BTimmer's Almost Live Antarctica Redux - Oosterdam 1/7/24 to 1/29/24

Btimmer

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from Btimmer! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Live Cruise Reports page.. . When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Btimmer was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

We are headed back to Antarctica starting January 7, 2024 in San Antonio, Chile.  Some of you may recall that we were just there on the Zaandam's Grand South America (GSA) which ended last week. Thanks for following along on that thread.  Why would we return?  There are several reasons.  1.  Antarctica is a very cool place to visit and we want to get deeper into Antarctica since this voyage will be later in their summer.  2.  We missed the Falkland Islands and want another opportunity to see the King Penguins.  3.  It's a slightly different itinerary but includes Puerto Madryn, Argentina which is home to another large penguin colony. 4. We have another opportunity to visit Punta del Este, Uruguay which we also missed on the GSA. 5.  We booked this cruise while on the GSA. It's fairly inexpensive at just over $100/day for an obstructed window room. 6.  A chance to be back on the Oosterdam which we have sailed on a couple of times. 7.  A possible opportunity to visit Iguazu Falls at the end of the cruise without the pressure of getting back to the ship. 8.  We will not be leading or planning any group excursions and will enjoy visiting ports without outside pressures.  We are participants on excursions in a couple of key ports to be able to see penguins. 9.  Because we can.

I'll post a few pictures here and make comments comparing what it's like to do a Grand cruise and compare it with a "regular" cruise as the route is quite similar.  I'll also do one of my daily blogs that I'll later provide a link.  If you have any questions about this cruise or comparing it to the GSA, please post the question on this thread.  I'll try to answer as best as I can. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

This is going to answer my questions about the difference between the Grand Voyage and this "regular" Antarctica trip.  I'm very seriously considering one or the other but not until 2026.

I'll be here reading each day as you have time to post!  

Thank you,

~Nancy

Lucky you. It is my favourite itinerary. I do hope you get to

do the things that were not possible on the GSA. I think

your reason no. 9 is a good one !  Indeed, why not ?

I do hope this time you have our good fortune with The

Falklands (wall to wall sunshine both times).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

See you onboard! 

I’ll be doing a LIVE blog also!  

This will be my first time in Antarctica (and first time to Chile, Argentina and Uruguay). Also first time on HAL in 10 years.  

See you onboard.  This will be our 3rd time to Antarctica; the  two prior voyages were on the Zaandam.

• Like 3

I’m the one that asked you to do the comparison. Thank you!!  So glad to see you back doing another “Live”.  I hope you have fabulous weather with lots of wildlife viewing.   Maybe you’ll convince us to book another Antarctica trip for next year.  

• Like 1

We depart Seattle at 8:45am tomorrow (1/4); arrive Atlanta at 4:30pm.  Then Delta to Santiago at 7:45pm arriving around 7am.  Transferring to our hotel in San Antonio for a couple days stay to board the Oosterdam on Sunday,  1/7.  We have an obstructed window cabin on deck 4 starboard which is perfect for us.  It's getting real now!  Stay tuned.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

After an overnight flight from Atlanta and a 1 1/2 hour taxi ride, we made it to our casita at San Antonio. Chile. It's not the Ritz Carlton, but has a great location and is cute.  A 5 hour nap then happened before we ventured out to the nearby mall and walked the waterfront.  We'll take it easy tomorrow likely returning to the waterfront.  Here's a few pictures from today.

IMG_2789.thumb.jpeg.a0f68ff9c4827e83f9ae930742e01d46.jpeg

IMG_2792.thumb.jpeg.784aafa48e290661707535669fd3eda0.jpeg

IMG_2811.thumb.jpeg.cdb1c2da28d6b3be7ba6d1fd31d79a24.jpeg

IMG_2815.thumb.jpeg.dbf75fa747d75e558a494d45e9239cea.jpeg

IMG_2799.thumb.jpeg.6c37cad4860fc25e7c2c5442c2a918a5.jpeg

• Like 8

@Btimmer...allcaught up on your blog....any secrets to overcoming jet lag on these long overseas flights?   Are you just "used to it" from doing it often?  Have you found it takes longer to adjust as we get older?

Excited to be following another journey with you both!

36 minutes ago, Hogladyrider said:

@Btimmer...allcaught up on your blog....any secrets to overcoming jet lag on these long overseas flights?   Are you just "used to it" from doing it often?  Have you found it takes longer to adjust as we get older?

Excited to be following another journey with you both!

I wish I had a secret.  What works for me is to get what sleep I can on the plane and then try to get a long sleep as soon as I can at the destination.  Eastbound tends to be the hardest on me.  So far age hasn't seemed to have an effect. 

Thanks for following along.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hogladyrider said:

@Btimmer...thanks for the info!  ENJOY your day.

We're hanging out down on the waterfront esplanade and about enjoy some ceviche.  We just watched sea lion's gorge themselves on fish cleanings and toured the local fish market.  IMG_2828.thumb.jpeg.fdd6a17ecd7be85969e73fea33de0376.jpeg

• Like 8