Which activities are worth going to (Regal Princess)?

1412p0oi

Hello everyone, I'm going on a cruise for the very first time in the upcoming January, so when JourneyView's activities popped up I spent a while looking through the items. Some of the items like "Welcome to Princess Event" and the various jewelry and art auctions had mentions of winning prizes, so could anyone share what kind of prizes they are? What about the spa vouchers? Is it likely/possible for people to actually win them without spending extra money? 

These activities overlap with other activities that seems interesting so I thought to just skip some if it's not really worth it. I'm a budget traveler so not planning on buying any art, jewelry, or spa treatments, but it would be fun to be entered into free raffle drawing. I've been searching through the forums but haven't found much on this topic. Thank you in advance for your advice!

First of all, welcome to Cruise Critic!

It's going to be really hard to give you any answers to what you're asking about since we really don't know much about you and what matters to *you*.  The best thing I can do is post one of the event listings and let you take a look at some of the representative activities.  Then, if you have any specific questions about one or more of those activities just ask.

Patter.pdf

Just my opinion, but the events that highlight jewelery/spa/artwork are little more than promotions designed to encourage people to spend money in those venues.  I've avoided them since my first cruise.  If there are concurrent events that interest you, I would attend those instead.

Otherwise, which events are worthwhile is very much a matter of personal tastes.  There are enough events on every Princess cruise that you are sure to find things to your liking.

Edited by charliedalrymple
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, 1412p0oi said:

Hello everyone, I'm going on a cruise for the very first time in the upcoming January, so when JourneyView's activities popped up I spent a while looking through the items. Some of the items like "Welcome to Princess Event" and the various jewelry and art auctions had mentions of winning prizes, so could anyone share what kind of prizes they are? What about the spa vouchers? Is it likely/possible for people to actually win them without spending extra money? 

These activities overlap with other activities that seems interesting so I thought to just skip some if it's not really worth it. I'm a budget traveler so not planning on buying any art, jewelry, or spa treatments, but it would be fun to be entered into free raffle drawing. I've been searching through the forums but haven't found much on this topic. Thank you in advance for your advice!

They're not giving anything away of real value.  It's mostly a gimmick to get you into the store and shopping.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 1412p0oi said:

Generally my answer is the same as @Steelers36above me - the freebie seminars give away items of limited value. But allow me to tell you guys a funny story.

On my last cruise last month (not on Princess), I was at one of these intro shows that happened to have raffles for the usual stuff - Internet packages, excursions, jewelry, etc. One of the prizes was for a painting. I checked my ticket once, twice - I had won! It was my first time ever winning one of these raffles. What to do? I discreetly slid my ticket to the couple seated beside me. They did the right thing and claimed their prize. They were very appreciative. The painting was nice, but wouldn't have fit in with my Velvet Elvises and dogs playing poker on my walls. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

What's worth visiting? Honestly, any cruise staff-led game show held at the Princess Live venue, especially in the evenings. Participate or gaze at the Officers vs Guests games in the Piazza. I like the theatre shows on the Regal too. If you like watching fountain shows, the Regal's is not half-bad.

For my first cruise, the key to my enjoyment was not lounging around by the pool but actively pursuing the scheduled activities and fully immersing myself in the schedule to really get a grasp of what a cruise experience includes to the fullest extent. That way, for my second go-around, I could be more reassured about knowing what I'd be missing when I took a calmer approach.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, snoozecrooze said:

What's worth visiting? Honestly, any cruise staff-led game show held at the Princess Live venue, especially in the evenings. Participate or gaze at the Officers vs Guests games in the Piazza. I like the theatre shows on the Regal too. If you like watching fountain shows, the Regal's is not half-bad.

For my first cruise, the key to my enjoyment was not lounging around by the pool but actively pursuing the scheduled activities and fully immersing myself in the schedule to really get a grasp of what a cruise experience includes to the fullest extent. That way, for my second go-around, I could be more reassured about knowing what I'd be missing when I took a calmer approach.

That's great advice, thank you. 

A huge thank you as well to everyone who replied!! It seems like there are more activities that are hosted than just what shows up on the JourneyView app right now. :)

1 hour ago, 1412p0oi said:

Spend just 1 day doing as many activities as you can squeeze in.  Then relax and enjoy the ship and whatever you feel like doing.  I hadn't done it in so long, and dragging my hubby along for the day, we had such a fun time.  But learning origami, tossing darts, a ring toss, and a paper airplane throwing contest were all we could take before retreating back to our books.   But FYI, those spa pamper events with a chance to win something are just a chance to sell you their overpriced products.

59 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

Spend just 1 day doing as many activities as you can squeeze in.  Then relax and enjoy the ship and whatever you feel like doing.  I hadn't done it in so long, and dragging my hubby along for the day, we had such a fun time.  But learning origami, tossing darts, a ring toss, and a paper airplane throwing contest were all we could take before retreating back to our books.   But FYI, those spa pamper events with a chance to win something are just a chance to sell you their overpriced products.

So you won't actually get to win anything from those spa tours? I'm asking because the two that shows up take place at 12pm and 5pm and these are the times when I planned to otherwise eat. But then it said you could win $500 worth of vouchers so I was like O_O maybe I should go! lol

1 minute ago, 1412p0oi said:

So you won't actually get to win anything from those spa tours? I'm asking because the two that shows up take place at 12pm and 5pm and these are the times when I planned to otherwise eat. But then it said you could win $500 worth of vouchers so I was like O_O maybe I should go! lol

Oh, they do give away those vouchers, but the chance of winning ≠ reward vs time spent IMO.

• Like 1

I did not review all the other responses. My opinion, and what I do is avoid any of the so called activities hosted by shops on board, such as the jewelry shop. These are nothing more than pitches to purchase their stuff. If you want a spa treatment book it, but be careful. They try to sell you all kinds of items. Like jewelry spa talks are really just sales pitches. Art? Some like these. I dislike them.

Attend activities that are hosted by the Cruise Director Staff. These are things like trivia, game shows, karaoke, Zumba like workout, and silly games like putting contests, pool side games and such. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1412p0oi said:

It is possible.  I’ve never won at the spa. However, every cruise I have been on with my daughter, SHE has won a spa gift certificate from $100 to $200 EVERY time. SMH

That’s always on day 1 for her.

8 hours ago, 1412p0oi said:

That's great advice, thank you. 

A huge thank you as well to everyone who replied!! It seems like there are more activities that are hosted than just what shows up on the JourneyView app right now. 🙂

The JourneyView does vary or change a little when you are OB, so it’s just an idea, not gospel.

The Patter will be more accurate.

Welcome!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

It is possible.  I’ve never won at the spa. However, every cruise I have been on with my daughter, SHE has won a spa gift certificate from $100 to $200 EVERY time. SMH

That’s always on day 1 for her.

I've heard there is hardly anyone there, so if you show up your chances of winning spa stuff is good. 

• Like 2