Star enroute to Hawaii some issues.

PGI GUY

I would like to reply to some of the questions and comments from my first post.

Last night I had a conversation with the executive chef Joseph on the Viking Star concerning some of the issues I described on Cruise Critic.

I did not inform him that I had posted on Cruise Critic about my issues. He was very candid and open on the issues I described to him and did give me some very frank and honest answers. I am not going to tell the readers everything he relayed to me because I do not think it was intended to go beyond our private conversation.

Here is what he had to say concerning my issues.

The thin ribeye served to me on the first night. The answer was we do not always agree on decisions made by the office in Switzerland. The mushroom powder rubbed rib eye is a thicker cut.

The chicken parm served to my wife. Answer, I know what happened here.

Many items not on  the present menu, ie ossobuco, no veal dishes and no lasagna.

Answer. Due to customer comments there is a new Manfred's menu being introduced ahead of time and will include many of the items that were removed from the present menu. The new menu is referred to as Manfredi's number 5 and will take several months to implement fleet wide.

He then invited us to dine at Manfredi's tonight where he will prepare the correct chicken parmesan for my wife and ossobuco for me. So it appears that they do have veal shanks on board.

In regard to the pool grill burgers, the char grilled burgers have been replaced with smash burgers which are prepared on a flat top grill and need to be defrosted prior to frying. In my case in order to sped up the process due to a large crowd waiting the cooks loaded up the flat top with frozen beef patties which lowered the temperature and the beef did not fry or brown like they were supposed to resulting in a grey thin beef disc.

I appreciate that the executive chef took the time to address my concerns.

The cruise director is Cornelia David for this cruise, she just came on board in Los Angles.

The ship has been very cool in the public areas and I wish I had brought more long sleeve shirts.

I still stand by original post when thing are not right it needs to be explained and or corrected. No everyone has the same experience.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

Also just off 33 days on the Star.  While we found most food items (including burgers at the grill) delicious have to admit disappointment with both Manfredi's rib eyes.  Ate there seven times and tried each once but found them thin and fatty.  Waiter told us due to supply chain issues Viking had switched from European to inferior American beef.  After that stuck with chicken parm and fish of the day (usually pollock or swordfish)  which were all enjoyable.   Osso Buco was served several times in the Dining Room.  Aside from the rib eye my biggest gripe was the salt grinders which I could never get to work.  Guess we're easier to please.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PGI GUY said:

Many items not on  the present menu, ie ossobuco

We thought the Parmigiana di Polo was excellent.  We were on the Sky for 55 days this fall from Rome to Fort Lauderdale and shared the dish many times since the serving was quite large.

Ossobuco was on the menu in The Restaurant during our cruise.

😁 The 650 pounds of Black Angus beef in our freezer, sourced here in Ohio from the farm adjacent to us rivals anything you might find at the highest end steak houses here in the US. Our 2 inch thick, bone-in rib-eyes prepared medium-rare over a wood fired grill are nirvana. I suggest making friends with a local cattle farmer and pick out yours on the hoof and have your local butcher prepare it to your specs. Don't forget the brisket! Yum!!!!!

• Like 1

We had dinner last night in Manfredi's at the invitation  of the executive chef where they prepared osso bucolic for me and chicken parm for my wife and is was very different from the first dish that was served on the first night. It was very good as was the osso bucolic. Osso buco has yet to appear in the restaurant.

If anyone has any questions I will try to answer them.

• Like 3

We are on Sky right now returning to Fort Lauderdale after doing the full Panamá Canal transit( loved going through the original canal!)

Was very disappointed with the Chef’s Table this time - Asian Panoramic w/ the lobster & chicken shui mai(not as good as before), Peking duck crepe - sliver of duck skin & the duck meat was over cooked. We canceled our second reservation since it was the other Asian menu - figured that it would not be great either. Our first meal @ Manfredi’s was just OK, the caprese salad - great buffalo mozzarella, cherry tomatoes were too green, I tried the seafood ‘stew’ - octopus was good, mussels & clams were tiny.  I wouldn’t get it again.  Last night’s meal was better, had the calamari & prawns, linguine w/ prawns, & the new Viking ribeye, cooked perfectly & thick.  World Cafe is as good as before. Headed to tea for scones!  I have noticed some minor cost-cutting changes.  This is our first VO since Dec 2019 on the South America cruise. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SM77 said:

We are on Sky right now returning to Fort Lauderdale after doing the full Panamá Canal transit( loved going through the original canal!)

Was very disappointed with the Chef’s Table this time - Asian Panoramic w/ the lobster & chicken shui mai(not as good as before), Peking duck crepe - sliver of duck skin & the duck meat was over cooked. We canceled our second reservation since it was the other Asian menu - figured that it would not be great either. Our first meal @ Manfredi’s was just OK, the caprese salad - great buffalo mozzarella, cherry tomatoes were too green, I tried the seafood ‘stew’ - octopus was good, mussels & clams were tiny.  I wouldn’t get it again.  Last night’s meal was better, had the calamari & prawns, linguine w/ prawns, & the new Viking ribeye, cooked perfectly & thick.  World Cafe is as good as before. Headed to tea for scones!  I have noticed some minor cost-cutting changes.  This is our first VO since Dec 2019 on the South America cruise. 

We are on Neptune TA now and have the complete opposite experience.  Most of us agree the food has been so much better than before!  The Asian Panorama was spectacular-everything done perfectly last night.  Much better than the previous cruises we’ve had it.  Manfredis has been so superior than before!  Amazing short ribs tonight-and we are Viking veterans . 
I guess we have a spectacular chef and you sadly do not.

note-everyone always has different opinions.  Especially food.

also note-everyone I’ve spoken to on our ship so far feels the same way!  

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

We are on Neptune TA now and have the complete opposite experience.  Most of us agree the food has been so much better than before!  The Asian Panorama was spectacular-everything done perfectly last night.  Much better than the previous cruises we’ve had it.  Manfredis has been so superior than before!  Amazing short ribs tonight-and we are Viking veterans . 
I guess we have a spectacular chef and you sadly do not.

note-everyone always has different opinions.  Especially food.

also note-everyone I’ve spoken to on our ship so far feels the same way!  

In general, Viking food has been very good but this time, my experiences have been less than stellar @ the specialty restaurants.  The chefs working the Chef’s Table may not be as experienced with the Asian Panorama menu as the ones on Neptune.  I am also Chinese so I’m very experienced with how certain items should taste.  I’ve had a lot of dim sum & Peking duck over my lifetime and in many parts of the world.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PGI GUY said:

We had dinner last night in Manfredi's at the invitation  of the executive chef where they prepared osso bucolic for me and chicken parm for my wife and is was very different from the first dish that was served on the first night. It was very good as was the osso bucolic. Osso buco has yet to appear in the restaurant.

If anyone has any questions I will try to answer them.

Will be on Star 28 December.  If you have time, and if not too much to ask, will you post a photo of Manfredis menu ?

Also what is the the thick cut ribeye called ?  Thanks.

Some background...

Our 1st V, Venus, December 2021, CD Heather Clancy recommended to us the Bistecca Fiorentina for our 1st Manfredis meal.  Was fabulous, thick cut, perfectly seasoned and cooked to my preference.  

2nd V, Sea, December 2022, was not the same, very thin and about 60% fat.  So, spoke with mgr about disappointment, and then chef came to our table in restaurant another night, to hear my comments 1st hand.  Assured me that the cut their own steaks, and apologized, and would be corrected next time.

Went back to Manfredis 2nd time, and Bistecca Fiorentina was better, but still not up to standard. Didn't want to make further issue, and said  I was satisfied.

Also really enjoyed the Osso Bucco a couple times on these voyages, (or was it Osso Bucolic!)

Bistecca Fiorentina is the thick cut the other is a very thin cut marinated rib eye. I am not sure I am smart enough to photo  the menu and attach  to cruise critic.

We will probably not be returning to Manfredi's, I can not eat gluten so my menu choices are very limited.

• Thanks 1

Oh my, Manfredis is so reduced.  I don’t eat much meat, but a,ways had several risotto offerings.  We are on the Star in Feb. to Hawaii, and on Neptune in May on BIE.  I have Manfredis booked for my birthday.  I might choose to change it! 

Edited by SantaFe1

My wife has a gluten problem also. All the restaurants on Vinny will accommodate people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance. Just tell the hotel manager Viking has a dedicated person that will find you and present you the menu for the following day. You choose what you want and they will prepare your choices gluten  free. Talk to the pastry chef and he’ll have freshly baked gluten f free almond cookies delivered to your room. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Yes, menu is cut down from prior menu.  Antipasto platter renamed, without any cheeses.  Also disappointed that Osso Bucco was cut.

Do they still have the wheel of Parmigiano Reggiano ?  The King of Italian cheeses !  Thanks.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

36 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Also really enjoyed the Osso Bucco a couple times on these voyages,

I used to make Osso buco for Christmas.  But it is really a chore, and so my  husband always used to get it at Manfredis.  I just can’t eat that much meat, but always enjoyed a bite or two.  I guess if Manfredis doesn’t make it any more, I will have to start making it again.  Sigh…

As I posted earlier the menu #5 will take several months to implement fleet wide. On this and previous cruises the next days dinner menu is dropped off at your cabin. The gluten free items are listed and you can request some items to be prepared gluten free.