Cabin on Deck 17 (Sun Deck) on Sky Princess for my late 70s Mom?

Eli_6

Hello,

As a Christmas present, I am going to book my late 70s Mom (and myself) a cruise to Denmark and Norway.  Her father was from Denmark and she has never been.  I am not going to undertake a land vacation to Denmark as I think that would be too much for her and, furthermore, I am familiar enough with LHR and getting around in the UK having done my graduate degree at a UK school. 

My Mom's main issue related to travel is that she went in for an ablation about 7-8 years ago to fix a heart arythymia and the surgeon screwed up and partially severed her phrenic nerve.  (This is the nerve that controls your diaphram.)   She originally was only able to breathe at about 20 percent.  Through much hard work, she is now up to 70 percent...but, long story short, she doesn't function at normal air capacity as the rest of us.  She is NOT on oxygen.  She sometimes walks with a cane on uneven surfaces.  Long story short: She's mobile, but more of a tortoise rather than a hare. 

In looking at available rooms, there is a plethora available on Deck 17 on the Sky Princess. I like the idea of either being on Lido deck or the deck right above it for easy access to the buffet and pool.  Would you recommend those rooms near the "Retreat Pool" on Deck 17?  From renderings I see online and pictures, it appears there is a glass wall between the pool and the rooms.  Is this correct?  Are those rooms loud?  Also, would you rec a room that faces directly out on to the pool or one closer to Forward that might be a little more quiet?  

I have been on cruises with her before and there have been issues with waiting on elevators...thus, my preference would be to either be on lido, a floor above lido or the Emerald deck/deck 8 right above the promenade deck, etc. There is one room on lido but it is the room right by the lido deck closest to the entrance/exit so I worry about it being loud.  

Thoughts or suggestions?

Having done both and in 70,s here is my opinion .

SKY deck bigger balconies for sure , close to adult pool and bar . There is glass in front of pool area .We had a cabin close to the door that goes onto to deck above the main pool ,we could hear the door slam sometimes.I think the spring on the door was broken. 

Lido the balconies have more shade and our pick every time , those first cabins you may hear some Music and MUTS ...but for convenience and bad knees totally worth it for us.

We were just on Regal very first Cabin on Lido and never heard a thing ,we may be getting deaf !!!!  The balcony was larger and faced forward which was a nice change .

• Like 1

If seasickness isn’t a problem, you may want to one of the cabins midway along the corridor on the Sun deck.  Those cabins are beautiful and don’t really have any noise from the retreat pool.   Plus, the forward elevators are hardly ever an issue.  The midship elevators are definitely the most crowded, followed by the aft elevators.  

I had one of the large window cabins up front on the Sun deck. Absolutely my favorite cabin of all time and sooooo quiet. However, it's a longer walk to most things. If your mom has mobility issues at all, I would pick a cabin closer to mid ship.

13 hours ago, flying boat said:

we were on the front cabins on the sun 17, I loved the forward view but with seas anything above slight there was a lot of creaking, groaning and banging.

I would pick Lido forward. Don’t worry about noise. access to buffet, outdoors, pools, bars, mast grill….good for her. We love it. Forward elevators less crowded on way to DR or activity on lower decks.

You really might want to look into a scooter or rollator with a seat for her.  Even if she doesn't use it all the time It might come in handy if she wants to go somewhere further away.  Also talk to her lung Dr. to see if an Inogen O2 concentrator would help her breathing (again even if only needed occasionally).  My husband can't walk long distances so we've used a scooter & an electric wheelchair.  She might find she likes it as it makes life easier.

• Like 2

I had L301 on the Sky and loved it.  It is an angled balcony so a bigger balcony and covered.  It is only a few steps to the elevator, to the Lido entrance to the burger, bar, pizza, pool, hot tubs, buffet, lounge chairs.

I did hear noise went the main hallway door was closed and people let the door slam.  The next day, I left the main hallway door open each night and never hear any noise after that.

Choose a cabin near the elevator not the front cabins as they are a long walk to the elevator.

When choosing a dining room, choose deck 5 - Soleil or deck 6 - Estrella they are near an elevator not Cielo deck 6 (the back of the ship), you need to go to deck 7 then walk to back elevator down to deck 6 (only 1 elevator goes to that dining room).

I rented a wheelchair for my mom and she could use when she wanted or just to push.  The ship are huge and a lot of walking when you have difficulty walking.

• Like 1

Yes, I figured I would rent her a scooter.  On the Europe cruises that I have been on with my family on Carnival (young kids so we go with Carnival for the slides, etc.), there are usually quite a few older people with scooters so I assume there is some sort of rental company out of the UK that one could use.  I figured that Princess would be better for my mother. Plus, this itinerary goes to Denmark. 

On 12/18/2023 at 11:50 AM, phabric said:

I had L301 on the Sky and loved it.  It is an angled balcony so a bigger balcony and covered.  It is only a few steps to the elevator, to the Lido entrance to the burger, bar, pizza, pool, hot tubs, buffet, lounge chairs.

I did hear noise went the main hallway door was closed and people let the door slam.  The next day, I left the main hallway door open each night and never hear any noise after that.

Choose a cabin near the elevator not the front cabins as they are a long walk to the elevator.

When choosing a dining room, choose deck 5 - Soleil or deck 6 - Estrella they are near an elevator not Cielo deck 6 (the back of the ship), you need to go to deck 7 then walk to back elevator down to deck 6 (only 1 elevator goes to that dining room).

I rented a wheelchair for my mom and she could use when she wanted or just to push.  The ship are huge and a lot of walking when you have difficulty walking.

That one is available.  So you didn't have any problems with noise from the Lido deck?

23 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

That one is available.  So you didn't have any problems with noise from the Lido deck?

If the main hallway door was closed, I would leave it open and I didn’t hear any noise.  I don’t know why people just let the doors go so they slam.

There is an automatic door leading into the Lido area so no noise.  No noise from the elevator area. You might hear people talking as they walk to their cabin like any hallway.

I would take that cabin in a heartbeat.  The balcony is angled is bigger.  

Here are some pictures of the L301 balcony on the Sky.

Looking left to Captain

Looking down

Balcony

538E4EBB-5B47-4779-9526-7471BB18A03C.thumb.jpeg.bbff6cc3cf1fe0fed399040efb46a361.jpegE0784AFF-614F-4EEC-BD06-E51D5416653A.thumb.jpeg.cb828ac1714e8b6f14b1635b90ce1f23.jpegC48603BB-5E12-4B51-A15A-69B432CD5590.thumb.jpeg.fcb67f5535bf5189297156311baf806c.jpeg

Edited by phabric