American Diner free??

Posted (edited)

I wonder if it's an upcoming change, my January cruise on the Breakaway still shows A la carte. But the website for the ship does show complimentary...the menu is not available right now though.

image.png.693b204a2045473e9e0df3cc27c2e358.png

Edited by KSSS2013
a

Posted (edited)

I've been on the Breakaway many times and it wasn't complimentary which is why I avoided it like the plague. But your screenshot is from the NCL website. I dont think NCL wants to take the risk of being accused of false advertising, so it's likely complimentary. Considering what's on the menu it should be. Can anyone currently on the Breakaway confirm?

Edited by OBSESSIVEWORLDTRAVELER
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

The NCL website is now showing American Diner as complimentary on ships that have one.

I suppose it had to come to this.  If they can't convince anyone to pay for a meal there, they might as well give it away.  We have eaten there perhaps four times in total over a span of ten or so cruises on ships which have one.  Almost every time we either were the only customer or maybe there were one or two others.  We never have paid for lunch there.  Usually Haven guests can eat there for free on embarkation day because the Haven restaurant usually is not open at that time.  On another occasion when we were not in the Haven, the GM took a shine to us and gave us a coupon for a free meal there.  I would say that the food is quite good, perhaps a cut above O'Sheehan's for burgers and hot dogs.  On at least one occasion we enjoyed lobster rolls there, not available anywhere else on the ship.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Sailing on the breakaway in October and i too noticed it:

image.png.73c2b0499445bafbc8e0410e3845a7be.png

The link is also working with a new menu here:

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/American-Diner-A_Mobile-Menu_010224.pdf

The new menu is completely different. It is now basic offerings

R.I.P. my favorite mozzarella sticks 😞 😞 😞

No more mozzarella sticks!   They were delicious.     Still hoping one day they bring them back to O'Sheehans.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Wow, such an unusual move for NCL.  Gotta love it!!

Still charging $7 for the milkshakes.  The new menu with meatloaf and other items looks good.  One extra free place to eat.  They must be up to something.  Probably about to raise the DSC an extra $5 per person per day on all of us.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

They must be up to something

IKR.  I was suspicious too.  Actually I have been waiting for this month to see what all they are changing on the F&B side, as well as entertainment.

• Like 3

I noticed a few of the items are exactly the same as at the Local.  (Wrangler burger, Cuban pork, Chicken salad sandwich.)

The only time the American Diner seems to be somewhat busy is first day for Haven lunch overflow.  While I would miss the Lobster roll sliders, I think it's a great idea to move this venue back to complimentary.  (Still mourning the loss of the old Flamingo Grill on the Getaway, and was it called Uptown Grill on Breakaway??)  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Showing up as complimentary on both our booked Encore cruises but as a la carte on our booked Joy cruise.   

Yes, same for us.  We are on Encore later in two weeks and it shows as complimentary on the app.  

(Our Joy cruise in the fall still says a la carte)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Yes, same for us.  We are on Encore later in two weeks and it shows as complimentary on the app.  

(Our Joy cruise in the fall still says a la carte)

I'm on Joy in April, still says a la carte, but when viewing the menu, no prices on the food, just $7 for the milkshake

• Like 1

don't know how long it has been the case, but it looks like the American Diner is now complimentary.  Guess I'll try it out on my next cruise since I never had before.  Any recommendations for what to try?  The pull pork sliders and the wrangler burger are both looking good to me

Interesting changing, suffice to say, by NCL for 2024 ... hmmm, why not, Déjà vu - almost as if they are re-introducing partially, restoring the old ... original O'Sheehan's All Day menu like meatload, with the new, although I seemed to recall mousse being around - taking away the vanilla ice cream option w the pound cake, often served semi-melting.  That's great for the outdoors on *Away ships sailing in warmer climate, weather-permitting to sit on the open/upper deck and things aren't rocking and rolling around.  

Call it O'Sheehan's 2.0 haha ??   Until they figure out what to do next by the next scheduled dry dock, a subtle acknowledgement that the paid concept for diner food wasn't working.  Cheers 😁

• Like 3