Is the cost for a PH still worth it ? What has changed?

cavaaller

My last (and only) experience in a top suite was in 2022.

Things, that we cherished and were important to us were the option to dine in the suite ordering from (at least Luminae, but preferably from) speciality restaurants as well and a fridge stocked with water / soda.

We also liked, that we could send out laundry more than twice per cruise (we did not send out more than two bags full of laundry but we did send out a shirt on three occasions.)

I also liked, that we got 400 USD pp OBC.

These perks seem to be gone now (eg the OBC) - although I cannot find proper documentation.

(there used to be a grille with the exact definitions of the suite perks - either it has been hidden or all the perks are gone?)

I consider a cruise in a Penthouse-Suite.

So: If you cruised in a PH lately could you please tell me - is it (still) worth it?

Has much changed?

49 minutes ago, cavaaller said:

My last (and only) experience in a top suite was in 2022.

Things, that we cherished and were important to us were the option to dine in the suite ordering from (at least Luminae, but preferably from) speciality restaurants as well and a fridge stocked

So: If you cruised in a PH lately could you please tell me - is it (still) worth it?

Has much changed?

I feel it is worth it. The fridge is stocked well.  So much more room than a RS on the M class ships and has a great butlers pantry, great large deck and a second bathroom. S class PH is a great room but not as much difference compared to a RS as the M class. You do get elevated service in the PH regardless of the ship. I was not too happy with the RS on E class and will have a PH along with an RS on the Ascent in January. 

The Reflection has the Reflection suite, which has a second bedroom, and has too much motion for me because it is on the top floor in the front of the ship. One and done for me. For the same reason, I have not booked the IC on E class. 

In Feb 2023 a couple in the other M class PH had all meals in their room. They ordered from all restaurants except LPC without issue. This may have changed and you could inquire with the shoreside concierge ahead of time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, billc23 said:

I feel it is worth it. The fridge is stocked well.  So much more room than a RS on the M class ships and has a great butlers pantry, great large deck and a second bathroom. S class PH is a great room but not as much difference compared to a RS as the M class. You do get elevated service in the PH regardless of the ship. I was not too happy with the RS on E class and will have a PH along with an RS on the Ascent in January. 

The Reflection has the Reflection suite, which has a second bedroom, and has too much motion for me because it is on the top floor in the front of the ship. One and done for me. For the same reason, I have not booked the IC on E class. 

In Feb 2023 a couple in the other M class PH had all meals in their room. They ordered from all restaurants except LPC without issue. This may have changed and you could inquire with the shoreside concierge ahead of time.

I am not going to pay double the price of a royal suite for a penthouse on M class, same perks, I understand bigger suite , second bedroom and bathroom. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, George C said:

I am not going to pay double the price of a royal suite for a penthouse on M class, same perks, I understand bigger suite , second bedroom and bathroom. 

Absolutely agree, I would not pay double the RS price!

The PH on the M class does have 2 bathrooms but only one bedroom. Typically the price is 30% more than the RS for a space that is 3.5 times larger. The 1000 + square foot balcony is one half of the back of the ship with 270 degree views and is the reason many covet the M class PH. Yes, the listed perks are the same as the RS but the overall experience is better. An example is I have had, and am usually encouraged to have, a party for 20 plus people and it is included as part of the room. I usually book early as the rooms go quickly and often the RS price is more than I paid for the PH when one purchases closer to the sail date.

E class RS to PH is close to double the price and that PH does have 2 bedrooms.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, billc23 said:

Absolutely agree, I would not pay double the RS price!

The PH on the M class does have 2 bathrooms but only one bedroom. Typically the price is 30% more than the RS for a space that is 3.5 times larger. The 1000 + square foot balcony is one half of the back of the ship with 270 degree views and is the reason many covet the M class PH. Yes, the listed perks are the same as the RS but the overall experience is better. An example is I have had, and am usually encouraged to have, a party for 20 plus people and it is included as part of the room. I usually book early as the rooms go quickly and often the RS price is more than I paid for the PH when one purchases closer to the sail date.

E class RS to PH is close to double the price and that PH does have 2 bedrooms.

We loved penthouse on edge (move up) and they do treat you special while in penthouse. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, George C said:

We loved penthouse on edge (move up) and they do treat you special while in penthouse. 

I'll be trying the PH on the Ascent next month. I have never done a move up and I wonder how many Retreat guests are there via move up. I was on the Flora in September and was the only upper suite passenger who paid for the room rather than a move up. I loved to hear what a great deal people got on their suite and I was pleased that I just book the room I desire and move on.

• Like 3

On 12/22/2023 at 2:49 PM, billc23 said:

have to ask after researching the reflection suite for my retirement cruise.  ive never been on X but booked an edge villa on ascent for 9 nites instead. but that shower in the reflection suite and bathroom looks sooo cool

is it really?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

have to ask after researching the reflection suite for my retirement cruise.  ive never been on X but booked an edge villa on ascent for 9 nites instead. but that shower in the reflection suite and bathroom looks sooo cool

is it really?

It is great! Some feel it is the best Celebrity suite. Please be advised that if someone is in the second bedroom they need to go through the MBR to access the deck. Could be inconvenient depending on your situation. Then there is the motion that may bother some. Similar location to the very front of the Sky lounge where passengers often need help to walk out of when the seas pickup. I suspect the IC on the E class has a similar motion problem that could be a problem for some. I have no experience with that room and no plans to try it due to location. The reflection PH is similar in size to the RF minus the extra bedroom. The deck is larger but you do not have the forward facing views. Great to have choices!

I love the look of the EV. I feel I shouldn't book because of a balance problem and the stairs. I'm sure you will love it! Enjoy retirement!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billc23 said:

I'll be trying the PH on the Ascent next month. I have never done a move up and I wonder how many Retreat guests are there via move up. I was on the Flora in September and was the only upper suite passenger who paid for the room rather than a move up. I loved to hear what a great deal people got on their suite and I was pleased that I just book the room I desire and move on.

I doubt many in retreat are move up , I agree should always book a cabin that you like , I think we were successful on move up since it was right after celebrity started sailing again after Covid , but  then ship was 50 percent full but suites were a hundred percent. 

For me a Millenium class PH is the best suite in the X fleet because of the awesome balcony.

I would love to sail in a PH one more time.  I’d be solo, but that’s OK. 

No more front-of-the-ship cabins for me.  Had way too much motion in a very pretty Signature Suite on Reflection.  

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, cruising diva said:

I just left the Equinox in PH suite. From now on gratuities are not included. No OBC from Celebrity. The specialty restaurants will no longer serve food in the suite. The laundry is also limited unless you are Zenith which I am. 

No more unlimited laundry?!  Noooooo!

1 hour ago, cruising diva said:

I just left the Equinox in PH suite. From now on gratuities are not included. No OBC from Celebrity. The specialty restaurants will no longer serve food in the suite. The laundry is also limited unless you are Zenith which I am. 

PH in October had unlimited laundry for me. It says limited because of prior abuses. I'll cross over to Zenith in March.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cruising diva said:

that is what I was afraid of: the beginning of a series of cutbacks while prices seem to go up and up...

if I may ask: in hindsight: do you regret having booked the suite?

Edited by cavaaller

18 minutes ago, cavaaller said:

it was worth it  last time - but as I said, I do not really know how the experience has changed hence my question...

You should check out MSc yacht club, butler services are way better than celebrity even when they had butler service for sky suite, we are booked for next December, much nicer suite lounge with live music almost all night . Outdoor area similar to edge class with pool , hot tubs and bar . Much cheaper free WiFi , some OBC and drink package.

One of my top priorities is a hot tub on the balcony and only on new ships. So, on Celebrity ships, that limits my stateroom (and ship) choice.

Have tried ICs twice and EVs twice. If you are after points (which I am not, though I made Elite+ on Celebrity after only these four cruises), you earn more points. 30+ more nights booked in ICs.

Both the IC and EV staterooms are quite good. These staterooms compete with any small luxury lines. Best of all, no dreaded "balcony overhang" from the above deck. 

No issue with movement of ship, even though we did experience rough seas on a few days. The PH is only two rooms behind the IC. It's the same "neighborhood" on the ship in terms of movement.

In the IC and EV, you get all the inclusions noted elsewhere.

I will say that having our IC tub drawn every night (it's a big tub) and our balcony hot tub cleaned and filled twice daily was a treat. Never asked, just done. Candles (electronic, but really nice ones) set in the IC bathroom were always great after dinner and drinks and a show.

When we travel, it is our retreat. We live on our balconies and in our rooms. With the hot tub on the balcony, we don't use the Retreat deck, save for getting a quick drink on a walk through to our room. It's a real retreat.

Edited by buncosquad
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, George C said:

You should check out MSc yacht club, butler services are way better than celebrity 

we have cruised in MSC's Yacht Club many times - I did not think that I could compare Celebrity to MSC - it seems like a completely different experience. I have to admit, that the butlers are more attentive. But the food is not as good on MSC as on X imho.

1 hour ago, cavaaller said:

we have cruised in MSC's Yacht Club many times - I did not think that I could compare Celebrity to MSC - it seems like a completely different experience. I have to admit, that the butlers are more attentive. But the food is not as good on MSC as on X imho.

I will be curious how food In Yacht Club has changed, I definitely think food in Luminae is not as good as it was , similar lounge with drinks all day and you can get doubles , outdoor retreat on celebrity is equal to MSc yacht but only on edge class , MSc is far superior on other classes.

• Like 2