Penn Station NYC to Brooklyn Cruise Port?

LB_NJ

Looked at all the options when we made this connection in October.  Ended up just grabbing the first taxi at the cab stand outside the station .  Door to door so lot    less luggage handling. Cost was 45.00 on a Tuesday AM.  That should give you a comparison number.

18 hours ago, wheezedr said:

Looked at all the options when we made this connection in October.  Ended up just grabbing the first taxi at the cab stand outside the station .  Door to door so lot    less luggage handling. Cost was 45.00 on a Tuesday AM.  That should give you a comparison number.

Was there an issue with traffic at the port?  I have this picture of going the final quarter mile in an hour because everyone is doing the same thing.

19 minutes ago, eppler said:

Was there an issue with traffic at the port?  I have this picture of going the final quarter mile in an hour because everyone is doing the same thing.

No problem but it was the Monday of Columbus Day so not sure if that made any difference.  We followed a group of taxi’s all together. I think I said Tuesday up above

Edited by wheezedr
Correction
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2024 at 11:06 AM, njhorseman said:

IMO, yes...Uber or taxi from Penn Station...actually Moynihan Train Hall...to Pier 11 and then the ferry to Red Hook would be my choice.

Need your expert advice. Arriving Penn Station via NJTransit. If we decide to take the subway instead of an Uber to Pier 11 what train would we take? 

2 hours ago, noshoobie said:

Need your expert advice. Arriving Penn Station via NJTransit. If we decide to take the subway instead of an Uber to Pier 11 what train would we take? 

IRT #2 train to Wall Street station - which is about 4 short blocks (straight east on Wall Street) from Pier 11.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

IRT #2 train to Wall Street station - which is about 4 short blocks (straight east on Wall Street) from Pier 11.

Thank you. We Ubered last May to Red Hook. $55 plus tip (Sunday during the 5 borough race) and $34 plus tip from Red Hook to Penn Station also on a Sunday. We want to consider a cheaper alternative but, then again, taking an Uber is so much more convenient. We'll see.

13 minutes ago, noshoobie said:

Thank you. We Ubered last May to Red Hook. $55 plus tip (Sunday during the 5 borough race) and $34 plus tip from Red Hook to Penn Station also on a Sunday. We want to consider a cheaper alternative but, then again, taking an Uber is so much more convenient. We'll see.

I am inclined to agree:  the whole point of taking a cruise (likely costing thousands of dollars) is to spoil yourself with a good time.  Does messing with luggage up and down stairs and on and off subway trains to save yourself about $50 fit in with that intention?

While I am glad to suggest ways of using public transportation to people who ask about it, I am not a committed advocate of penny pinching.

That said, for an out-of-towner who wants to spend a night in New York before sailing from Brooklyn, I will recommend a Wall Street area hotel and the passenger ferry across to BCT.

5 hours ago, noshoobie said:

Thanks for the compliment.

In addition to the #2 train already mentioned by @navybankerteacher, the #3 train to the Wall St. Station also works. Take whichever comes first.