Packing for a river cruise

Rocket1954

The only thing possibly different is that the dress code on river cruises seems to be more casual - so that might make it easier to decide what is not neccesary to bring.

PS you could try asking this in River Cruise forum, more regular river cruisers there.

• Like 2

I've never been on a river cruise, but my mom just returned from an American river trip -- and is going on another next year.  They had access to laundry, so she said next year she's going to pack 3 outfits in a carry-on and plan to do laundry.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kristelle said:

The only thing possibly different is that the dress code on river cruises seems to be more casual - so that might make it easier to decide what is not neccesary to bring.

PS you could try asking this in River Cruise forum, more regular river cruisers there.

We’re friendly over here on the river cruise board - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/115-river-cruising/

DW and I typically tour and dine in same type clothes on our river cruises. Long pants, maybe capris if warm and collared shirt, long or short sleeve depending on the season. Nothing fancy, although she often takes a nice top. We take sturdy walking shoes for touring and comfortable loafers for TSA and aboard ship. 

Some of the trans Atlantic flights are quite strict on size and weight of carryons, so observe the limits posted on the website. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rocket1954 said:

We booked an 8-day river cruise and want to try and  just uses our carry-on luggage. And suggestions, do's or don'ts?

Thanks 

rogercbowers@gmail.com

Figure out what clothes, etc. you will want to have with you, crank in your willingness to either do laundry and/or rewear unwashed clothes - and then use the size luggage which makes sense.  Remember that  it is always easier to travel with minimal luggage, while also remembering that staying home means having no luggage to worry about -  it is not rocket science: just do what makes sense to you.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Rocket1954 said:

We booked an 8-day river cruise and want to try and  just uses our carry-on luggage. And suggestions, do's or don'ts?

Thanks 

rogercbowers@gmail.com

Much is going to depend on where you are cruising too and the expected weather.  Noting that now "expected" weather is never the case.

Where are you cruising and when?

We just returned last night from a Rhine river cruise from Amsterdam to Basel, and it was 50F each day and rain, rain, rain.  This is not necessarily typical weather for these areas.

To pack properly you must look at where you are going, what the expected weather is and then pack for expected and unexpected.  For us we were in rain most every day.  Our shoes were wet, and we were always damp.

Edited by CDNPolar

My husband and I have used only carry-on luggage for both cruises (including river) and independent travel for almost 20 years.  I have a nylon travel line that is woven to function for hanging up hand-washed items. I also have a rubber drain plug that can be used to create a washing tub in the shower stall. If you bring clothes that dry easily and don't wrinkle, you can go forever.  We find it usually takes maybe one hour per cruise to do enough hand-wash to last the entire cruise. Also, don't forget, that especially on a river cruise, there are always cities nearby to buy something that you may not expect to need, like rain-coats, sweaters, etc. I still have a hoodie that I had to buy in Peru, as I never expected to encounter such cold days there.

• Like 1

We always try to travel carry on and it has worked so far - last trip was 35 days.  I am not a clothes horse - black capris, slacks and wrap skirt which I wear day or night, in travel friendly fabric.  5 tops, one lightweight sweater, rain jacket as a top layer if season appropriate.  We wear our walking shoes and I add black flats for evening and flat sandals.  I budget for laundry on board (ours was returned beautifully folded and wrapped in tissue) and will rinse tops and wear again if not soiled.  Our trip included a 12 night transatlantic, 6 days on land including train travel, and then 15 day river cruise.  We would spend the day in town, return to the ship and clean up for dinner usually putting on clean blouse, then wear that blouse again the next day for touring.  It can be done if you are comfortable with the limitations on having less stuff.

• Like 3