New Zealand Cruises

Peter Lanky

11 minutes ago, Sarnia 432 said:

I had clocked that one previously, but it's expensive even by Silversea standards, and no accessible cabins at the entry level, and only 1 at the next price level. £30K or more realistically £33K where they have 3 cabins for a 3 week holiday is just a step too far.

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

It's a bit early to be looking for 2026, lots of cruise lines haven't published their itineraries yet. 

To add, most cruise lines publish their upcoming itineraries about 18-24 months out, and typically roll them out seasonally.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

Even the Silversea cruise is part of a longer agenda that does include Australia.  Bottom line is that once the various cruise lines publish their 2026 itineraries, it is possible that the OP would be able to carve out some cruises that do not involve Australia.  I will add that NZ is one of our favorite countries (to visit) and trying to see the country from a cruise is quite limiting.  We have cruised around NZ (twice) and also spent extended driving trips on both North and South Island.  Of all our visits, it is the few weeks we drove on South Island that is the most memorable.  Much of that island is not really accessible on port days.  IMHO, combining a cruise with a pre/post driving trip is ideal.

Hank

11 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Even the Silversea cruise is part of a longer agenda that does include Australia.  Bottom line is that once the various cruise lines publish their 2026 itineraries, it is possible that the OP would be able to carve out some cruises that do not involve Australia.  I will add that NZ is one of our favorite countries (to visit) and trying to see the country from a cruise is quite limiting.  We have cruised around NZ (twice) and also spent extended driving trips on both North and South Island.  Of all our visits, it is the few weeks we drove on South Island that is the most memorable.  Much of that island is not really accessible on port days.  IMHO, combining a cruise with a pre/post driving trip is ideal.

Hank

Our plan is to fly into South Island and then make our way to Auckland by train, spending maybe 7-10 days overland, and then embark on a cruise, hence we don't want to waste days sailing to/from Australia, as we have to keep the total trip to under 30 days (complicated).

We are already visiting the East coast of Australia in March and then again in September, travelling entirely by train around the country, so any further visits there would be duplication.

As I need an accessible cabin, we are forced to book early as there are so few of them on the ships. Leaving it too late risks not getting a berth.

Edited by Peter Lanky

Just now, Peter Lanky said:

Our plan is to fly into South Island and then make our way to Auckland by train, spending maybe 7-10 days overland, and then embark on a cruise, hence we don't want to waste days sailing to/from Australia, as we have to keep the total trip to under 30 days (complicated).

We are already visiting the East coast of Australia in March and then again in September, travelling entirely by train around the country, so any further visits there would be duplication.

Some trains (such as the Tranzalpine) are quite interesting.  But South Island (our favorite of the two islands) is a very rural place and using trains would be almost as limiting as a cruise.  Consider there are glaciers you can visit (by car or bus), the Milford Sound area (not really accessible by train), etc.  Some cruise ships do get into Milford Sound (1 of our two cruises got there and the other had to cancel because of weather) but it is a much more interesting experience driving down to that part of NZ.  The drive goes over some beautiful mountain areas, and once at the sound area there are small boat tours that are truly fantastic.  A cruise ship can get you within a half mile (or so) of parts of the shoreline, but the smaller boats can take you right under a waterfall :).  

Speaking of South Island, the town of Queenstown (and its surrounding area) is among our favorite spots in the world!  This is an area not generally accessible to cruisers (it is quite far from the nearest port) and a place where I remarked to DW, "I don't want to leave."  We actually met several young folks who told us when they got to Queenstown on post college trips, they never left!  It is that kind of place.

Hank

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Some trains (such as the Tranzalpine) are quite interesting.  But South Island (our favorite of the two islands) is a very rural place and using trains would be almost as limiting as a cruise. 

My disability would make self drive difficult. It's hard enough in a car that I'm familiar with. One of those things I have to live with while trying to get myself the best experience.

10 minutes ago, Peter Lanky said:

My disability would make self drive difficult. It's hard enough in a car that I'm familiar with. One of those things I have to live with while trying to get myself the best experience.

Bus/Train (assuming you can physically handle it) is also a good option.  We used our rental car to get around South Island (one can also do this on a tour bus) but often found ourselves booking local tours (via buses, vans, boats).  Just writing on this thread has given me the strong desire to return to South Island.

Hank