Any word on new Journey itineraries Fall of 2024?

Whitby100

I am wondering if anyone knows anything about the new Journey itineraries for late 2024.  My understanding is they have pulled cruises to Israel and may be sending her to North America.  Certainly they must be sending her somewhere?  We will be rebooking an August 2025 cruise and would like to add one for late 2024 so I’m reluctant to book anything without having this key information.  One would think these details would be forthcoming soon?  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip.  Prices do seem reasonable.  Interesting that they’ll be on the eastern seaboard during the tail end of hurricane season.  Lots to think about.

Just placed a hold on the Boston-Montreal voyage. Price is reasonable, it’s a new area for both of us, and we won’t have to use all our miles for transatlantic business class!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, maggie777 said:

Just booked Boston to Montreal, Montreal to Miami. Tempted to add RT Miami to Caribbean.  fares are good!

Look forward to cancellation ... violation of PVSA.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bigmjh said:

Look forward to cancellation ... violation of PVSA.

1 hour ago, marinaro44 said:

Explain

The combined cruise starts in Boston and ends in Miami – two different US ports, without a distant foreign port on the itinerary.  Either leg is fine, because they each start in one country and end in another.  The third leg might fix it – but I doubt that a Miami rt is going far enough away to hit a 'distant' foreign port under the law's definition.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The combined cruise starts in Boston and ends in Miami – two different US ports, without a distant foreign port on the itinerary.  Either leg is fine, because they each start in one country and end in another.  The third leg might fix it – but I doubt that a Miami rt is going far enough away to hit a 'distant' foreign port under the law's definition.

What do you recommend? I booked directly. If this is not an acceptable cruise I would like confirmation and would not want to pay a cancellation fee.

I have read in the past that cruise lines allow customers to book illegal b2b's like this, but later catch them and cancel one or both.  I would advise calling your booking agent and asking point blank about PVSA problems with this b2b.

Note:  the law is called the Passenger Vessel Services Act [I have to look it up every time to remember the right order and names!].  It's often confused with the Jones Act, which only applies to cargo vessels – but if the cruise line rep doesn't recognize PVSA try out 'Jones Act' and see if that rings a bell...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Melissaghoti said:

Would disembarking and reembarking in Montreal satisfy PVSA regulations?

Only if you stay overnight on land*, or transfer to a different ship.

* and I'm not sure if departing the first cruise a night early would count.  The government isn't trying to make this easy! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I have read in the past that cruise lines allow customers to book illegal b2b's like this, but later catch them and cancel one or both.  I would advise calling your booking agent and asking point blank about PVSA problems with this b2b.

Note:  the law is called the Passenger Vessel Services Act [I have to look it up every time to remember the right order and names!].  It's often confused with the Jones Act, which only applies to cargo vessels – but if the cruise line rep doesn't recognize PVSA try out 'Jones Act' and see if that rings a bell...

Thank you for your advice. I will follow up and report results.

5 hours ago, Whitby100 said:

Just curious as to what the rationale is behind this regulation?

It was supposed to preserve the US shipbuilding industry.  That failed.  And to maintain safety standards to we don't have overloaded ferries like some other parts of the world.  That worked.  And to preserve US maritime jobs.  That also failed.  So one out of three...

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I think this would be OK, but I'm not a real expert.  Since you start in Canada and end in Miami (one way or the other), it looks legal.

Should be fine.  Quest did a charter for an Aussie cruise agency that went from Montreal to New Orleans many years ago.  A few Americans stowed away and rode along.  No problem.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I think this would be OK, but I'm not a real expert.  Since you start in Canada and end in Miami (one way or the other), it looks legal.

Thanks for the input. Will call Azamara since I booked direct. Will also look at agency pricing.

On 1/12/2024 at 6:29 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Only if you stay overnight on land*, or transfer to a different ship.

* and I'm not sure if departing the first cruise a night early would count.  The government isn't trying to make this easy! 

Doesn't work. We actually ran into an almost identical situation a few years back. I booked a B2B - Boston > Quebec City and Quebec City to New York (with out TA). The first leg had an overnight in Quebec City. A few days after booking, the "powers" at the cruiseline cancelled the booking. I asked about the possibility of spending the night off the ship (taking luggage and all) and then re-boarding as a new passenger. Answer came back ... a big "NO". 

Either of these legs are perfectly legal by themselves ... but together they violate the PVSA (which, IMHO, needs to be updated or eliminated).

4 hours ago, maggie777 said:

Thanks for the input. Will call Azamara since I booked direct. Will also look at agency pricing.

maggie777 - A LOT of the lower tier Azamara phone agents won't be familiar with this restriction and you probably won't get accurate information ... be skeptical if you get a positive response.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1