Money Bar vs Skyreef

houseflipper48

I've never been to Skyreef, but have been to Moneybar several times. We've had some decent snorkeling (for Cozumel, from the shore) there and the food is really good. It's usually quiet and not too crowded and there are loungers or tables with umbrellas.

There's a decent amount of coral, lots of small fish and we've also seen barracuda and a nurse shark. 

On 12/27/2023 at 9:21 PM, houseflipper48 said:

Hi! Trying to decide between these 2 places. Looking to relax, grab drinks, lunch and snorkel. We have our own snorkel equipment so no rentals needed. Has anyone been to either place recently? Thx!

Yes I have.  Money Bar you can do a drift snorkel from the bar down to Fiesta Americana.  Nice reef.  Sky Reef also has good snorkeling.  Food wise we preferred Sky Reef.  We also rent car in Cozumel so we usually visit both.  I THINK there is a rinse off at both.

We have been to both, and like both.  The entrance to the water is easier at sky reef, and because of this, we prefer Sky Reef over Money Bar.  We have been going to Money Bar for years and found Sky Reef when cruising started back up in 2021.   Snorkeling is good at both, When you go to sky reef, they try to get you to do the all inclusive, we politely say no we'd rather al a carte.  Food and drinks both places are good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2024 at 8:47 AM, topspot said:

We have been to both, and like both.  The entrance to the water is easier at sky reef, and because of this, we prefer Sky Reef over Money Bar.  We have been going to Money Bar for years and found Sky Reef when cruising started back up in 2021.   Snorkeling is good at both, When you go to sky reef, they try to get you to do the all inclusive, we politely say no we'd rather al a carte.  Food and drinks both places are good.

Just want to confirm that you can do a la carte at either venue. Can you rent snorkel equipment there and how long and what is the cab cost to get there? 

On 1/11/2024 at 1:33 PM, noshoobie said:

Just want to confirm that you can do a la carte at either venue. Can you rent snorkel equipment there and how long and what is the cab cost to get there? 

I’m not sure about rental equipment as we have our own.  Pretty sure Money Bar has rental equipment.  We have done al a carte at both places.  Cab was around 12.00 for up to 4 people each way.   You can do an internet search on each place to find their menu also get phone # and make a WiFi call to them to see if they rent equipment.

I've been to both. I'm an avid snorkeler and have snorkeled all over the Caribbean. A lot of people recommend the Money Bar for great snorkeling, I personally did not think it was great (but I don't know what others are comparing it to so it's a matter of opinion). 

CLICK HERE to see my pictures of the place and snorkeling. 

Now Sky Reef was pretty amazing to see. I have never in my life seen so many different colored sea fans. It was like an entirely different snorkeling experience and we loved it there. 

HERE is my review with tons of pictures from there as well. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 9:22 PM, mitsugirly said:

I've been to both. I'm an avid snorkeler and have snorkeled all over the Caribbean. A lot of people recommend the Money Bar for great snorkeling, I personally did not think it was great (but I don't know what others are comparing it to so it's a matter of opinion). 

Now Sky Reef was pretty amazing to see. I have never in my life seen so many different colored sea fans. It was like an entirely different snorkeling experience and we loved it there. 

Thank you so much for your post and review. You sold me - we will be going to Sky Reef!

32 minutes ago, Ed Hibbard said:

The photos of Sky Reef were very impressive.

Has anyone been there in the last 12 months? We will be in Cozumel in two weeks.

Thanks.

While I haven't personally, I did post this information for someone awhile back and they went last year and said it was an amazing day. Maybe you can find the post somewhere I'm not sure. 

On 1/13/2024 at 7:22 PM, mitsugirly said:

@mitsugirly we are headed to Cozumel mid February and there are 7 ships in port that day. Please help us decide what to do! Lol. Family of 4 with 2 kids, ages 11 & 13. Both are water kids and love to swim. We are thinking on Chankanaab with PAYG option as our main want for the day is some snorkelling with lots to see. In my research, I stumbled past Sky Reef and am now considering this with the a la carte option as well. We have never been to either location.

Chankanaab AI I'm not sold on because I've heard the buffet food and drinks are mediocre at best and are a good distance walk away. I am a foodie so the thought of Sky Reef and some better eats appeals to me. I know you have been to Chankanaab a couple times (I've checked out all your reviews!) Have you tried the food/drink options by independent vendors there? Any suggestions? 

Considering our wants of good snorkelling and the possibility of some yummy eats...what do you recommend? Chankanabb vs. Sky Reef or maybe something else?

13 minutes ago, dmori said:

@mitsugirly we are headed to Cozumel mid February and there are 7 ships in port that day. Please help us decide what to do! Lol. Family of 4 with 2 kids, ages 11 & 13. Both are water kids and love to swim. We are thinking on Chankanaab with PAYG option as our main want for the day is some snorkelling with lots to see. In my research, I stumbled past Sky Reef and am now considering this with the a la carte option as well. We have never been to either location.

Chankanaab AI I'm not sold on because I've heard the buffet food and drinks are mediocre at best and are a good distance walk away. I am a foodie so the thought of Sky Reef and some better eats appeals to me. I know you have been to Chankanaab a couple times (I've checked out all your reviews!) Have you tried the food/drink options by independent vendors there? Any suggestions? 

Considering our wants of good snorkelling and the possibility of some yummy eats...what do you recommend? Chankanabb vs. Sky Reef or maybe something else?

When we went to Chankanaab the second time, we had this huge platter of food and it was only $12. I thought it was very good. Although I'm sure those prices have changed drastically. We ordered as we sat at the palapa's on the beach in front of snorkeling. There are plenty of waiters walking up and down the beach to take your order (I'm not sure if that's what you mean by independent vendors). We didn't eat the last time we were there. We were too excited about our Snuba and then snorkeling over by the dolphins afterwards. I have always read that those that have purchased the buffet were highly disappointed. I don't know what the difference is since I've never had it before. Chankanaab is a very large place with various things to see. So, it depends if you want a lot of things...seeing the sites around the area, snorkeling, sea lion show (which we still have never been) but do know they no longer have the zip lines or the alligator area anymore (since covid). Snorkeling is a little different too. You have to go up and down the shoreline and it's a big decline quickly with wavy water. Of course there are the statues out in the water if you decide to venture out that way. If you decide to go here, make sure you clip the $2 coupon for it to save a few bucks. 

We loved Sky Reef because the snorkeling was so different than our normal snorkeling adventures. The sea fans just amazed me for some reason. The good thing about this snorkeling was it was in shallow water and so super easy to do (which might be a consideration for the kids). The food here was yummy as well. 

It's such a hard decision because they are just two totally different places. 

14 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

When we went to Chankanaab the second time, we had this huge platter of food and it was only $12. I thought it was very good. Although I'm sure those prices have changed drastically. We ordered as we sat at the palapa's on the beach in front of snorkeling. There are plenty of waiters walking up and down the beach to take your order (I'm not sure if that's what you mean by independent vendors). We didn't eat the last time we were there. We were too excited about our Snuba and then snorkeling over by the dolphins afterwards. I have always read that those that have purchased the buffet were highly disappointed. I don't know what the difference is since I've never had it before. Chankanaab is a very large place with various things to see. So, it depends if you want a lot of things...seeing the sites around the area, snorkeling, sea lion show (which we still have never been) but do know they no longer have the zip lines or the alligator area anymore (since covid). Snorkeling is a little different too. You have to go up and down the shoreline and it's a big decline quickly with wavy water. Of course there are the statues out in the water if you decide to venture out that way. If you decide to go here, make sure you clip the $2 coupon for it to save a few bucks. 

We loved Sky Reef because the snorkeling was so different than our normal snorkeling adventures. The sea fans just amazed me for some reason. The good thing about this snorkeling was it was in shallow water and so super easy to do (which might be a consideration for the kids). The food here was yummy as well. 

It's such a hard decision because they are just two totally different places. 

Thank you! I haven't found much info on vendors (and yes, thats what I meant by independent vendors) so that is a concern. I recently read on trip advisor that someone paid something like $150 for nachos for 6. My kids are ALWAYS hungry and although they are meal eaters they are also frequent snackers. I have a hard time paying premiums for snack shack food 😛 and assuming we wouldn't be able to take outside snack/food in. I do like the option of a bit more to see and do. So Chankanaab is more drift snorkelling along the shoreline? I know the kiddos will want to refrain from life jackets while snorkelling, so this is helpful info. I do have the coupon saved for it we go! Thanks for the tip!

For the $28 admission to Chankanaab we could use that easily towards food & drink with a la carte option at Sky Reef and maybe just as much or more to see snorkelling. Is the majority of the snorkelling here in shallow depths? Looks like Sky Reef is a little further from port than Chankanaab, but really a taxi stop next door. maybe we should plan to feel out Sky Reef first and see how busy it is with 7 ships in port and if not to our liking head next door to Chankanaab... 

Edited by dmori

16 hours ago, dmori said:

I recently read on trip advisor that someone paid something like $150 for nachos for 6.

That does not sound right at all. There's no way they paid that much for nachos. Nachos were $10 each. 

I'm going to attach the menus. This is from last year when we were there:

image.thumb.jpeg.b99160491a720ea30b4e803ae6a7fe8f.jpeg

P4131504.thumb.jpg.1cb241db6b0df41581c5df012410f53b.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.3aac412e669a55072007e1ce4a9da554.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1dfc2e33f2bc27ab96b08b9845c00095.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.52c39a1a3a64a1ce338c13f44295104d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d76eb3e9a011d1090ead75472ac3ccae.jpeg

The water at Chankanaab does go in a certain direction. It's easiest to start down at the end and snorkel back (from left to right when facing the beach). We've been diving in Cozumel and it does seem to be the place for drifting even when diving. 

16 hours ago, dmori said:

For the $28 admission to Chankanaab we could use that easily towards food & drink with a la carte option at Sky Reef and maybe just as much or more to see snorkelling. Is the majority of the snorkelling here in shallow depths? Looks like Sky Reef is a little further from port than Chankanaab, but really a taxi stop next door. maybe we should plan to feel out Sky Reef first and see how busy it is with 7 ships in port and if not to our liking head next door to Chankanaab... 

Yes it was mainly shallow in the snorkeling area. If you look at my review (listed above) you can see in the pictures how shallow it is with a lot to see. We were right along the shore line going up and down it. You could stand up if needed. 

Sky reef is down the road from Chankanaab. So just know you would have to get a taxi to take you there. It's not like right next door and you could walk really. Just be aware that Sky Reef doesn't have the sandy beach area like Chankanaab does. Take a look at the pictures. It's very small compared to Chank. 

image.thumb.jpeg.703fb23c5e38dc5214cea83821bc3bd7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f7006acd9a89ac3ecd847318152c0dab.jpeg

I just want you to know what to expect. We loved Sky Reef though.

Here's the menu at Sky Reef

image.thumb.jpeg.87eac26539ab4db5066334e2da385f18.jpeg

Food was great and a lot of it. (This is from our 2021 land vacation there). 

image.thumb.jpeg.14c57d8a255c54d0f2ebc1bd577df687.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3aa62306b50bc998c24a53a813752405.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ab37b782cfccef9f79ed9e35569dba10.jpeg

20 hours ago, dmori said:

Thank you! I haven't found much info on vendors (and yes, thats what I meant by independent vendors) so that is a concern. I recently read on trip advisor that someone paid something like $150 for nachos for 6. My kids are ALWAYS hungry and although they are meal eaters they are also frequent snackers. I have a hard time paying premiums for snack shack food 😛 and assuming we wouldn't be able to take outside snack/food in. I do like the option of a bit more to see and do. So Chankanaab is more drift snorkelling along the shoreline? I know the kiddos will want to refrain from life jackets while snorkelling, so this is helpful info. I do have the coupon saved for it we go! Thanks for the tip!

There are definitely some sub-contracted venues within Chankanaab. I am not sure what the official arrangement is or whether you would consider them as independent vendors. Not sure how the price would come to $150 for Nachos - I assume that was total with drinks, or was it at Cabana Beach? 

One thing to watch with Chankanaab is sales from your cruiseline. We have visited independently with PAYG admission, taxi, food while meeting family doing dolphin excursion through the ship which included food, transport, admission. The included buffet is nothing special but edible and fine as a snack for kids (depending on how picky they are) I think it included a couple of drinks. 

We had booked another time through the ship with buffet and transport as it was cheaper on sale than going independent but never actually experienced it as trip was cancelled. 

We also sat on the palapas above the sea wall and used the bar service for food and drink.

You have a lot more options at Chankanaab including pool (we used the pool without any problems although I have read mixed reviews as to whether you need a separate pass, or purchase drinks there to use it) than at Sky reef although your kids are older than most of the included activities at Chankanaab, other than pool, probably appeal to. There are extra pay activities but I believe the zip line has closed and certainly xtrem.

Sky Reef you have to be careful on pricing and not get coerced into a package. Alternative snorkeling next door at Playa Corona, again careful with charging. Not much for kids to do at Sky Reef other than snorkeling so it may depend on weather as to whether it is a good option. It isn’t very big - restaurant, loungers, tequila tasting. Chankanaab would require a taxi if you changed your mind. Seems like an expensive second option. Probably cheaper to taxi back close to your pier and snorkel or a pool somewhere near there if you need a second place.

Edited by c-leg5

4 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

That does not sound right at all. There's no way they paid that much for nachos. Nachos were $10 each. 

The water at Chankanaab does go in a certain direction. It's easiest to start down at the end and snorkel back (from left to right when facing the beach). We've been diving in Cozumel and it does seem to be the place for drifting even when diving. 

Yes it was mainly shallow in the snorkeling area. If you look at my review (listed above) you can see in the pictures how shallow it is with a lot to see. We were right along the shore line going up and down it. You could stand up if needed. 

Sky reef is down the road from Chankanaab. So just know you would have to get a taxi to take you there. It's not like right next door and you could walk really. Just be aware that Sky Reef doesn't have the sandy beach area like Chankanaab does. Take a look at the pictures. It's very small compared to Chank. 

Thank you for the menus and additional feedback on SkyReef! That does give me a good idea of what they offer 🙂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

There are definitely some sub-contracted venues within Chankanaab. I am not sure what the official arrangement is or whether you would consider them as independent vendors. Not sure how the price would come to $150 for Nachos - I assume that was total with drinks, or was it at Cabana Beach? 

One thing to watch with Chankanaab is sales from your cruiseline. We have visited independently with PAYG admission, taxi, food while meeting family doing dolphin excursion through the ship which included food, transport, admission. The included buffet is nothing special but edible and fine as a snack for kids (depending on how picky they are) I think it included a couple of drinks. 

We had booked another time through the ship with buffet and transport as it was cheaper on sale than going independent but never actually experienced it as trip was cancelled. 

We also sat on the palapas above the sea wall and used the bar service for food and drink.

You have a lot more options at Chankanaab including pool (we used the pool without any problems although I have read mixed reviews as to whether you need a separate pass, or purchase drinks there to use it) than at Sky reef although your kids are older than most of the included activities at Chankanaab, other than pool, probably appeal to. There are extra pay activities but I believe the zip line has closed and certainly xtrem.

Sky Reef you have to be careful on pricing and not get coerced into a package. Alternative snorkeling next door at Playa Corona, again careful with charging. Not much for kids to do at Sky Reef other than snorkeling so it may depend on weather as to whether it is a good option. It isn’t very big - restaurant, loungers, tequila tasting. Chankanaab would require a taxi if you changed your mind. Seems like an expensive second option. Probably cheaper to taxi back close to your pier and snorkel or a pool somewhere near there if you need a second place.

All great points! Sounds like Chankanaab may be he most fitting incase the weather isn't as ideal for snorkelling as it allows for additional opportunities to keep the kids busy. I don't know why I am struggling so much with this port. Its an easy decision to just hit up a beach club when its just my hubby and I, but keeping the kiddos entertained is a priority for this family trip! Id be happy with a cold one and some sand...Zzz...

3 minutes ago, dmori said:

Thank you for the menus and additional feedback on SkyReef! That does give me a good idea of what they offer 🙂

16 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

4 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

I also briefly looked at a private excursion through a local company (coxumelcruisetours.com - if anyone has used them with reviews/feedback that would be great!). With 7 ships in port that day, I do have concerns for taxi availability and entrance admission without a reservation for Chankanaab. A booked excursion offering transportation would ease a bit of this. @mitsugirly do you have any feedback on Palancar Reef snorkelling, Columbia Reef snorkelling and a beach stop/snorkel at El Cielo beach? If so, how would it compare to Chankanaab (I know...different snorkelling as Chank as its open water and not shoreline snorkelling - but would there be just as much to see?!?!) Thanks! 

28 minutes ago, dmori said:

All great points! Sounds like Chankanaab may be he most fitting incase the weather isn't as ideal for snorkelling as it allows for additional opportunities to keep the kids busy. I don't know why I am struggling so much with this port. Its an easy decision to just hit up a beach club when its just my hubby and I, but keeping the kiddos entertained is a priority for this family trip! Id be happy with a cold one and some sand...Zzz...

Most people with kids that age probably go to Paradise beach and that would probably be my choice with extended family. (We tend to go to quieter choices as a couple.)  However with the push towards AI,  that has become a very expensive beach day, especially when you add in fee for water toys extra. We have only done PAYG - again I would want to be certain of weather.

I did see a review once for the Ecoparque once on CC with kids that age, which you might find. I am surprised there aren’t more reviews in all the years I have been following Cozumel.

Punta Sur can be an enjoyable quieter day (lighthouse, lagoon, crocodiles, beach, (snorkeling but you need to be a strong swimmer)but you would need to keep a driver with you as it is a distance from port, cash only, limited cell service.

Other options would be a day pass to a resort hotel - you would need to check which have suitable activities but advantage is you can reserve through a broker with deposit and can usually cancel on the day if weather is bad. This is the route we often take when traveling with kids. paddle boards, jet skis, ATV, dune buggies through brokers.

7 ships, whilst a lot is not unusual for Cozumel although becoming more difficult with all the mega ships. Taxis have never been in short supply!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

You have a lot more options at Chankanaab including pool (we used the pool without any problems although I have read mixed reviews as to whether you need a separate pass, or purchase drinks there to use it)

Yes, you have to purchase a wrist band for an additional cost. They ran us off before we ever made it into the water. 😞

3 hours ago, dmori said:

Sounds like Chankanaab may be he most fitting incase the weather isn't as ideal for snorkelling as it allows for additional opportunities to keep the kids busy.

Just remember, if the weather is bad, it's going to apply to Chankanaab too. The free sea lion show is outside as well. The swims with any of the animals (dolphins or manatees) are (of course outside) but are very costly to buy. Snorkeling...well free but the same if it rains. There's an area you can walk around for free, but you are outside. If you do any extras like Snuba or Discover Scuba...well, you're under water so it wouldn't matter if it rained, but again...cost extra. 

So, I would say that if it rains, no matter which place you go to, it will still be the same. 🤷‍♀️

3 hours ago, dmori said:

I do have concerns for taxi availability and entrance admission without a reservation for Chankanaab

Absolutely no chance of not having a taxi to get there. There's an over abundance amount begging to take you everywhere. 😉 

3 hours ago, dmori said:

@mitsugirly do you have any feedback on Palancar Reef snorkelling, Columbia Reef snorkelling and a beach stop/snorkel at El Cielo beach?

Yep, we've done that tour as well. You can find the review HERE

I'm going to give you the link to my website blog of everything we've done in Cozumel. You can take a look at the various reviews with tons of pictures and see if anything interest you. HERE

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

Yes, you have to purchase a wrist band for an additional cost. They ran us off before we ever made it into the water.

Maybe it has changed?

We had no problem and I have seen website maps of Chankanaab where it is not listed as extra but I have also heard people have problems like you.

Maybe that is another of the third party operator they have within the park. I have never really understood how it works within a national park - I guess they pay a fee to operate like the dolphins,  scuba, helmet dive, restaurants etc.

Edited by c-leg5

27 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

So, I would say that if it rains, no matter which place you go to, it will still be the same.

It isn’t just rain.

If an El Norte comes in it is cold. There have been days on Cozumel when I certainly don’t want to sit on the beach much less be in the water (which incidentally you can’t do if the port closes to all small craft).

someone reported Chankanaab snorkeling excursions cancelled just last week.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

I'm not sure. This happened to us last year when we were there. 

I was interested so emailed and this was the reply:

You can get information about our Parks and purchase Entrance tickets at www.cozumelparks.com The tickets are valid for one year from the service date, and are transferable, but not refundable. Or you can pay directly at the Ticket booth when you arrive at the Park (Schedule and fares attached).
In "Chankanaab Park" (Map attached) you have included the use of the general services and facilities: Parking lot, Beach area, Palapas, Beach chairs, Loungers, Hammocks, Life-jackets, Area for swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving, Bathrooms, Showers, Mayan house & kitchen, Garden with prehispanic replicas, Tequila tasting, Sea lions show.
NOT INCLUDED: Restaurants, Bars, meals, drinks, snorkel gear, services, or activities from the concessions.
However, at "Chankanaab Park" there are Concessions for optional activities or add-ons, following you will find the list. Please let me know if you are interested in some of those activities. I will provide you with the contact to get all the information and confirm your reservations, which you must do as soon as possible to guarantee your spaces. 
Do not purchase tickets online if interested in the add-ons because some include the entries.
  • Dolphin Encounter / Entrance fee, Buffet lunch, and Domestic open bar INCLUDED! *
  • Swim with Dolphins / Entrance fee, Buffet lunch, and Domestic open bar INCLUDED!*
  • Dolphin Royal Swim / Entrance fee, Buffet lunch, and Domestic open bar INCLUDED!*
  • Manatee Encounter / Entrance fee, Buffet lunch, and Domestic open bar INCLUDED! *
  • Sea lion Interaction / Entrance fee, Buffet lunch, and Domestic open bar INCLUDED! *
    *Also includes an exclusive area: Swimming pool (the only one in the park), Wet bar, lockers, parasol, beach chairs & loungers.
  • Snuba (combination between snorkel and scuba)
  • Seatrek (scuba like the old divers, walking at the bottom, with a helmet to breathe)
  • Scuba Diving (introduction or certified)
  • Snorkel package / Entrance fee, Buffet lunch, drinks, and amenities INCLUDED!  
  • Massages
  • Private Cabanas
Help us conserve nature by using only Biodegradable and coral-friendly Sunblock. In the Chankanaab Park, it is NOT ALLOWED:
  • Smoking 
  • Drones
  • Pets
  • Regular Sunblock 
  • Introduce coolers, food, drinks
  • Feed wild animals, birds, iguanas, raccoons

Perhaps it was because you were doing Snuba or Seatrek and had a different wristband? We had regular entrance and dolphin swim.