First booking in years...what's changed

david_sobe

I just booked my first NCL cruise in years.  My last NCL cruise was the Encore in February 2020, the next to last cruise before the shutdown.  That cruise was booked in early 2018 while the Encore was still under construction.  I just booked Aqua for February 2026.  I get to watch the ship under construction and then get this thing paid off before 2026.  I figured once Aqua debuts the prices go up and most of the great cabins are already booked.  I booked the Haven so I will need the 2 years to pay it off.  Its interesting to see what has changed during booking since my last cruise.

* Alcohol package - it used to be the "free" at sea that only the first 2 passengers get the perk.  Others in the cabin dont get it.  Now everyone in the cabin must take the perk.  I declined it this time because for 4, the gratuities were $600.  No way we could drink that much alcohol. My wife barely drinks and I remember last time I counted my drinks and it was a wash. You need to drink about 5 drinks per day to make out on the deal.  However if everyone is huge drinkers in your cabin, it "could" be a good perk since now everyone in the cabin must take the package.

* Room cleaning. OMG the room cleaning for my cabin is $700 for the week!!!!  $100 per day.  I remember when it used to be $12 per person per day

* 2 specialty dining meals instead of 3.  That change has been in effect for some time now

* Internet.  I am not even sure I understand it. You get 150 free minutes as usual.  Last time I upgraded to unlimited for $80. Me and my wife could surf, read emails, etc unlimited.  Now I see the upgrade is $109 PER PERSON.  Does this mean your spouse or cruise mate cannot share the password?  Everyone must have their own upgrade package?

* No more OBC. My NCL PCC said she has not been authorized to give out OBC during booking for 4 years.  When I booked Encore, I got $300 OBC.

We know prices are high.  But the 3rd and 4th passenger sailing for $99 is still a good deal.

I am excited to finally get back to cruising. I used to cruise every year or sometimes twice a year.  When the prices started going up, I cut back and then the pandemic happened.  Being in Miami, the choices have been terrible (believe it or not).  NCL used to debut all their new ships here.  We dont get Epic, we dont get many Jewel class ships either.  Some of the newer ships come in for a few weeks and then leave.  I loved the Encore but want to experience something new.  I also dont care for the Getaway or Breakway.....too conventional and not innovative.

Anyway you will see me around more here over the next 2 years until we all count down to the launch of Aqua.

Happy Sailing everyone and Merry Christmas and Happy New year

• Like 6

@david_sobe we just got off the Escape.  It was our first post pandemic cruise.  Our last one was in the Haven on the Joy in December of 2019. Here is what my experience was -

Alcohol Package - Same as you, we may have a couple drinks on a date night or a glass of wine at dinner but for us to hit the $300 in grats for the 2 of us it would have been 20-25 drinks.  We may have had 6-8 drinks all week plus we brought wine on board so we didn't need the drink package.

Our room cleaning fees were 25% of what we paid for this cruise.  $560 for 4 of us for a week.  The funny part is that I removed 360 of it and our room steward was awesome so he ended up with 300 in cash and we cashed tipped a bunch of others during the week as well so I think I would have made out better if we had just left the auto grats.

2 specialty dining is standard now.  Our first NCL cruise it was a flat fee and specialty dining whenever you wanted it.  My how it has changed.

Internet was 5 hours for free.  My wife didn't need it.  I didn't use all of it because we had cell/internet in most ports.  But it's a page to log in and I had to log in with my name birthrate and when my time was up I logged in with my wife's name/birthday.  Once you log in I believe it tracks your Mac address so not sure if you can log in with the same account on 2 different devices.  I have seen posts where you can use a travelrouter to log in and share that way but doesn't seem worth it for the 5 free hours.

We booked 2 NCL cruises in the pdt 3 months (This Escape cruise and an Alaska cruise in August)  We got 250 in OBC from our TA on the Escape cruise and 400 OBC on our Alaskan cruise.  I think you need a new TA.

We got our 3rd and 4th free with the special NCL was having when we booked.

And Miami might not get all those ship but you have so many ports within a few hours drive.  You can't complain 😀  It's much more limited options here in the PNW!

8 hours ago, david_sobe said:

I just booked my first NCL cruise in years.  My last NCL cruise was the Encore in February 2020, the next to last cruise before the shutdown.  That cruise was booked in early 2018 while the Encore was still under construction.  I just booked Aqua for February 2026.  I get to watch the ship under construction and then get this thing paid off before 2026.  I figured once Aqua debuts the prices go up and most of the great cabins are already booked.  I booked the Haven so I will need the 2 years to pay it off.  Its interesting to see what has changed during booking since my last cruise.

* Alcohol package - it used to be the "free" at sea that only the first 2 passengers get the perk.  Others in the cabin dont get it.  Now everyone in the cabin must take the perk.  I declined it this time because for 4, the gratuities were $600.  No way we could drink that much alcohol. My wife barely drinks and I remember last time I counted my drinks and it was a wash. You need to drink about 5 drinks per day to make out on the deal.  However if everyone is huge drinkers in your cabin, it "could" be a good perk since now everyone in the cabin must take the package.

* Room cleaning. OMG the room cleaning for my cabin is $700 for the week!!!!  $100 per day.  I remember when it used to be $12 per person per day

* 2 specialty dining meals instead of 3.  That change has been in effect for some time now

* Internet.  I am not even sure I understand it. You get 150 free minutes as usual.  Last time I upgraded to unlimited for $80. Me and my wife could surf, read emails, etc unlimited.  Now I see the upgrade is $109 PER PERSON.  Does this mean your spouse or cruise mate cannot share the password?  Everyone must have their own upgrade package?

* No more OBC. My NCL PCC said she has not been authorized to give out OBC during booking for 4 years.  When I booked Encore, I got $300 OBC.

We know prices are high.  But the 3rd and 4th passenger sailing for $99 is still a good deal.

I am excited to finally get back to cruising. I used to cruise every year or sometimes twice a year.  When the prices started going up, I cut back and then the pandemic happened.  Being in Miami, the choices have been terrible (believe it or not).  NCL used to debut all their new ships here.  We dont get Epic, we dont get many Jewel class ships either.  Some of the newer ships come in for a few weeks and then leave.  I loved the Encore but want to experience something new.  I also dont care for the Getaway or Breakway.....too conventional and not innovative.

Anyway you will see me around more here over the next 2 years until we all count down to the launch of Aqua.

Some comments on what you wrote:

What's a 'room cleaning fee"?

The Daily Service Charge represent gratuities and/or other compensation for your cabin steward, dining staff and assorted other ship's crew members. 

This is not Airbnb!

About that internet - you can share - the restriction is that only one device can be in use at a time.

For example, log off your laptop and your mate can log onto their phone (or whatever).

Re OBC:

The other responder mentions OBC from TA's. You mention  a PCC.

Not authorized to give it away? They don't have discretion to just do that to make a sale.

However, NCL still uses OBC specials.

I have a cruise next month. For the original booking made last July, NCL gave a $200 OBC.

I rebooked a few weeks later to get a $600 price reduction; but I lost that OBC as that offer had lapsed. I did get OBC and more from from TA.

The muster drill is much easier. At your 21 day check-in (which is also a change...it used to be you could complete it right after final payment), you watch the safety video then once on board, go to your muster station, get your card scanned and you are finished. The video does come up once again the first time you turn on your TV but I just unpack my tote bag while it runs. 

I'll never forget one of my first NCL cruises before FAS, I met a couple whose bar tab for 7 days was $1100! They are big fans of FAS and the $21 pp/pd.

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

The gratuities on the drink package is $21 pp pd, so two cocktails a day make it worth it. Plus you can bring on unlimited bottles of wine with no corkage if you have the package.

But when you are traveling with others who dont drink that much it's not very much worth it. I dont think the 4 of us could ever drink $600 worth of alcohol (retail value) on the ship.  Without the drink package our soda and alcohol bill will be around $200 which would save $400.  If it was just me, I would probably take the package but everyone weighs me down 🙂

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Some comments on what you wrote:

What's a 'room cleaning fee"?

The Daily Service Charge represent gratuities and/or other compensation for your cabin steward, dining staff and assorted other ship's crew members. 

This is not Airbnb!

About that internet - you can share - the restriction is that only one device can be in use at a time.

For example, log off your laptop and your mate can log onto their phone (or whatever).

Re OBC:

The other responder mentions OBC from TA's. You mention  a PCC.

Not authorized to give it away? They don't have discretion to just do that to make a sale.

However, NCL still uses OBC specials.

I have a cruise next month. For the original booking made last July, NCL gave a $200 OBC.

I rebooked a few weeks later to get a $600 price reduction; but I lost that OBC as that offer had lapsed. I did get OBC and more from from TA.

Thanks about the internet.  That makes sense.  Its just a change I had not seen before charging over $100 per person for unlimited.  I booked directly with NCL. I know that is unconventional since most use TAs.  I have used the same NCL PCC since 2009.  Can you believe that?  Its a stereotype that most of them are young, dumb, inexperienced people booking your cruise.   I like having my cruise on my NCL account for making payments, etc.  There are perks for booking with a cruise line but price is not one of them. I realize I could have saved a few hundred booking with a TA.  But I am superstitious and like to email my PCC about any changes, price drops, promos etc. I like working with them direct instead of going through a TA.  But I realize I am in the minority.

For Epic, Encore, and now Aqua its exciting to watch a new ship debut and learn all about her before you get on board.  Lastly, I misspoke about a "room cleaning fee."  I know the gratuities cover more than house keeping.  But its something that the gratuities are almost as much as an entire cruise used to cost.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Thanks about the internet.  That makes sense.  Its just a change I had not seen before charging over $100 per person for unlimited.  I booked directly with NCL. I know that is unconventional since most use TAs.  I have used the same NCL PCC since 2009.  Can you believe that?  Its a stereotype that most of them are young, dumb, inexperienced people booking your cruise.   I like having my cruise on my NCL account for making payments, etc.  There are perks for booking with a cruise line but price is not one of them. I realize I could have saved a few hundred booking with a TA.  But I am superstitious and like to email my PCC about any changes, price drops, promos etc. I like working with them direct instead of going through a TA.  But I realize I am in the minority.

For Epic, Encore, and now Aqua its exciting to watch a new ship debut and learn all about her before you get on board.  Lastly, I misspoke about a "room cleaning fee."  I know the gratuities cover more than house keeping.  But its something that the gratuities are almost as much as an entire cruise used to cost.

Sometimes the cruise lines will throw in something extra, which is nice.

I have used a TA for all but, I think, one cruise over all the years. And saved lots of cash.

If you are comfy working with the PCC's, that's your choice. Whatever makes you happy.

44 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

But when you are traveling with others who dont drink that much it's not very much worth it. I dont think the 4 of us could ever drink $600 worth of alcohol (retail value) on the ship.  Without the drink package our soda and alcohol bill will be around $200 which would save $400.  If it was just me, I would probably take the package but everyone weighs me down 🙂

I get it (I don’t drink soda at all so would’ve even pay the gratuities on a soda package if it was eligible for FAS), just pointing out the break even point is 2 alcoholic drinks (or 1 drink 2 sodas or 1 drink 2 mock tails). 

On 12/23/2023 at 5:50 PM, david_sobe said:

OMG I was on the same cruise. The one with the big fight. Enjoy your return big guy!

6 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

OMG I was on the same cruise. The one with the big fight. Enjoy your return big guy!

No.  I was on the one before you.  I thought your cruise was the last one but maybe there was one more.  Encore arrived late to Miami for your embarkation.  Rumor was there may have been Covid and they were cleaning the ship.  Someone posted that fight on youtube.  I still cant believe the guy who threw punches while never putting down his beer.

8 hours ago, david_sobe said:

No.  I was on the one before you.  I thought your cruise was the last one but maybe there was one more.  Encore arrived late to Miami for your embarkation.  Rumor was there may have been Covid and they were cleaning the ship.  Someone posted that fight on youtube.  I still cant believe the guy who threw punches while never putting down his beer.

My cruise wasn’t the one that got cut short for COVID— it was the one after mine, so I think yours was two before the COVID cruise. 

dear mr sobe! perhaps (just a guess) you arent fully aware of the pluses and minuses of the drink package. the basic package requires only the 1st 2 people in a cabin to get the package. so if your traveling companion can drink only about 2 per day that will cover the costs. if the other 2 are in the same cabin, they dont get  the package unless they pay for it. in your case since they dont drink much (if at all) there is no problem. If they are booked into a different cabin, the drink package can be waived in its entirety thereby having the cost of cruise reduced by that amount. you and your cabin mate can also elect to not take the drink package. A can of soda costs about $3.00 per, so equate that with the costs of the liquor package for the length of your cruise.

Starbucks is not included. if you want a starbucks coffee you must pay at the individual rate. we are currently booked (2 people) on the 17 day trans atlantic in april from rio to lisbon. i had seriously considered not taking the drink package. This would have saved us approximately $600+.

With the package, i tend to drink more than i normally would at any other time, so giving  up and paying 

on a per drink didnt seem like such a bad idea. I would just drink that much less.

my wife (who had recently developed a fondness for Riesling wine) , pointed out that it would be cheaper in the long run to get the package. Note, we've been married for 54 years and she has always been either a non or very lightweight drinker) our usual traveling companion introduced her to riesling on a recent cruise, and as they say "the rest is history" !!

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

dear mr sobe! perhaps (just a guess) you arent fully aware of the pluses and minuses of the drink package. the basic package requires only the 1st 2 people in a cabin to get the package. so if your traveling companion can drink only about 2 per day that will cover the costs. if the other 2 are in the same cabin, they dont get  the package unless they pay for it. in your case since they dont drink much (if at all) there is no problem. If they are booked into a different cabin, the drink package can be waived in its entirety thereby having the cost of cruise reduced by that amount. you and your cabin mate can also elect to not take the drink package. A can of soda costs about $3.00 per, so equate that with the costs of the liquor package for the length of your cruise.

Starbucks is not included. if you want a starbucks coffee you must pay at the individual rate. we are currently booked (2 people) on the 17 day trans atlantic in april from rio to lisbon. i had seriously considered not taking the drink package. This would have saved us approximately $600+.

With the package, i tend to drink more than i normally would at any other time, so giving  up and paying 

on a per drink didnt seem like such a bad idea. I would just drink that much less.

my wife (who had recently developed a fondness for Riesling wine) , pointed out that it would be cheaper in the long run to get the package. Note, we've been married for 54 years and she has always been either a non or very lightweight drinker) our usual traveling companion introduced her to riesling on a recent cruise, and as they say "the rest is history" !!

Yes all of that makes sense.  I am am sailing in a Haven cabin with 3 others which makes it a different scenario for just 2 people.  The gratuities for 4 were $600.  No way we could drink that much alcohol and soda retail price.  When I last sailed in 2020, only me and my wife had it.  I made out a little bit on it but the in laws never drank or maybe once so that worked out.  With the change of everyone in the cabin having it is a waste of money this time.  I am not complaining, just pointing out the differences from last time.

On 12/25/2023 at 4:42 PM, david_sobe said:

Yes all of that makes sense.  I am am sailing in a Haven cabin with 3 others which makes it a different scenario for just 2 people.  The gratuities for 4 were $600.  No way we could drink that much alcohol and soda retail price.  When I last sailed in 2020, only me and my wife had it.  I made out a little bit on it but the in laws never drank or maybe once so that worked out.  With the change of everyone in the cabin having it is a waste of money this time.  I am not complaining, just pointing out the differences from last time.

I have 3 in a Haven cabin for a 10-night cruise, and our drink package gratuities are $654. It's $21.80 per person, per day. 

On 12/26/2023 at 10:25 AM, david_sobe said:

Just in case anyone missed it.  I hope they all got booted off the ship.

We were on this cruise. We watched them get escorted off in Puerto Rico! 

• Like 1