a meal for at least 4 people. I have said no problem, you bring me for 4 people 🤭. It was most enjoyable and the friendly Chinese personal of course later on prepared a bag for me to take to my hotel.

Ivi

Hello, there is restrictions for passengers who book Oceanview - for 2.  I have looked at the cruise Barcelona to Barcelona in October 2024 and the new offer for upgrades is not for that type of cabin.

Some additional information about the suite upgrades for new bookings and for those already booked and information about the Exceptional At Sea Campaign. It's been great to see the ads that are mentioned below.

MIAMI – Dec. 15, 2023 – To herald this year’s Wave Season, Crystal has announced an exclusive offer for those looking to embark on remarkable voyages in 2024.
Guests booking a 2024 cruise before Jan. 31, will receive a complimentary suite upgrade, as well as an upgraded wardrobe valeting service with dry-cleaning and garment care also included free of charge.
The promotion includes:
  • Up to a three-category upgrade from an Aquamarine Veranda Suite to Sapphire Veranda Suite or from a Double Guest Room with Veranda to an Aquamarine Veranda Suite on select departures in 2024. Terms and conditions apply.
  • Complimentary garment care and dry-cleaning services. Terms and conditions apply.
  • Only eligible for new reservations made after Dec. 14, 2023. Any changes to existing reservations would require guests to pay the prevailing rate.
Additionally, Crystal has been running new creative tied to its Exceptional at Sea campaign, the first since the brand’s acquisition by the Abercrombie & Kent Travel Group in 2022, and the multi-million-dollar refurbishment and relaunch of its beloved ships, Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony earlier this summer.
Celebrating Crystal’s heritage as the most awarded cruise line in the industry’s history, a team drawn from the worlds of luxury fashion, design, hospitality, and travel created a refreshed brand identity, positioning and art direction, of which this landmark campaign is the first expression.
The creative features guests enjoying moments of tranquility, connection and celebration onboard the reimagined Crystal ships – whether that’s poolside, on private verandas, fine-dining at Crystal’s landmark restaurants Umi Uma and Osteria d’Ovidio, or sipping champagne at sunset.
“We went back to the DNA of what made Crystal so special to everyone who has sailed with us,” said Crystal’s Senior Vice President of Global Marketing Jacqueline Barney.  “Exceptional at Sea aims to connect all of those elements in one campaign and transmit the feeling of a Grande Dame of travel, being beautifully remodeled for a new chapter. We wanted to use a group of creatives drawn from fashion, film and architecture to capture these two iconic ships in all their glory and create an emotional bridge linking the modern with the classic.”
Exceptional at Sea will form part of a seven-figure print, out-of-home and digital campaign that launched in the United States, United Kingdom and Australia this fall. Creative is appearing in some of the top US and UK lifestyle and travel publications including The New York Times, Conde Nast Traveler, The Telegraph, Travel & Leisureand more. Imagery will also be featured across the brand’s owned social media channels. Additionally, Crystal will be working with all its major consortia partners on specialized initiatives.
  • Like 4

Our travel agent was able to modify our booking with Crystal today to take advantage of suite dreams upgrade offer. We paid the new price, received 2.5% Crystal Society discount instead of 5% and did not pay cancellation fee. We had not made final payment. We are happy, although the savings on the upgrade were not huge and it is a guarantee.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

After my TA had a look at my bookings, it turned out to be that I would have to pay more than US 5000 per booking to be able to benefit from this offer 😲

The devils in the detail - until they get all the information between what you paid and what you’d have to pay it’s all guess work 

I don’t see Crystal in the business of doing things that lose money - thankfully

• Like 2

15 hours ago, travelberlin said:

After my TA had a look at my bookings, it turned out to be that I would have to pay more than US 5000 per booking to be able to benefit from this offer 😲. Well not hard to decide what to do right?

Though not to that extent, it also would have been a significant upcharge to redo our 2024 bookings to take advantage of this offer.  But it was worth the look-see.

As mentioned, a good TA can crunch the numbers and then the guest can make an informed decision.  And we all are using good TAs, aren't we?  Not just order-takers.

• Like 3

On 12/15/2023 at 7:42 PM, barcrab said:

Our travel agent was able to modify our booking with Crystal today to take advantage of suite dreams upgrade offer. We paid the new price, received 2.5% Crystal Society discount instead of 5% and did not pay cancellation fee. We had not made final payment. We are happy, although the savings on the upgrade were not huge and it is a guarantee.

This deal sounds great, but I like to pick my cabin. If I have to go to a guarantee, I'll just keep the booking as is. It's still a great value!

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 5:42 PM, barcrab said:

How does the guarantee work?  They have different prices for the mid/aft and forward.  So, if you book  mid/aft in the lower category, would you be guaranteed a cabin in the same category?  My wife gets seasick, so a forward cabin does not work for us, but the specific cabin doesn't matter so much.

The price for our cruise in late September hasn't changed, so it seems like a no-brainer to cancel and rebook, apart from the guarantee issue.  

16 hours ago, tryber said:

How does the guarantee work?  They have different prices for the mid/aft and forward.  So, if you book  mid/aft in the lower category, would you be guaranteed a cabin in the same category?  My wife gets seasick, so a forward cabin does not work for us, but the specific cabin doesn't matter so much.

The price for our cruise in late September hasn't changed, so it seems like a no-brainer to cancel and rebook, apart from the guarantee issue.  

When people say they want a specific cabin, some probably have an actual cabin number in mind, but I think some mean the general location. I do not tend to get seasick but I do prefer to be more midship than anything. Plus we really like to be by an elevator lobby, with of course the midship being by far our favorite.

If your wife gets seasick, I don’t see how you can have just a guarantee booking. I do think you would be in the same area, but that part is unlikely to actually be guaranteed. If your TA has a good relationship with a Crystal sales rep, this might be a good time to ask them if they’ll talk to the rep.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, May B said:

When people say they want a specific cabin, some probably have an actual cabin number in mind, but I think some mean the general location. I do not tend to get seasick but I do prefer to be more midship than anything. Plus we really like to be by an elevator lobby, with of course the midship being by far our favorite.

If your wife gets seasick, I don’t see how you can have just a guarantee booking. I do think you would be in the same area, but that part is unlikely to actually be guaranteed. If your TA has a good relationship with a Crystal sales rep, this might be a good time to ask them if they’ll talk to the rep.

Just heard from my travel agent.  We can upgrade and pick our cabin.  We were booked in Aquamarine and can upgrade to Sapphire for $900 each (could have stayed in Aquamarine for a reduction of $500 each, but decided to go for the upgrade).  My parents are upgrading from verandah to Aquamarine for $380 each.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tryber said:

Just heard from my travel agent.  We can upgrade and pick our cabin.  We were booked in Aquamarine and can upgrade to Sapphire for $900 each (could have stayed in Aquamarine for a reduction of $500 each, but decided to go for the upgrade).  My parents are upgrading from verandah to Aquamarine for $380 each.

Those are good prices. Unfortunately not for my solo bookings. In my case:

For cruise 1) moving to the promotion would increase my price in US 500 just to remain in the same solo category. To upgrade to a Veranda Suite would be additionally US 5300.

For cruise 2) moving to the promotion would increase my price in US 1870 just to stay in the same booked category. To upgrade to the lowest price veranda, would be in addition US 5900.

Edited by travelberlin

6 hours ago, tryber said:

Niiiice! 

1 hour ago, May B said:

Niiiice! 

Actually, it turned out that the initial quote to my travel agent of $900 did not include the Crystal Guest discount, so the upgrade was actually $550 each to go from Aquamarine to Sapphire.  So, it was even nicer.  🙂

• Like 4

You inspired me, tryber. G-d willing and the Creek don’t rise, Mr B and I will be cruising in our first Aquamarine in June. I think this was a crafty plan by Crystal. Trying to find another cruise to book another one! 

• Like 1

May B

Were you able to get a Sapphire Veranda Suite midship?  We had the same cost to upgrade on our 2 week cruise, but it had to be a Sapphire Veranda forward suite.  Otherwise, it wax $2200 p/p to upgrade to a midship Sapphire Veranda from our midship Aquamarine Classic.

It seems like there have been many different deals being made for this promotion.

• Like 1

We just upgraded from a double veranda to an aquamarine classic on an old booking where the final payment had not been made.  We were happy with the new pricing and definitely saved money when compared to the previous pricing for comparable suites.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glsebs said:

May B

Were you able to get a Sapphire Veranda Suite midship?  We had the same cost to upgrade on our 2 week cruise, but it had to be a Sapphire Veranda forward suite.  Otherwise, it wax $2200 p/p to upgrade to a midship Sapphire Veranda from our midship Aquamarine Classic.

It seems like there have been many different deals being made for this promotion.

Yes, we got a midship cabin, but we had booked midship from the start for a higher price.  So, if you had booked a forward or guarantee room previously, the upcharge would probably be higher.  Also, someone mentioned that Crystal has gone to dynamic pricing, so it might just be that the pricing for some rooms has gone up.  My cruise seems not to be too full, so the price was the same as when I booked it, so in my case the upcharge I think just includes the admin fee and perhaps some other fees.     

I don't think it's the case that people are getting different deals.  The issue is that you need to cancel and rebook at current rates (plus pay the admin fees), and that is different for each cruise. 

• Like 1

All of the posts is a reminder that the devil is in the details. Initially, some were disappointed when this promotion came out saying it wasn't fair if you already booked. As it turned out the promotion has turned out well for many people. Maybe not everyone but it is rare when a promotion works for each and every person.

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks for that information. My travel agent is on vacation, and my final payment is due soon on December 26. I spoke to someone at the travel agency who is covering her clients while she is away. However, I think this agent must have been new.  She told me she has never booked a Crystal Cruise before.

I am on a 2 week cruise on the Symphony, April 25 to May 9. I was in  a midship Aquamarine Suite #1036. Now I have been upgraded to a forward Sapphire Veranda # 8011. While I am excited for the upgrade, I would much prefer to be midship. 

I don’t understand why the upgrade difference for a Sapphire Veranda mid ship  was more than 4 times the price of a forward suite. ($1000 vs $4400). I was in an Aquamarine midship suite!

If my TA was available, I would get her advice. 

I am struggling to understand this. What am I missing here?

2 hours ago, glsebs said:

Thanks for that information. My travel agent is on vacation, and my final payment is due soon on December 26. I spoke to someone at the travel agency who is covering her clients while she is away. However, I think this agent must have been new.  She told me she has never booked a Crystal Cruise before.

I am on a 2 week cruise on the Symphony, April 25 to May 9. I was in  a midship Aquamarine Suite #1036. Now I have been upgraded to a forward Sapphire Veranda # 8011. While I am excited for the upgrade, I would much prefer to be midship. 

I don’t understand why the upgrade difference for a Sapphire Veranda mid ship  was more than 4 times the price of a forward suite. ($1000 vs $4400). I was in an Aquamarine midship suite!

If my TA was available, I would get her advice. 

I am struggling to understand this. What am I missing here?

I agree it doesn’t make sense. I think in this case you should either ask for the mgr. at the agency or call Crystal yourself.

My own booking was in a double veranda like tripacian (hi!), to a classic aquamarine. There are many aquamarines on deck 10 and I was able to choose my specific cabin. I took the closest to midship that was offered. Until travel agents can see live availability, we can only trust what the Crystal agent tells us!

Edited by May B