LIVE-Prima Feb 2-9, 2024 from Galveston-Western Caribbean with PICs, Haven (HE)

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Generally observing, every person on this cruise (with the exception of pre-schoolers…but even some of those) has an Android or iPhone. Many have a Chromebook or iPad of some sort.

Point being, using this technology should not be foreign to anyone.  Ordering from a tablet should not be confounding to anyone.

So, using their phones or tablets should not be an issues.  Moreover, it’s probably the most accurate way to plan and see what’s happening on the ship.

The dailies I post here will have little relevance for a cruise next month,  next summer, next fall, next year!

I am a 77 year  old widow-- I own NO electronic devices including a cell phone of any kind.  Even if I did, I would NEVER bring them on a cruise.  If I can not afford to lose something camera included it stays home.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, tsahall01 said:

It would be nice if all the ships had great TV set-ups like this!!  On the Jade, we couldn't even access our account--we had to do it on the app.  BTW, did dining have menus for the MDR?

Ditto, agreed ... it seemed I.T. onboard managed to roll out incremental features and enhanced the sub-menus on the interactive Samsung smart TV since last November, bravo 😁   We'll find out this April ... loading the restaurant menus certainly is a big step forward, as it is much easier inside some of the specialty restaurants over candlelight-like setting, where you can sometimes barely read the printed menu ... and had to switch on the "flashlight" mode on the iPhone/smartphone, LOL.  

BTW, Dan - what's being displayed on the ship's navigational channel b/c - we could barely see the minimum basic data while on the move, and sometimes not updated ... nothing about waves height, sea state, wind directions, etc. - instrumented data from bridge operations, unlike the Dawn/Jewel & "older" ships.  We're told that they're being upgraded and enhanced before ... sure, yeah, of course, but I'm 100% they are steering with just magnetic compass, slide rulers & paper charts upstairs & down in the engine control room over tin cans.   For 98% of the passengers onboard, these info aren't important and/or significant to them ... yours truly, among the exceptions ... first world problem, posting semi or live especially when conditions are adverse.  

@graphicguy - post #547 above  #cough #cough ... are you sure you wanted to post everything, your cabin number, steward's name & full name, etc. (privacy reasons)  That's the challenge of posting live on the go & busy, there's gotta a "Magic Eraser" Android equivalent functions within the photo/editing app on iOS/iPhone side.   Maybe, "page" a mod to edit/pull that post quickly.  

• Like 1

Just about anything you need to know will be on your cabin TV.

IMG_2844.jpeg

I don't remember seeing this on my last cruise March '22/Gem.   Did I miss it completely or is it new or not on all ships?

Hoping it's on the Getaway for our April trip.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Ditto, agreed ... it seemed I.T. onboard managed to roll out incremental features and enhanced the sub-menus on the interactive Samsung smart TV since last November, bravo 😁   We'll find out this April ... loading the restaurant menus certainly is a big step forward, as it is much easier inside some of the specialty restaurants over candlelight-like setting, where you can sometimes barely read the printed menu ... and had to switch on the "flashlight" mode on the iPhone/smartphone, LOL.  

BTW, Dan - what's being displayed on the ship's navigational channel b/c - we could barely see the minimum basic data while on the move, and sometimes not updated ... nothing about waves height, sea state, wind directions, etc. - instrumented data from bridge operations, unlike the Dawn/Jewel & "older" ships.  We're told that they're being upgraded and enhanced before ... sure, yeah, of course, but I'm 100% they are steering with just magnetic compass, slide rulers & paper charts upstairs & down in the engine control room over tin cans.   For 98% of the passengers onboard, these info aren't important and/or significant to them ... yours truly, among the exceptions ... first world problem, posting semi or live especially when conditions are adverse.  

@graphicguy - post #547 above  #cough #cough ... are you sure you wanted to post everything, your cabin number, steward's name & full name, etc. (privacy reasons)  That's the challenge of posting live on the go & busy, there's gotta a "Magic Eraser" Android equivalent functions within the photo/editing app on iOS/iPhone side.   Maybe, "page" a mod to edit/pull that post quickly.  

Too late now.  LOL!

I’m usually pretty good about catching great sort of stuff!  I have a cabin full of dirty and clean clothes.  No valuables as they are always carried on me.  If anyone wants to break in and wash my boxers, have at it!  LOL!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

This doesn’t include the Motown Revue, Comedy Club and the performers around the different bars on the ship!

Have you noticed the entertainment lacking like most have suggested?

Admittingly I am not huge on most of the show the DW is. I love the live music and the shows like Million dollar quartet or Jersey boys. Blue man was awesome too.

Just now, detroitlions said:

Have you noticed the entertainment lacking like most have suggested?

Admittingly I am not huge on most of the show the DW is. I love the live music and the shows like Million dollar quartet or Jersey boys. Blue man was awesome too.

I missed Donna, the theater show, but I was in Medical at the time!  It’s playing tonite and/or tomorrow again, though.  

I’ve caught 2 of the 4 shows in Syd’s, including Rumours.  Caught one comedy show last night.  Will be going to Price is Right theater show tonite.  They have a Motown band who’s excellent and a duo as well as a roaming guitar player/singer!

Lots of music on the ship, and all the performers I’ve seen have been excellent!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, UKstages said:

i have a slightly different view.

you are correct, of course, in that most people have smart phones (except for the three onboard the getaway i saw last week with flip phones), but a heck of a lot of them use them only to take and make calls. some know how to use email. some text. but not everybody. my dear departed mother had an iphone, which was a brick unless somebody called her... if she remembered to charge it at all. she didn't purchase an iphone, mind you, we bought it for her.

that's what i mean when i say they haven't fully embraced technology... they may have a smart phone, but using a touch screen or retrieving a PDF document or pinching and squeezing to enlarge a document is beyond their ken, or - for some - their arthritic hands.

there is also a matter of trust... certain members of a certain generation are inherently distrustful of electronic communication. it isn't "real" if they can't hold it in their hands. these are the same folks who get their bank statements and their quarterly investment statements via snail mail, rather than email. and insist on printing out their edocs, "just in case," even though you can pull them up on your phone or even just download a photo of the bar code, if you're concerned about cell or wifi service at the pier.

I agree with the OP I think to solve this they should have a hard copy somewhere on the ship you can grab that way the baby boomers and older that have the issues with tech can just grab a copy.

• Like 2

To those of us who have done the Cancun/Cozumel itineraries many times, while the beaches are beautiful, the ruins interesting, and the water clear aqua blue, we’ve done those plus the tourist traps.

However, this view never disappoints no matter how many times you see it!

IMG_2851.jpeg

IMG_2850.jpeg

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 9

10 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I missed Donna, the theater show, but I was in Medical at the time!  It’s playing tonite and/or tomorrow again, though.  

I’ve caught 2 of the 4 shows in Syd’s, including Rumours.  Caught one comedy show last night.  Will be going to Price is Right theater show tonite.  They have a Motown band who’s excellent and a duo as well as a roaming guitar player/singer!

Lots of music on the ship, and all the performers I’ve seen have been excellent!

Thank you this is great to hear on the music. We like chilling listening to music on the ship. By the way this is a great review I picked up last week  just caught up.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, detroitlions said:

I agree with the OP I think to solve this they should have a hard copy somewhere on the ship you can grab that way the baby boomers and older that have the issues with tech can just grab a copy.

You can.  They have them in and around Customer Service!

17 minutes ago, detroitlions said:

Thank you this is great to hear on the music. We like chilling listening to music on the ship. By the way this is a great review I picked up last week  just caught up.

I think you’ll hear people complain about the entertainment, when what they’re saying they don’t like the shows the ship has, already!  I get that.  There are shows I don’t like.  But, there is a variety of entertainment, for sure!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

I know Royal doesn't give you a planner unless you ask.  They want you to use the app but its not easy to find what you are looking for.  NCL's app has the exact same freestyle daily in digital form.  If you click on it, this is what it looks like. 

Preview attachment Attachment-1.pdf

• Like 1

The main reason why I want a paper version of the Daily is because I want to take a picture of the Port Agent information before I get off the ship. You know...just in case...😁

Edited by brookie848
  • Like 2

that is a great point! the e-daily is not available when off the ship. so if you're looking for the port agent's name and number or want to know what time an event is... there is no way to refer to the daily while off the ship, unless you carried a paper copy with you! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, www3traveler said:

I am a 77 year  old widow-- I own NO electronic devices including a cell phone of any kind.  Even if I did, I would NEVER bring them on a cruise.  If I can not afford to lose something camera included it stays home.

Respect your stance!  

How are you guys just get up or get off the ship  I should OK I agree the big old round ones. I love those you have a good cruise. I know I saw the stuff sitting on the bed you know you’re leaving soon and here come buy some more art I saw it’s almost over. I don’t know who still alive OK  tomorrow some of the ships I think he did the breakaway and get away Las Vegas. I didn’t know that But, have carried a cell phone a laptop and  numerous cables, memory devices etc since my working days in the 90s.  And, that tech replaced a large case full of papers I had to carry.

For good or ill, technology has woven itself into our ever day lives.  Personally, I welcomed it.  It all makes my life easier.  

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

How are you guys just get up or get off the ship  I should OK I agree the big old round ones. I love those you have a good cruise. I know I saw the stuff sitting on the bed you know you’re leaving soon and here come buy some more art I saw it’s almost over. I don’t know who still alive OK  tomorrow some of the ships I think he did the breakaway and get away Las Vegas. I didn’t know that But, have carried a cell phone a laptop and  numerous cables, memory devices etc since my working days in the 90s.  And, that tech replaced a large case full of papers I had to carry.

maybe I fell and hit my head...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Too late now.  LOL!

I’m usually pretty good about catching great sort of stuff!  I have a cabin full of dirty and clean clothes.  No valuables as they are always carried on me.  If anyone wants to break in and wash my boxers, have at it!  LOL!

If I had known your name and cabin number before you set sail, I would have sent flowers, champagne and a stripper to your cabin. Maybe next time...

• Haha 5

31 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

If I had known your name and cabin number before you set sail, I would have sent flowers, champagne and a stripper to your cabin. Maybe next time...

Next time!  😄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, detroitlions said:

Hey! This Millennial (and his younger husband) appreciate paper Freestyles and paper menus. I suppose I'll let you lump us in with our vaunted elders...but just this once! 

NCL don't get ideas! Keep the paper. Pleeeeeease!

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Glad you have had a nice cruise in spite of the tumble

Helpful to note that the doors are not all marked (and clear glass) going into the Haven--that the decks with the staterooms are solid doors

Re dailies-- one cruise line had a tear off with the daily so you weren't carrying the whole page, I think that was X

When we sail--I generally don't use my phone/email/text etc often and don't use the apps...as they didn't list events/menus etc

though if NCLs app is useful that may change.

At home I can have my laptop and cell both engaged in writing / surfing etc

On a ship I only use an ipad for reading books. As much time as I normally spend online etc--I would need unlimited streaming -- 

DH brings tech for potential work related things. 

Edited by Fogfog
  • Like 2

The waste management - environmental services team below pax deck will not be happy as some of their positions will be eliminated, crews released and/or re-trained and reassigned to other "important" duties ... in the pursuit spirit of "sail and sustain".  Shore suppliers won't be happy as fewer color/B&W toners, not to mention reams of assorted papers will no longer be needed.  Room stewards will be happier, on the other hand, as they will no longer be tasked with sorted out those garbage bins into different collection holds, and fewer items to be incinerated onboard while other waste remained bundled to transfer ashore for landfill disposals, etc. etc. 

I can already think of another money making idea for the benefits of NCLH shareholders but lips are sealed.  Some of the inserts are useful, IMO, as scrap papers ... before torn up and tossed into the round file bin (hey, NCL - maybe it is time to modernize to a split bin or triple sectionals - regular, recycled & glass/bottles, to simplify the housekeeping team's work; as many land-based hotels/resorts have been doing it abroad.)  Nevermind, just fix and update that NCL App itself first, consistently inconsistent ... across the fleet and while the programming team is at it, add the feature to "import" one's onboard reminders, i.e. shows & dining reservations booked AND the ability to cancel.  Those of us, digitally-proficient enough, can help shorten the lines at Guest Serives, Onboard Credit and CruiseNext ... ShorEx too if the functions are better integrated.  

BTW, that port side Infinity Beach, pool area below looks pretty busy, full ... facing the sun.  How about the opposite sun in the shade?  Just realized, ship is on EDT, all abroad coming up shorter ... then, it's homeward bound (minus, hopefully no pier runners left behind) - 7 days really go quickly.  

• Like 1