Deadliest Catch Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour

tj_shopper

Is there any difference in booking this tour through our cruise ship or booking directly besides the price and the "guarantee" that the ship will wait for you if you're delayed?  Is there any difference in the tour experience, i.e. ship tour stays together in large group versus your own booking where you're in a smaller group?  Thanks.

I would book directly if the price is less.   We did this tour this past May ('23) and loved it.  I would suggest that you learn how to set up your phone camera to catch action shots (maybe 'sports' mode), so you can capture some great eagle shots.  The ship's galley offered Alaska King Crab (the type that they can still fish for).  If you want to try King Crab without going to a restaurant, this might be a good place to try it.

There is seating for everyone, and once you are on the boat you can move around, except when they are moving equipment and you are asked to take a seat.

Also, the boat offers blankets and rain gear if needed.  I used a blanket even though I was layered up for the weather.  It does get cold when the boat is moving.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tj_shopper said:

Is there any difference in booking this tour through our cruise ship or booking directly besides the price and the "guarantee" that the ship will wait for you if you're delayed?  Is there any difference in the tour experience, i.e. ship tour stays together in large group versus your own booking where you're in a smaller group?  Thanks.

When booking cruise ship shore-ex there is NO guarantee that the ship's Master will definitely wait, if a tour is delayed.

The Master will endeavour to delay departure, subject to operational requirements, which are numerous - berth availability, tugs (if reqd), pilots, line-handlers, wind, tide, speed required to next port, etc.

If the Master must depart, at best, the cruise line will pay the costs and make the arrangements for you to re-join at the next port.

• Like 1

Both private and ship-sponsored guests have a choice of seats.  As a hobby photographer, my favorite photo seat is above the life preserver and the far right seat for an unobstructed view of both fishing and eagle feeding.

P5236052-2-Edit.jpg.9cd6a69bc5aacb9f2d36a099bcbd33d9.jpg

M380341-Edit.jpg.e2c11142b5cfc7f561c586e9e1388b8c.jpg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2023 at 5:59 PM, Crew News said:

Both private and ship-sponsored guests have a choice of seats.  As a hobby photographer, my favorite photo seat is above the life preserver and the far right seat for an unobstructed view of both fishing and eagle feeding.

Thanks for the picture of the deck.  DW is doing this in upcoming season, the perspective is great.  Allows her to decide ahead where she hopes to sit!

• Like 2

I really want to take this excursion but it runs from 2:15 to 5:30 PM. If the boat is docking at 11 AM and leaves at 7 PM, does that realistically leave any time to see anything else in Ketchikan, like the totem pole park?

Totem Park is within walking distance (16 minutes) from the pier if you are docked downtown.  A taxi will be just a short three minutes.

I can only speak of my many Holland America Line cruises.  The time of docking is the time when passengers are allowed to leave the ship.  The ship will be approaching the pier much earlier if you want photographs.

Visiting Alaska is much like shopping in a candy store.  You can see what is available on your first visit, try a few things, and return again for more.

12 hours ago, SightCRR said:

This site will tell you where you are docking. Then you can search maps to see locations and distances to totem parks etc. If Ward Cove forget about totems due to long distance travel times. Cruise Ship Schedule Calendar Combined Ports (claalaska.com)

If you’re referring to Totem Bight, it is near Ward Cave.  Saxman is closer to downtown, and the Totem Heritage Center is on the free downtown shuttle bus line.

On 12/31/2023 at 5:59 PM, Crew News said:

P5236052-2-Edit.jpg.9cd6a69bc5aacb9f2d36a099bcbd33d9.jpg

M380341-Edit.jpg.e2c11142b5cfc7f561c586e9e1388b8c.jpg