New York Cunard Hotels

Tony & Trevor

Can any fellow passengers tell me if they know what hotels Cunard use in New York.

I think the Knickerbocker was one and we stayed there once but it was rather noisy.

Thank you,

Kind regards,

Tony

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tony & Trevor said:

Can any fellow passengers tell me if they know what hotels Cunard use in New York.

I think the Knickerbocker was one and we stayed there once but it was rather noisy.

Thank you,

Kind regards,

Tony

A previous post, which hopefully will enable one to come to an informed decision to avoid booking Cunard Hotels.   Although it was for a Singapore Hotel, it can translate to New York.

In no doubt CC people will be their preferences for New York at all price points and better locations.

Quote start “From experience at the Fairmont being a Cunard offered Hotel

Cunard makes contracted price deals with Hotels for “freedom of Hotel” aka Junk Rooms. This  means your room is only booked 6/8 weeks prior to flight and the hotel will select the room.  Rooms confirmed at check in and will probably be worst lowest floor, with no decent view (over the entrance and view of concrete and traffic).  Any disputes, the Hotel will refer one back to Cunard, as Cunard made the booking.

Cunard charge a Rack Rate per person, but the Hotel charges per room.  
We had a Fairmont Gold Room bay view (with many benefits) for a few pounds more than Cunard quoted for a “Standard Room” aka Junk.  

Remember, Cunard charge per person, for two pax the single rate is doubled to equate to a “Room Price”

Also, a private car booked via Fairmont from Airport, then to Cruise, was only a little more than a multi-stop with diversions, Cunard 60 seater coach tour.

Sign up for Fairmont Membership prior to booking direct, as there may be an upgrade offered on a first visit..

There are NO upgrades allowed, even if payment offered at check in, for Cunard JunkRooms.” Quote ends

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Tony & Trevor said:

Thank you,

Kind regards,

Tony

Apologies.  The New York Cunard Hotel from web

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/cruise-and-stay/hotels

If wishing to stay there, if not already a member, best to sign up for Hilton Membership, as there are discounts and concessions available for members.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Thanks 1

The New York Hilton is a large, crowded, impersonal convention hotel. It has a good location and it offers the convenience of being in the Cunard cocoon. But there are many nicer, cheaper choices - and I’m not sure the included Cunard transfer makes the stay worth it. I stayed there once because it was included in the price of the cruise. I would never pay extra for it. But I know others disagree. 

1 minute ago, Patria21 said:

The New York Hilton is a large, crowded, impersonal convention hotel. It has a good location and it offers the convenience of being in the Cunard cocoon. But there are many nicer, cheaper choices - and I’m not sure the included Cunard transfer makes the stay worth it. I stayed there once because it was included in the price of the cruise. I would never pay extra for it. But I know others disagree. 

Oh, and just for some added context: I generally like Hilton hotels. Just not this one. 

• Like 1

They used to the Hilton Midtown by east 51st street when we went last time with them. Though they may have change it out. It is a nice little run to red hook down the FDR into Brooklyn.

Currently on the US website, Cunard is offering the following New York hotels as pre- and post-cruise add-ons for 2024 voyages.

Hilton Midtown

Marriott Marquis

The Knickerbocker

Marriott Brooklyn Bridge

I think this is the first time I've seen a Brooklyn hotel listed.

Can’t imagine you wouldn’t do better price wise booking your own hotel and getting a taxi to Red Hook. I personally love the Jane in the West Village, Captain’s. Quarters room overlooking the Hudson for about $250 a night.

4 hours ago, ace2542 said:

They used to the Hilton Midtown by east 51st street when we went last time with them. Though they may have change it out. It is a nice little run to red hook down the FDR into Brooklyn.

Hilton Midtown is on the West Side, 6th Ave and 53rd. The Hilton on the East Side is the Millennium Hilton UN Plaza. Definitely an easier trip to Brooklyn. 

I think Cunard is smart to offer a Brooklyn hotel. It's more convenient to the port. I know that a lot of people want a few days in NYC, but others just want to get to the ship conveniently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tony s said:

There is a Hilton across from WTC and a few blocks to ferry that goes right to Cunard pier. Many great eating and sightseeing options 

There isn't a branded Hilton that is close to the WTC, but there is a Conrad on the Hudson River side of WTC - and I would certainly rate it as a very good hotel, many rooms have stunning views. 460 bedrooms in all.  Bit of a hike from Pier 11 Wall Street though. There are 3 Hilton group hotels nearer to Pier 11:

Hilton Garden Inn NYC Financial Center (approx 250 rooms)

Hampton Inn Manhattan Financial District (approx 80 rooms)

DoubleTree NY Downtown (approx 400 rooms)

All three are less than half a mile from Pier 11 Wall Street. I haven't stayed in the Hampton, the DT is often good value, though has a somewhat disconcerting big art installation advertising the "Red Star Line". It's very close to the Cunard Building in Bowling Green. The HGI is in some ways better decor and more modern but it's usually more expensive. 

The Hilton Midtown is one of NYC largest hotels, just under 2,000 bedrooms and suites - there isn't a hotel that big in the UK. And that's excluding the Hilton Club, a hotel within a hotel.  So yes, it's a bit of a machine, but its big three advantages are location, location and location. It's not my favourite, but it's rarely full and there are certainly worse options.

• 2 months later...

We are traveling on Cunard in late August, NY to Southampton. We will be taking the Acela train from Boston to Penn Station the day before ship boarding.

I spoke to Cunard about a hotel reservation for the night before we board, and they gave me the same list quoted above - 

Hilton Midtown

Marriott Marquis

The Knickerbocker

Marriott Brooklyn Bridge

The Cunard rate is far above the non-Cunard rate. For example, the online rate for the Marriott Brooklyn is $384.  Cunard quoted us $700 (!)

We're thinking, why not simply take a cab/Uber from Penn Stat. to the Marriott Brooklyn, and benefit from the lower rate? We are not New Yorkers, so any advise much appreciated!

We spent an overnight stay at the Downtown Hampton Hilton before we left from the cruise terminal.Very good hotel for just a few hours, comfortable ,good breakfast, fabulous staff and not far to terminal with a phone call from the hotel for a car.And our Hilton Honors points.

12 hours ago, NE John said:

As someone working in NYC and lived in Brooklyn, Yes! Stay near the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and the Brooklyn Marriott. 

And staying in Brooklyn means you get a little trip in a Green outer borough taxi. I just might do that myself.