Amtrak luggage question

brookie848

We live in Albany, NY and are considering taking Amtrak to either NYC or Boston to cruise. Our issue is luggage -- most trains (especially to NYC) don't offer luggage service. Are we just out of luck or severely limited in what will work for us?

For those of you who have checked baggage on Amtrak, did it work well for you? Unfortunately, a single carry-on is not possible for us -- we have some medical things that take up space.

We are also interested in any good suggestions for hotels out of the cities where we could park our car and then get to the port via another method. There don't seem to be many good options for Boston -- I wasn't sure about hotels in New Jersey for the NYC port. We would be cruising NCL, so it would be the port in the city proper.

Thanks!

46 minutes ago, brookie848 said:

We live in Albany, NY and are considering taking Amtrak to either NYC or Boston to cruise. Our issue is luggage -- most trains (especially to NYC) don't offer luggage service. Are we just out of luck or severely limited in what will work for us?

For another option check Yankee Trails which provides bus service from Albany area to the Boston, NJ & NYC cruise terminals.

9 minutes ago, jkneern said:

Every Amtrak train car has an area to store your luggage. Any smaller pieces can go over your seat (like a plane/bus)

we use Amtrak every time we cruise from NYC

According to the website, most trains from ALB to NYC don't offer luggage service. The only one that does is Lake Shore Limited.

24 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

For another option check Yankee Trails which provides bus service from Albany area to the Boston, NJ & NYC cruise terminals.

I've thought about this, but we tend to freak out a bit and what to be in our departure city the day before -- even if it is only a couple of hours away. I will check to see if they offer one-way trips for the day of debarkation or just see if this is something we are willing to let go and do.

We've taken a trip with Yankee Trails before and it was okay.

Edited by brookie848

Boston Hotels with parking. For Boston downtown, you won’t find much or will pay up to $60 per day just to park. I suggest looking at the LaQuinta in Somerville. They have an outside lot. Then you can drive to the port on embarkation day and park is the Massport lot. 

14 minutes ago, brookie848 said:

According to the website, most trains from ALB to NYC don't offer luggage service. The only one that does is Lake Shore Limited.

The reference to "luggage service" means checked luggage service. Even without checked luggage service you're entitled to carry on a substantial amount of luggage. This page explains the policy:

https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/baggage-policy/carry-on-baggage.html

On all Amtrak trains each passenger is permitted to carry on a personal item of up to 25 pounds measuring up to 14x11x7 inches, plus two carry on items weighing up to 50 pounds each and measuring up to 28x22x14 inches each. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The reference to "luggage service" means checked luggage service. Even without checked luggage service you're entitled to carry on a substantial amount of luggage. This page explains the policy:

https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/baggage-policy/carry-on-baggage.html

On all Amtrak trains each passenger is permitted to carry on a personal item of up to 25 pounds measuring up to 14x11x7 inches, plus two carry on items weighing up to 50 pounds each and measuring up to 28x22x14 inches each. 

Thank you!  I searched for baggage service, but it came to a different page.

This is definitely helpful.

• Like 1

We regularly travel via Amtrak to NYP. 

When you arrive at the station, either end, go to the Red Cap area. Tell them which train you are on. They will assist you getting your luggage onto the train - before the general boarding. While the service is free, we do tip them. While on the train, ask the conductor to request Red Cap service at either NYP or ALB. They will meet  you at your car and assist getting your luggage from the platform to either your car or to a taxi. We had great service at NYP last week. They took our luggage outside of the station and helped secure a yellow cab for us. Again, tips are appreciated. 

One of the questions we have been asked several times on the sailing we are currently on from NYC has been about how we deal with luggage on Amtrak. We can't tell folks how amazing we find the Red Caps at both the Albany station and at Moynahan Hall at Penn Station in NYC. 

Edited by spirit rev
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, brookie848 said:

For those of you who have checked baggage on Amtrak, did it work well for you? Unfortunately, a single carry-on is not possible for us -- we have some medical things that take up space.

Baggage (which is the term used more often by carriers than "luggage") can be transported either as "checked," meaning that the carrier takes custody of the baggage, or "carry-on," meaning that the baggage remains in the custody of the passenger. A ticket entitles passengers to both checked baggage and carry-on baggage. If a particular train does not have a baggage car, then you can send checked baggage on an earlier train, and it will be waiting in the baggage room upon your arrival. That said, most passengers do not need checked baggage because the carry-on baggage allowances are generous by themselves. The checked baggage allowance is, generally, two larger pieces. The carry-on baggage allowance is, generally, two larger pieces and one smaller piece. Medical items do not count towards this allowance. Coats and the like generally do not count towards this allowance. Thus, if each of you have one piece consisting of medical items, then the two of you, collectively, could be able to have transported free of additional charge twelve pieces of baggage, plus coats and the like, without charge, eight pieces being carry-on (six regular and two medical), and four pieces sent the day before as checked baggage on the Lake Shore Limited.

Just a note 

We have never had any issues with getting all of our luggage/suitcases onto the same train we are on between Albany and NYP. They are even in the same car as we are. When we cruise our total luggage is 2 (airline) checked size pieces, two carry-on size pieces and at least 3 personal items. 

Be sure to see a redcap for assistance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spirit rev said:

Be sure to see a redcap for assistance. 

And on the outbound, since Red Cap service isn't available in Albany, advise the conductor when they scan your ticket after boarding that you'll need it on arrival to New York or Boston (which do offer the service) and they will have them waiting for you. 

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

And on the outbound, since Red Cap service isn't available in Albany, advise the conductor when they scan your ticket after boarding that you'll need it on arrival to New York or Boston (which do offer the service) and they will have them waiting for you. 

We always have redcap service when we boarded in Albany. Yes, advise the conductor that you would like redcap service when arriving in  NYP. This is our experience over years of travelling Amtrak from Albany to NYC  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2023 at 7:47 PM, spirit rev said:

We always have redcap service when we boarded in Albany. Yes, advise the conductor that you would like redcap service when arriving in  NYP. This is our experience over years of travelling Amtrak from Albany to NYC  

We've considered driving from Rochester and taking Amtrak into NY.  How is the long term parking at Albany? I've been to that station though I didn't have a car with me.   (It was a MUCH better station than SDY where I used to travel to often!)

50 minutes ago, DuckTollerFans said:

We've considered driving from Rochester and taking Amtrak into NY.  How is the long term parking at Albany? I've been to that station though I didn't have a car with me.   (It was a MUCH better station than SDY where I used to travel to often!)

First, we like to travel from Albany station, even though Schenectady station is closer because a number of the trains originate in Albany. There can be delays arriving into ALB with the other trains, particularly the ones coming from the west. The trains starting in ALB do not have cafe service so be prepared if you want food or beverage. I can provide you with these train numbers if you would like. 

Parking at the Albany-Rensselaer Amtrak station is good. We have never had a problem getting a space. There is a parking garage attached to the station. There are also three surface lots. There are signs directing you to the parking from the station building. If you prefer, you can drop off your luggage at the main door to the station with someone staying with the luggage while the other parks. Signs at the parking entrance direct you to each lot and give prices. All lots have a daily and weekly rate. Note: they recently started to take only credit card as you exit. If you want to pay cash, there is a machine in the station that will allow you to pay your parking fee in cash before going to your car. 

Luggage assistance is available in a "booth" along the wall near where the entrance to the tracks is - kinda opposite from the post office.