Selbourne ‘Live’ from Aurora’s 2024 Grand Tour

Selbourne

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Am I alone in thinking this is a seriously concerning development? Isn’t the temptation to downgrade the ‘ordinary’ MDR menus to persuade people to upgrade just too great for the bean counters? Meaning that what I’ve always found to be perfectly acceptable MDR menus are likely to become stripped down versions of their former selves?

I don't think so

I see it as a positive - more people having more opportunity to upgrade should they wish

Most speciality restaurants become sold out early on from my experience

There's clearly a demand for the higher end meals and that doesn't have to mean any lowering of MDR standards for normal menus

It's just more choice for all IMO

There's only so many times people will want fillet steak as well

It can't replace standard food more than a couple of times

And in any decent set menu restaurant in the land you will expect to see certain dishes with an extra price 

This is nothing revolutionary

It's still good for bean counters due to the fact plenty of people DO choose to elevate meals when given the chance

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks. That confirms my fears, because these would once have been standard MDR choices, albeit only occasional.

No chance

They might have very occasionally made a celebration night menu at a real push. 

Never standard choices

These are Epicurean level dishes for sure

Look at the accompaniments ?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

Firstly, continuing thanks to Selbourne for the reports and pictures.  Appreciated

Secondly, one of the biggest changes we’ve noticed, after 4 years away, is the use of *extra charge* restaurants.  Before the break there always seemed to be availability, indeed, waiting staff were often to be seen going round passenger spaces during the day drumming up trade for Epicurean or Sindhu

This must be connected with the relative reduction in overall cruise prices?  They *lure* people on, with low lead-ins, then rely on that holiday vibe to kick-in, and the “Yeah, let’s do it; we deserve it”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Never standard choices

Harry is totally correct.  I can assure you that items such as these were offered in the MDR, generally on the black tie formal nights.  Lobster thermidore was regularly offered on other days if the ship was calling somewhere with a special reputation for fish and impromptu items regularly appeared alongside themed dining in the MDR.

The "Celebration Night" concept is new, it didn't exist until around 2019.  The "Epicurean" is also a newish invention coming with Britannia at launching in 2015  with Ventura offering "The White Room and Azura 17. The venues rebranded shortly after Britannia launched the Epicurean.  These three restaurants were rarely full and there were often special deals to encourage booking.

Incidentally the "special" menu is inside the main dining room menu every night on Britannia. Before I succumbed to my lurgy I only met one couple, honeymooners and first time cruisers, who had bought it. Obviously uptake may have increased while I'm cabin bound.

• Like 6

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

Am I alone in thinking this is a seriously concerning development? Isn’t the temptation to downgrade the ‘ordinary’ MDR menus to persuade people to upgrade just too great for the bean counters? Meaning that what I’ve always found to be perfectly acceptable MDR menus are likely to become stripped down versions of their former selves?

I don’t think so, for three reasons. Firstly the menu never changes, so even those who try it are unlikely to do so more than once in a cruise. Secondly, having tried all 3 courses, whilst I didn’t rate the starter or dessert, the main course was excellent and far better than any main course I’ve had in any MDR, even before the menus were slimmed down. Finally, I agree with @zap99 that rather than pay £14.95 extra people are more likely to use a speciality restaurant where there is far greater choice. 

• Like 4

Just now, terrierjohn said:

It might be better for your wife if you request a shower chair which can be positioned nearer to the controls. We always request a chair which my wife uses at the wash basin, and for the shower.

She’s too unstable for those John. Any seat needs to be fixed. She’s managing OK but the controls are at maximum stretch. 

Just now, TigerB said:

Your clocks will go back another hour after you leave won't they, as you make your way to New Orleans?

We are currently 5 hours behind the UK and, yes, we go back another hour for New Orleans. We do two laps of the whole Caribbean and I think we might do a bit of back and forth by an hour during that time as well. 

• Like 2

Just now, Solent Richard said:

Or better still, show some consideration for both fellow guests and performing artistes and arrive before the show commences. 😈

Yes, I thought the same, especially as the ‘driver’ performed what must have been a 16 point turn as the incredibly loud beeping went on and on for quite some time during the performance!

I’m genuinely curious to know though, do these scooters have a volume adjustment for the reversing beepers? There’s one in particular on here that’s so loud it could wake the dead 😂 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Harry is totally correct.  I can assure you that items such as these were offered in the MDR, generally on the black tie formal nights.  Lobster thermidore was regularly offered on other days if the ship was calling somewhere with a special reputation for fish and impromptu items regularly appeared alongside themed dining in the MDR.

The "Celebration Night" concept is new, it didn't exist until around 2019.  The "Epicurean" is also a newish invention coming with Britannia at launching in 2015  with Ventura offering "The White Room and Azura 17. The venues rebranded shortly after Britannia launched the Epicurean.  These three restaurants were rarely full and there were often special deals to encourage booking.

Incidentally the "special" menu is inside the main dining room menu every night on Britannia. Before I succumbed to my lurgy I only met one couple, honeymooners and first time cruisers, who had bought it. Obviously uptake may have increased while I'm cabin bound.

I'm sorry you've been so unwell and hope you're soon over whatever it is.  I sensed it wasn't good when you said you weren't tackling them on those cancellation fees and the OBC - my wife's comment was: "That's another Radley bag"!

My concern about the add-on menu is more for the future than now, and the principle of the thing. Cruising used to be very much the original 'all-in' holiday and it's ceasing to be so. Ironic, given that all-inclusive holidays have become so popular in other travel sectors.  P&O will be gauging reaction to this, and bit by bit they'll reduce the choices on the main menu until you're more or less forced into the add-ons for anything worth eating. That's not the case now, but give it time. Those 'specials' were once regulars, and some of today's regulars will go the same way.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I'm sorry you've been so unwell and hope you're soon over whatever it is.  I sensed it wasn't good when you said you weren't tackling them on those cancellation fees and the OBC - my wife's comment was: "That's another Radley bag"!

My concern about the add-on menu is more for the future than now, and the principle of the thing. Cruising used to be very much the original 'all-in' holiday and it's ceasing to be so. Ironic, given that all-inclusive holidays have become so popular in other travel sectors.  P&O will be gauging reaction to this, and bit by bit they'll reduce the choices on the main menu until you're more or less forced into the add-ons for anything worth eating. That's not the case now, but give it time. Those 'specials' were once regulars, and some of today's regulars will go the same way.

Thank you for your kind thoughts which are much appreciated.  Whatever this "viral infection" is it's been pretty devastating and determined to hang on.  I see the doctor again this afternoon as the antibiotics run out today.  I just hope the next steps clear it up so I can fly comfortably on Saturday.  Unfortunately I've written this one off as one of these things that happen.  I understand there's been quite a lot of this mystery illness this season so perhaps it's a shoreside thing not a ship one.  

The Radley bag looks like it's going to be coming from the leftover OBC so that will be a result!

• Like 9

@Selbourne My electric chair has a reversing 'beep' and I cannot control the volume on it. It also beeps when first switched on. I am careful that I don't disturb people with it which can mean sitting through a performance when I would prefer to leave, but that's just the way it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

P&O will be gauging reaction to this, and bit by bit they'll reduce the choices on the main menu until you're more or less forced into the add-ons for anything worth eating.

On the basis that I think that I am about the only person on this forum who has tried this menu, and that was as much about being able to provide feedback on it as anything else, I don’t think it’s going to take off. Maybe it’s also telling that I haven’t ordered it again since.

Also, when it’s come up in conversation with other passengers, none has tried it. I wonder if the sudden big push on it is to give it one last shot before binning it. I’d put money on the fact that take up to date has been absolutely minimal. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I don't think so

I see it as a positive - more people having more opportunity to upgrade should they wish

Most speciality restaurants become sold out early on from my experience

There's clearly a demand for the higher end meals and that doesn't have to mean any lowering of MDR standards for normal menus

It's just more choice for all IMO

There's only so many times people will want fillet steak as well

It can't replace standard food more than a couple of times

And in any decent set menu restaurant in the land you will expect to see certain dishes with an extra price 

This is nothing revolutionary

It's still good for bean counters due to the fact plenty of people DO choose to elevate meals when given the chance

As long as it does not lead to a further lowering of standards, then I agree with you. However if this becomes popular then there will be a significant tempatation for the bean counters to add more and more of the regular items to the specials list and increase profits, leaving a "rag end" menu.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

I'd take it all with a pinch of salt.Oh hang on that's extra.

Reminiscent of the fabled Blackpool B&B signs of the 50's and 60's. Where the price was advertised but with the added phrase:- "Use of cruet 6d extra"

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

On the basis that I think that I am about the only person on this forum who has tried this menu, and that was as much about being able to provide feedback on it as anything else, I don’t think it’s going to take off. Maybe it’s also telling that I haven’t ordered it again since.

Also, when it’s come up in conversation with other passengers, none has tried it. I wonder if the sudden big push on it is to give it one last shot before binning it. I’d put money on the fact that take up to date has been absolutely minimal. 

I tried it on Aurora and enjoyed it one night when I really didn’t fancy anything else on the menu. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

It might depend on the ship and individuals. As I say the young couple we lunched with last week had had the full menu on day 2 and were intrigued as to why I wouldn't be trying it. Incidentally he was a chef and thought as a one off it was good but boring!

Yeah,ham and egg, would you like to enhance this traditional dish with our luxury oven chips for an extra 2 quid.All joking aside not that long ago on Princess when in Alaskan waters we had King crab legs and wild salmon in the MDR AND the buffet.Local dishes were never extra.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Yeah,ham and egg, would you like to enhance this traditional dish with our luxury oven chips for an extra 2 quid.All joking aside not that long ago on Princess when in Alaskan waters we had King crab legs and wild salmon in the MDR AND the buffet.Local dishes were never extra.

Precisely my concern. This has the hallmarks of a reassuringly thin Trojan wedge that could well transmogrify in time into a remarkably thick Trojan wedge.

Or horse, but that would be even more concerning……….

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Firstly, continuing thanks to Selbourne for the reports and pictures.  Appreciated

Secondly, one of the biggest changes we’ve noticed, after 4 years away, is the use of *extra charge* restaurants.  Before the break there always seemed to be availability, indeed, waiting staff were often to be seen going round passenger spaces during the day drumming up trade for Epicurean or Sindhu

This must be connected with the relative reduction in overall cruise prices?  They *lure* people on, with low lead-ins, then rely on that holiday vibe to kick-in, and the “Yeah, let’s do it; we deserve it”

One reason could also be that Epicurean and Sindhu can be prebooked. Another is that there could still be staff shortages, particularly of chefs with the required skills

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Todays MDR menus

IMG_1232.jpeg

IMG_1233.jpeg

We are on Arvia in April and we're thinking perhaps 6 visits to the MDR in 2 weeks. Thanks to your excellent blog we now think maybe 8 MDR's .

• Like 4