Favourite NCL meal?

seachelt

48 minutes ago, seachelt said:

Thanks for the helpful and interesting replies. Much appreciated. Happy New Year!

seachelt

Oh, heck no. This thread doesn't end with only 25 posts. 😄

5 ships, escargot and French onion soup at Le Bistro, every.single.time. The entrees are good too.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Cagney's: I've had all the appetizers.  All have been tasty.  My go-to meal is the Porterhouse.  Bring your appetite.  If you aren't up for that monster, I have to imagine the filet on its own would be well worth it. I order the lobster bisque every time, and every time I end up getting disappointed because I forgot how mediocre it was. Hoping I remember to try something different next time I go. My wife reports that the surf is turf is really good.

Le Bistro: I've had the lobster thermidor and the filet with foie gras.  I've never actually had foie gras before, but it was really good.  The lobster thermidor is amazing, but does come up with $25 upcharge.

Moderno: I usually try to taste all the meats, but you will want to request the grilled pineapple.  That may well be the best item available on the ship.

Beyond those restaurants, some other great meals:

-Any of the featured entrees at breakfast.  The pretzel roll sandwich is always yummy. The English breakfast at O'Sheahan's is worth a taste as well.

-The Monte Cristo.  It should be on the lunch menu for the first sea day, and I legitimately spend half the year looking forward to it.  If I could get the NCL Monte Cristo at a restaurant near my house, I'd be too poor to go on cruises and too chunky to fit in the door in the first place.

-I was on the Escape until yesterday, and the main dining rooms always had four Cagney options for a $25 upcharge.  I'm not sure if that is a regular thing now, but if it is, you may find it worth using a SDP meal at a different restaurant and just grabbing a Cagney steak from the main dining room.  

• Like 2

On 12/30/2023 at 12:49 AM, stefmaia said:

Le Bistro for snails. onion soup and the scallops. Yum

Moderno for salad bar , picanha and grilled pineapple

Teppanyaki for shrimp and insider tip- ask for udon noodles as well as rice

We don't eat rice. Do I ask the cook for Udon noodles at first??? This would be awesome.

On 12/30/2023 at 11:37 AM, Daruma said:

I'm not sure how accurate the information is, but there are several folks who've posted in various food/restaurant threads here that you can ask them to serve the filet WITHOUT the "frog grass" and avoid the $10 surcharge. 🤷‍♂️

I tried that on the Jewel last fall, but they wouldn't go for it. Had to pay the $10 and the filet wasn't good at all.

• Like 1

I really enjoy the salmon at LaCucina.  I’d take salmon over beef any day.  

we do cagneys for a small filet with yummy mushrooms, chocolate cake which is always way too rich to finish, but so yummy.

and la cucina for whatever sounds good, but mostly the salmon. 

My stomach likes simple. 

• Like 1

I know that many people enjoy the escargots and onion soup at Le Bistro.  I don’t.  I find the only flavor of the escargots is the garlic while mopping up the liquid with bread.  The soup is thin and the cheese wholly inadequate.  It doesn’t come close to crusting the rim of the bowl and it, too, is lacking in flavor.  I acknowledge that both are popular choices.

19 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

I know that many people enjoy the escargots and onion soup at Le Bistro.  I don’t.  I find the only flavor of the escargots is the garlic while mopping up the liquid with bread.  The soup is thin and the cheese wholly inadequate.  It doesn’t come close to crusting the rim of the bowl and it, too, is lacking in flavor.  I acknowledge that both are popular choices.

Well, perhaps. But…I will tell you, without a doubt, it’s better than what I get at home. Ouch…I’m the chef. 😊

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

I find the only flavor of the escargots is the garlic while mopping up the liquid with bread. 

You lost me there.

• Like 1

Food Republic is very good, and generally not crowded.  You can break your regular 8 items visit into 2 4 items visit.  As a couple if you order 2 mains and 2 appetizers, it will be enough for a good dinner, especially later in the cruise when you may want to eat a little less.  

Moderno, we found sitting nearer to the kitchen allows you first shot at anything that comes out, making it hotter.  We also like the salad bar on the BA+ ships. Pineapple is surprisingly good. 

Cagney's, you can also try the prime rib or pork chop.  Since they don't use any spices on their steaks, it can be sort of tasteless to me, and boring.  Stick with the filet (2 sizes) for a better beef option.  Crab cake was also good.

Le Bistro, of course the escargot. My scallops this last week were tiny.  If you like steak tartar then that is available.  The duck portions were good sized this time, and tasty.   My wife usually gets the fish option there.  The pork chop is great there as well.

• Like 1

Le bistro steak has been a miss for me, charged 10$ even with no foie; it just isnt tasty meat anymore. lobster thermidor has always been old and fishy; I try it every couple of years to see if improved and it hasnt. Sad since love veuve and not the lebistro menu.

lacucina for their filet, better tasting and best on ship lately also love their salads...

Agree MDR monte cristo sandwich at lunch and short rib paradelle pasta FAV dish on ncl...day 5, so look forward to that...

• Like 2

I don't know if this was unusual but I found the fettuccine Alfredo much better at The Local than it was at La Cucina.  This was on the Bliss.  In general, we are finding the specialty dining on NCL ships not nearly as good as it used to be.  I almost feel like it is not much of a perk anymore.

• Like 4

Love Moderno! The grilled pineapple is heavenly. Usually the Picanha sirlon is the star of the meats but I also like the bacon wrap chicken and pork belly. 

I've honestly never been that overwhelmed with Cagney's steak (the filet & foie gras in Le Bistro is better, IMO) but I ADORE the sides and soup. Winners for me are the French onion (better than Le Bistro) and lobster bisque with potato au gratin and sauteed garlic mushrooms. The OMG caramel cheesecake for dessert is also a must. 

For Le Bistro, I don't eat snails so the pan-seared scallops with cauliflower and truffles is my go-to starter. With the main, I actually prefer the braised lamb shank overall but as I noted above the filet & foie gras is probably the best steak on the ship. For dessert, they have a delicious fluffy vanilla &  raspberry meringue with crème anglaise that is a winner. 

Not a fan of La Cucina at all. Pretty much substandard Olive Garden. I am thrilled they are phasing it out with Onda but it looks like the Epic is still stuck with La Cucina. 

Teppanyaki is not what it once was but the show is fun. The grilled shrimp is my favorite but the steak is ho-hum. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ashlynkat said:

Not a fan of La Cucina at all. Pretty much substandard Olive Garden. I am thrilled they are phasing it out with Onda but it looks like the Epic is still stuck with La Cucina. 

Thank you!!!! I'm so glad someone finally agrees with me on this point. 

My favorite NCL meal - it has to be the double cut pork chop in the Haven Restaurant. It is just phenomenal when ordered medium. It's not something I order often when not on a cruise. Truly one of the best meals I've ever had...anywhere (and I give NCL a hard time for their food quality). 

image.thumb.jpeg.73a8820a0888e5ce0749526e833c196c.jpeg

I know this wasn't asked, but my all-time favorite appetizer on NCL are the Ranchero Beef Tostados (or something like that) served in the main dining room. Those little tiny tortilla chips, with a miniscule slice of beef, served with three strands of sliced lettuce, and a jalapeno are seriously good eats. Just be sure to order two (or more) portions. They're that good!

image.thumb.jpeg.28b569a6b84da02b3056648331805469.jpeg

• Like 3

My favorite "go to" meal every sailing is at Le Bistro.  I usually don't eat mushrooms, but absolutely love the mushroom soup they serve.  My main course is always the coq au vin and I ask for extra potatoes to be put in the dish.  It is simple but fantastic.  The cheese platter for dessert is very nice.

I agree with others regarding the grilled pineapple at Moderno.  The salad bar there is so good with so much variety.  The meats are secondary for me, but they will usually bring me some cuts medium well directly from the kitchen, as I don't like the typical medium rare selection.

• Like 1

MDR - I have a couple.  Shrimp and cheesy grits were pretty good.  The breaded flounder is fantastic. I'll have to try the Monte Cristo in a few weeks, if I remember.

Specialty - my go-to is Le Bistro.  French onion soup with dover sole.

• Like 2

No Ocean Blue love here?

Their bread is worth the specialty dining fee on its own. Cannot be beat.

But that blazing shrimp appetizer! I went back a second night and just ordered it as my main.