Tender or dock?

gottacruisemore

Hi.

Cruising Pride on Sunday. I haven't cruised Carnival in a while, but I don't see the part on the itinerary where they show you which ports or docked/tendered.

Where can I find this info? I know Grand Cayman is usually tender and Cozumel is usually docked, but curious about Mahogany Bay and Belize. 

thx

Not your ports, but I don't know if you can definitively say a port is always a dock. What if there are more ships than there are docks at the port? We once were on an Eastern Mediterranean cruise and one of the ports was Corfu. There were 3 ships and 2 docks. We ended up having to tender in what is normally a dock port.

• Like 2

Mahogany Bay is a private port for Carnival and they control the schedule. In Cozumel the Carnival port can fill up and we have ported downtown as over flow, but it was scheduled to port downtown. Belize does not have a pier and is a tender as is the Caymans.

Does anyone know if the Belize or Grand tenders (aka water shuttles) are handicap accessible? Carnival says a definite 'maybe' here, but I also heard the same thing about Half Moon Cay and I was told on boarding that they would not allow my scooter on the tender.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Not your ports, but I don't know if you can definitively say a port is always a dock. What if there are more ships than there are docks at the port? We once were on an Eastern Mediterranean cruise and one of the ports was Corfu. There were 3 ships and 2 docks. We ended up having to tender in what is normally a dock port.

The same goes with Bermuda. While they have a dock, NCL & RCCL have port priority there. Depending on the ships in port, others have to tender. When we were in Bermuda, we had to tender using lifeboats from the ship. 

1 hour ago, Buckimion said:

Does anyone know if the Belize or Grand tenders (aka water shuttles) are handicap accessible? Carnival says a definite 'maybe' here, but I also heard the same thing about Half Moon Cay and I was told on boarding that they would not allow my scooter on the tender.

Been to both multiple time and never saw a scooter on the tenders at GC, but I have seen them in Belize.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckimion said:

Handicap accessible doesn't necessarily mean scooter accessible. As you discovered HMC requires wheelchairs, they recommend sand wheelchairs which you can rent from Carnival for the day because the sand on HMC is very soft and a regular wheelchair or scooter can't drive through it.

Grand Cayman should accommodate scooters no problem though. Not sure about Belize.

2 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Handicap accessible doesn't necessarily mean scooter accessible. As you discovered HMC requires wheelchairs, they recommend sand wheelchairs which you can rent from Carnival for the day because the sand on HMC is very soft and a regular wheelchair or scooter can't drive through it.

Funny thing was, my wife and I had reserved a cabana, and I had requested #1 from the excursions desk immediately on boarding specifically because it has a wheelchair ramp. I was told by the desk right then that I couldn't take the scooter on board, but luckily, I was still able to walk at the time. (Very painful and no longer possible. I'd also been told I could get wheelchair assist and none was made when we gathered to board the tender.) I had no intention of going "off-road" that day, but I've been in sand with my scooters before.

1 hour ago, teknoge3k said:

The same goes with Bermuda. While they have a dock, NCL & RCCL have port priority there. Depending on the ships in port, others have to tender. When we were in Bermuda, we had to tender using lifeboats from the ship. 

In our case 2 of the ships were HAL ships and I am not sure what line the other ships was. So, one of the HAL ships got picked to tender, and we were the unlucky ones. As a matter of fact, the seas were a little rough, and a passenger on our tender despite being helped by the staff fell hard landing on his elbow.