One way Airfare from Barcelona to Minneapolis

We are going on a transatlantic cruise ending in Barcelona. I'm looking for a flight back and am surprised by one way fares from American quoting $3,600 on their website. I can find RT on American for around $1,000. Does anyone have insight into why the 1 way is so expensive?

19 minutes ago, smokeymtn51 said:

We are going on a transatlantic cruise ending in Barcelona. I'm looking for a flight back and am surprised by one way fares from American quoting $3,600 on their website. I can find RT on American for around $1,000. Does anyone have insight into why the 1 way is so expensive?

They always have a reason.  Maybe they want you to fly roundtrip.

Try another airline or even another city.  

Or depending on when you need to book, wait awhile.

Put your itinerary into Google Flights and add an alert so you are notified on fare changes.

Try doing a multi-city booking Minneaplolis to port and Barcelona to Minneapolis. If that doesn't work, book RT Barcelona to Minneapolis and back to BCN. The airline won't like that you aren't going back to Barcelona, but that works. 

2 hours ago, smokeymtn51 said:

Thanks. Hadn't thought about the RT booking.

Try the "multi-city" or open jaw first. It's a RT to and from different cities or countries. Have you used kayak.com or google Flights?

https://www.google.com/travel/flights?tfs=CBwQARoVEgoyMDI0LTAxLTE3agcIARIDTVNQGhUSCjIwMjQtMDEtMjFyBwgBEgNNU1BAAUgBcAGCAQsI____________AZgBAw&tfu=KgA

I could not help notice you only mention AA.  Why?  Use a good search engine (such as the ITA Matrix) and you will find one-way fares for under $1000.  For example, you can fly Aer Lingus to MNP with one-stop in Dublin for about $900.  And if you use Aer Lingus, you could even stop over in Dublin for a few days (no extra cost for air).  Untied has several options but are more money at about $1441.  And I am quoting one-way fares for May.  Prices will vary depending on the day you choose.  By the way, if you change your airport to Chicago (ORD) the price would drop to under $500 (one way) on TAP or a little over $500 on Aer Lingus.  We have really enjoyed using Aer Lingus (on some flights to and from Europe) because of the free stop-over scheme.  We have spent two extended trips enjoying Ireland, without having to pay any extra for air.

Depending on your cruise line, you might find they have even better air options (especially with CCL companies such as Seabourn, Princess, and HAL).

Hank

Its MSP. Details matter when you' book on your own. Otherwise I agree. I found TAP to be quite acceptable, although ORD has been a nightmare for Intl Arrivals, DUB I believe has Pre-Clearamce.

Posted (edited)
On 1/1/2024 at 3:17 AM, smokeymtn51 said:

I can find RT on American for around $1,000

As others have said, AA is unlikely to be the only carrier flying that routing.

There will be other airlines, probably including European ones such as Air France, KLM or BA, (Aer Lingus already mentioned) but that I do knot know for certain.

Try browsing a website such as Skyscanner or OPODO to learn what other options there might be, and once you know you can compare pricing.

Edited by edinburgher

Hi

Are you travelling in peak dates?

Is it compulsory to fly with American?

I have glanced and every two days you have 

BCN - MSP via Casablanca and Miami with Royal Air Maroc

or

BCN - MSP via Boston with Vueling (Iberia)

for less than 400 euro  in this month of January