Libraries onboard

sunsetme

4 hours ago, dockman said:

Not true with me and I strongly suspect also not true with lots and lots of other people.  Why do people who like kindles seem to want to disparage those who do not like to read on kindles?  If you like kindles then by all means use them.  If you prefer real books than there is absolutely nothing wrong with that either.

As to being easier to carry around than paper books that certainly is true.  But I have never had a problem in making room in my luggage for enough books to cover my cruise.  I would rather have a good book then an extra pair of shoes or more clothes that i will likely never even wear or miss if i don't have. 

For those ships that still have some semblance of a library even if just a take one leave one paperback library thank you.  How  hard is it to provide a couple hundred square feet and a few shelves.  I go to whatever version of library is available and there are always lots of other people taking a look at the books in my experience.

I always bring paperbacks and always leave them behind for the next guests and obviously many others do the same as i generally can find some interesting books left behind and have enjoyed reading maby of them.  To those who also bring and leave books, thank you.

I'm a Kindle fan for 2 reasons.  I can adjust the font and my hands dry out and crack from paper.  DW is just the opposite.  We must have at least 1,000 books in the house.  Mostly hers, but some mine. She gets most of hers at yard sales and used book store.  Now she also supplies our granddaughters (16 and 19) with their favorites.

The only real criticism I have of the kindle is that the editing is terrible.  Seems the only criteria Amazon has for an editor is that they can use spellchecker.  Seems no attention is given to content.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2023 at 9:51 AM, Teechur said:

I agree. I have always enjoyed reading but it's tough getting the younger generation to read anything.

I am so thankful that all three of my kids picked up the reading bug - probably because they mirrored their father and I while they were growing up  One ended up an English major and teaches Lit.  #2 is into chemistry, but still reads a lot.  #3 is planning on majoring in creative writing.  I feel for their peers that don't enjoy reading.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 11:48 AM, Teechur said:

I am in my 42nd year as a high school teacher and virtually NEVER see a kid reading for pleasure.

I am so sorry to hear this.  I also work at a high school and while I agree that the kids are on their phones more than I'd like to see, plenty of them are also carrying around books they are reading for pleasure.  Our school has a no-phones policy during the school day ("genuine encounters") and although they balked at first, the students have gotten used to it.

Wow I think I just took this thread terribly off-topic.  Sorry!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mamafun said:

I am so sorry to hear this.  I also work at a high school and while I agree that the kids are on their phones more than I'd like to see, plenty of them are also carrying around books they are reading for pleasure.  Our school has a no-phones policy during the school day ("genuine encounters") and although they balked at first, the students have gotten used to it.

Wow I think I just took this thread terribly off-topic.  Sorry!

The best teacher I ever had was my 7th grade English teacher. She gave us long lists of books, and you got credit after reading and having her quiz you on the book. 1 point for 7th grade books up to 6 points for 12th grade books. She instilled the love of reading for me by having choice instead of required books to read.

And 30 years later, my son had her for 6th grade English. At the middle school open house where you visited your child's teachers, I tried to recite the list of 30 prepositions she had taught us way back then. She then told me the 3 I missed (I thought that was pretty good getting 90% of them right and only losing one for each 10 years), and then told me now she knew why our son looked at her like "I know something you don't"

And I have taken this even further off topic.  🤣

It is pretty obvious from reading various posts on social media that there are millions of people who have little to no clue as to spelling or grammar.  I am no expert but I do think that reading is a primary way of learning both.  I find it sad how many people seem to be on the verge of illiteracy and either don't know or don't care.  Not to mention the absolute lack of basic financial and math skills. 

I have learned many things from reading various posts but sadly the thing I have learned the most is how absolutely uneducated millions upon millions of grown adults seem to be in basic fundamental skills like "reading writing and arithmetic" which were once the absolute cornerstone of schools.

I was very fortunate to have had a few teachers who convinced me that reading can and does open an entire world of wonders if you take the time to discover what might be revealed in a good book.  Of course I grew up prior to phones and google where if you wanted to know something you generally had to go to a library and  look it up in a book.

• Like 1