The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday, December 28th, 2023

kazu

About noon, we decided to play hooky on this lovely, but slightly windy day.  We took a road trip that made the loop from Quartzsite to Bouse and Brenda and back.  It was a nice change of pace, and as expected, nothing in those two small communities had changed.

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites!  Almost to the end of 2023...we made it!  We usually do dry January, and I am looking forward to that, also a strict diet, as I need to lose a lot of weight!  Pat is still losing, I'm still finding.  We had word today that a childhood friend of Pat's in Ireland passed away yesterday.  She had been in the hospital in Waterford for 10 weeks, they were just keeping her comfortable.  So it's a sad day for Pat.  I think he's emailing the family now, or maybe he'll telephone.

I am not a soup lover, and I'm not crazy about tomatoes either, so minestrone is not for me.  The only two soups I really do enjoy are split pea and ham, and (white) clam chowder.  My ham bone is in the freezer waiting for me to find some split peas and get started.  Pat would eat soup at every meal if he could, so he suffers with a wife like me!  He has a lot of soups on the bhb's.  I haven't called a friend today, but a friend in Ontario (actually we met them through Jacqui) called this morning to discuss a cruise to Hawaii, and we had a nice chat.  Does that count?

We have been to Dubrovnik twice, both times with @sailingdutchy, who is a great organizer of tours, so I imagine he will come up with photos.  

People are still touching the food!  On Rotterdam in the Spring a lady was squeezing the rolls to pick the one she wanted as I waited; a server was watching too, and grabbed the tray as soon as she left.  So I didn't get a roll.  

The weather here has been unseasonably warm.  Going up to 12/13  (mid-50's in Fahrenheit) and my tender fuchsia is still trying to bloom.  We are threatened with colder weather in the new year, and I will stash it away in the garage, but for now it can stay outside.  We need a lot more rain, too, we are having dreary days, but just a few sprinkles.

Ann, please convey our condolences to Pat on the loss of his childhood friend.  I'm not surprised that people are still touching the food.  One thing I really like about HAL is they still serve most of the food behind protective shields.

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Good afternoon.... taking a quick break for lunch, then back to work. Took the dogs out to boarding together with all their stuff- their own blankies, food, and meds for Bandit. The owner gave me her personal email to I can keep in touch - she is there most of the time. They seemed happy enough to go in.  I think they get bored being at home with Mom. Did a quick stop at the bank and now I think the rest of my day will be concentrated on home and packing. Still have a list to work through.

Love the pictures of Dubrovnik.... don't think I will ever get there and it looks very interesting.

@richwmnthanks for posting the menus. I am going to have trouble keeping my weight under control... the choices look really good.

Susan

Susan, I'm glad the dogs seemed happy to be at their vacation home or what we called the Doggie Spa.  I think animals like humans benefit from a change from time to time.  Safe travels tomorrow.

25 minutes ago, dfish said:

My arrival time is 9:00 am.  Perfect!   I can get up at 6, drink coffee till 7, do my HIbiclens shower and head out.  I'm picking up DS Mary Jo at 8:30 and she will be there and drive me home.  I'm hoping to be home by mid afternoon.  

Debbie, that is good news.  It looks like the timing has worked out well for you.  I'm glad your sister will be with you and will bring you home.  It was interesting that when DH had the shunt placement, he would not be discharged unless I or someone he knew was there to drive him home.  Patients were not allowed to leave in a taxi, Uber, etc.  We'll be thinking of you and sending good thoughts for a successful day tomorrow.

19 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'm surprised you're allowed to drink coffee the morning of the procedure.

Roy

Roy, that seems to be a recent change.  DH could drink liquids until two hours before he had to be at the hospital for the shunt placement.  That was not the case for the two back surgeries last year.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Feeling a little more hopeful after hearing the eye doctor say that a little hydrocortisone cream on the skin, not the eye, is ok for short term. DH is feeling a LOT better and I’m feeling like a miracle occurred!  DH now has an appt Jan 16 with the allergist who works in conjunction with the eye doctor with the ENTs. Maybe we’ll learn more. I’m just so glad we’re out of that misery!  

Great time slot Debbie!  👏. Sounds like you have a solid plan. 

@kazu Hoping that pre-treating the driveway keeps it safe!  We had about 2-3 inches of rain!  

What happened to the Rotterdam?  Hope it’s resolved quickly. 
m—

• Like 16

Just a quick update.

I heard from my Doc.  He wants me to continue on the same dosage for the time being and see if the pain reduces on its own.  I have to go the Mayo Clinic for sugery for removal of two cancerous lesions on each leg.  At that time I will get another blood test and he will re evaluate whether to adjust the medication.

@dfish Debbie.  All the best for tomorrow.   🙏

Terri

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I'm surprised you're allowed to drink coffee the morning of the procedure.

Roy

Clear liquids are allowed these days.  Coffee counts if it is black.  I asked about that with my last knee replacement and was pleasantly surprised.  This is almost getting civilized.

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Yippee 👏. Great news Debbie.  👍. Sounds like it has all worked out - now we just need a safe, successful surgery 🙏 

I'm sure we will get that!

2 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

Oh yay, about the time!

Best of luck tomorrow in your procedure; hope you are pain free and it goes by quick!

Take care ☺

Caron

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Debbie prayers lifted for a successful surgery and fast recovery!

Joy

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, that is good news.  It looks like the timing has worked out well for you.  I'm glad your sister will be with you and will bring you home.  It was interesting that when DH had the shunt placement, he would not be discharged unless I or someone he knew was there to drive him home.  Patients were not allowed to leave in a taxi, Uber, etc.  We'll be thinking of you and sending good thoughts for a successful day tomorrow.

That is the rule.  I asked once what people who had no family or friends available did.  The assumption is that we are all a couple.  The same goes for holding on to your clothes and stuff.  The assumption is that family or friends would do it.  With my last knee replacement a friend drove me to the hospital, but he did not stay during the surgery.  The pre-op people were quite put out because they had to hang on to my things and with the CPAP, it was too much for the locker.  

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Roy, that seems to be a recent change.  DH could drink liquids until two hours before he had to be at the hospital for the shunt placement.  That was not the case for the two back surgeries last year.

It changed at the Cleveland Clinic in time for my knee replacement in January of 2020.  

Edited by dfish
  • Like 9

57 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Feeling a little more hopeful after hearing the eye doctor say that a little hydrocortisone cream on the skin, not the eye, is ok for short term. DH is feeling a LOT better and I’m feeling like a miracle occurred!  DH now has an appt Jan 16 with the allergist who works in conjunction with the eye doctor with the ENTs. Maybe we’ll learn more. I’m just so glad we’re out of that misery!  

@kazu Hoping that pre-treating the driveway keeps it safe!  We had about 2-3 inches of rain!  

m—

Good news on your DH's eye. I hope the hydrocortisone cream helps.   

42 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Just a quick update.

I heard from my Doc.  He wants me to continue on the same dosage for the time being and see if the pain reduces on its own.  I have to go the Mayo Clinic for sugery for removal of two cancerous lesions on each leg.  At that time I will get another blood test and he will re evaluate whether to adjust the medication.

Terri

Thank you, Terri.  I hope your pain lessens.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Niagarawine said:

Good morning to all the lovely people on this board. It’s raining and 8 degrees centigrade here in Hamilton, has been raining for three days straight. Prayers to all having surgery and treatments. Banging the phone down brought back memories to me. I used to be a switchboard operator here at Stelco, the place had 3200 extensions and I hated every minute of the job . However  I can still remember the area codes for most of USA and Canada after forty some years.

pits rather like being forced to take Latin for five years, comes in handy every once in a while when reading medicine labels.

think I need another cruise.

We led similar lives....2 years of Latin helped when I became an RN & 4 years as a phone operator for Pacific NW Bell.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RMLincoln said:

m—

Maureen, that is good news.  I hope the allergist can help too.

52 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Just a quick update.

Terri

Terri, I hope the pain reduces on it's own.

11 minutes ago, dfish said:

That is the rule.  I asked once what people who had no family or friends available did.  The assumption is that we are all a couple.  The same goes for holding on to your clothes and stuff.  The assumption is that family or friends would do it.  With my last knee replacement a friend drove me to the hospital, but he did not stay during the surgery.  The pre-op people were quite put out because they had to hang on to my things and with the CPAP, it was too much for the locker.  

It changed at the Cleveland Clinic in time for my knee replacement in January of 2020.  

Debbie, I guess it depends on where the surgery is and who is the surgeon.  With DH's back surgeries, the new rule didn't apply IIRC.  However, UTSW is a medical school and teaching hospital.

Lenda

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

We had a wonderful few hours with DD and the boys. It was bittersweet and I admit to getting teary-eyed. Going to miss them so much! I told the boys no more broken bones while we’re gone and to try not to grow TOO tall. 😉

The weather was ok although not as great as predicted. But they have a covered porch and we were comfortable. 

IMG_3284.thumb.jpeg.fd5cf0d7286a5d7ff0469b4414cad1c7.jpeg

• Like 19

Good evening, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  

We arrived home about 1.5 hours ago after a long, but very pleasant drive from Calgary.  The drive seemed like late spring or mid fall, rather than post Christmas, as there wasn't a hint of any snow from about 5 miles north of Calgary all the way home.  I think we made a good decision, waiting until today to return home, as according to the gas station where we stopped to fill up halfway home, yesterday was a mad house.  

We're home, having leftover ham sandwiches for our evening meal, and will leave all the suitcases and boxes to be unpacked tomorrow.  Tonight is for relaxing and getting to bed early.  We are both suffering from colds, so energy level is fairly low.  I might however, have a glass of wine to relax with before heading for bed in a couple of hours.

Oh, just a note on the weather - today Maple Creek, Saskatchewan (about 4 hours southwest of here) was warmer than Pensacola, Florida by 2 degrees.  Strange weather!

Prayers for everyone who is in need, with extra for @dfish for her surgery tomorrow.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 12

4 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good misty and foggy evening .

Today was the first day I was out of the house since Saturday. I feel much better and actually ate 3 meals today. 
Tommorow is back to the vet  for Houdini’s bloodwork.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

Glad you are feeling better and felt like eating.  Hope all goes well with Houdini at the vet tomorrow.

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good evening, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  

We arrived home about 1.5 hours ago after a long, but very pleasant drive from Calgary.  The drive seemed like late spring or mid fall, rather than post Christmas, as there wasn't a hint of any snow from about 5 miles north of Calgary all the way home.  I think we made a good decision, waiting until today to return home, as according to the gas station where we stopped to fill up halfway home, yesterday was a mad house.  

We're home, having leftover ham sandwiches for our evening meal, and will leave all the suitcases and boxes to be unpacked tomorrow.  Tonight is for relaxing and getting to bed early.  We are both suffering from colds, so energy level is fairly low.  I might however, have a glass of wine to relax with before heading for bed in a couple of hours.

Oh, just a note on the weather - today Maple Creek, Saskatchewan (about 4 hours southwest of here) was warmer than Pensacola, Florida by 2 degrees.  Strange weather!

Prayers for everyone who is in need, with extra for @dfish for her surgery tomorrow.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, I'm glad you made it home safely and without the normal snow.  I hope your colds are mild and short lived.

Lenda

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Glad to hear you are home safely but so sorry to hear about the colds you both have.  I hope they are short lived and you both can recover quickly and feel well soon.  🤞 

13 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Today was the first day I was out of the house since Saturday. I feel much better and actually ate 3 meals today. 

That is good news indeed. 👍 

14 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Just a quick update.

Best wishes for your lesion removals, Terri.  I hope your pain improves 🙏 

15 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

That is good news, Maureen.  Glad your DH is feeling much improved and hopefully the appointment with the allergist may help resolve matters 🤞 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3