American Diner free??

7 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

In my experience, NCL has more options for breakfast than I remember any of the rccl ships I sailed on, although I don't remember Johnny Rockets having breakfast items.

Full buffet, dining room, Local/Osheehans and the small buffet at American Diner.

And we've frequented the American diner breakfast buffet probably 2 times on each of our last few sailings. It's a fine alternative with plenty to choose from.

I'm certainly happy to have it now be complimentary for the rest of the day too.

Johnny Rockets hot served breakfast items were on Oasis of the Seas when we last sailed RCL about 10 years ago.   They may have discontinued the breakfast items there by now.  At the time it was a great place to go for breakfast.

The times we have frequented the AD for their breakfast buffet it was more like what you get at the observation lounge.  Something limited ideal for on the go in a hurry type breakfast. Pastries, cereal, if you are lucky preheated breakfast burritos, that sort of thing.

Everyone likes something different.  While on a cruise we enjoy a relaxing sit down breakfast.  We find that a great way to start off our day.  

9 minutes ago, Daruma said:

Yes, there are Steakhouses, Italian restaurants, and Brazilian Steakhouses around me too... but I'll pay for them as a Speciality Restaurant... but pay extra for burgers, dogs, and mozzarella sticks? No way.

Mozzarella sticks (and milkshakes)…the only reason we went to American Diner. I've got a big ole specific finger for NCL making the menu change they did. I know most people (like 99.999999%) won't care at all, but my husband and I enjoyed stopping by American Diner for the mozzarella sticks and a milkshake midway through the cruise. We really enjoyed embarkation lunch at the location too. 

No more shrimp and grits. No more mozzarella sticks. 2024 is off to a really rocky start. Might need to throw those CruiseNext certificates on the open market. And yes, I know...white entitled fat man speaking here, but *waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa* 

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Mozzarella sticks (and milkshakes)…the only reason we went to American Diner. I've got a big ole specific finger for NCL making the menu change they did. I know most people (like 99.999999%) won't care at all, but my husband and I enjoyed stopping by American Diner for the mozzarella sticks and a milkshake midway through the cruise. We really enjoyed embarkation lunch at the location too. 

No more shrimp and grits. No more mozzarella sticks. 2024 is off to a really rocky start. Might need to throw those CruiseNext certificates on the open market. And yes, I know...white entitled fat man speaking here, but *waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa* 

I do love me some Mozzarella sticks believe me, my son too... whenever they're on a restaurant menu we order them, which is quite often, lol... and the reason I'd never waste a Speciality Restaurant chit for them.

I didn't take notice... will they no longer be part of the free menu? If so then that's stupid... not like they're a premium food like lobster 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Daruma said:

I do love me some Mozzarella sticks believe me, my son too... whenever they're on a restaurant menu we order them, which is quite often, lol... and the reason I'd never waste a Speciality Restaurant chit for them.

I didn't take notice... will they no longer be part of the free menu? If so then that's stupid... not like they're a premium food like lobster 🤷‍♂️

Haha, I know. I'm just being overly dramatic and I'm with you on not spending at specialty restaurants. In our case, the cheese sticks and milkshake are the only thing we would ever spend cash on. And that's because the quality is better than most restaurants we go to (and I'm not talking Applebee's haha). We might possibly have Costco sticks in our freezer at home right now...

There is another thread where the new menu was posted. No mozzarella sticks. No lobster roll (it wasn't that great, anyway). No shrimp and grits. The menu pretty much looks like The Local 2 ( a few different items, but very close). I'd assume close in quality too. 

EDIT - Here's a copy of the menu that was posted: https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/American-Diner-A_Mobile-Menu_010224.pdf

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Haha, I know. I'm just being overly dramatic and I'm with you on not spending at specialty restaurants. In our case, the cheese sticks and milkshake are the only thing we would ever spend cash on. And that's because the quality is better than most restaurants we go to (and I'm not talking Applebee's haha). We might possibly have Costco sticks in our freezer at home right now...

There is another thread where the new menu was posted. No mozzarella sticks. No lobster roll (it wasn't that great, anyway). No shrimp and grits. The menu pretty much looks like The Local 2 ( a few different items, but very close). I'd assume close in quality too. 

EDIT - Here's a copy of the menu that was posted: https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/American-Diner-A_Mobile-Menu_010224.pdf

Wow... thank you for that... mozz gone? *****? 

Now, hating seafood beyond all measurable levels of detestability... I'm not bothered by the loss of lobster or shrimp... but those, to me, are premium items and I understand taking them off a now free menu ... but removing mozzarella cheese and bread crumbs, lol.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

The times we have frequented the AD for their breakfast buffet it was more like what you get at the observation lounge.  Something limited ideal for on the go in a hurry type breakfast. Pastries, cereal, if you are lucky preheated breakfast burritos, that sort of thing.

Everyone likes something different.  While on a cruise we enjoy a relaxing sit down breakfast.  We find that a great way to start off our day.  

It's nothing like the OL!

We've frequented the small buffet breakfast at American Diner on 2 sailings of Joy, Escape and (I believe) Encore and it has offered the same items on all of them.

They have scrambled eggs, an omelette station (where they'll make eggs to order), breakfast sandwiches, waffles, bacon and sausage, cereal, fruit, etc.

Quite a bit more than the OL and a great alternative.

Not to mention that it's outside with some beautiful views (mostly).

It's great for people like us who get out to the pool area very early and don't like to leave our loungers for any extended period of time.

I look forward to it being another complimentary option throughout the day.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

It's nothing like the OL!

We've frequented the small buffet breakfast at American Diner on 2 sailings of Joy, Escape and (I believe) Encore and it has offered the same items on all of them.

They have scrambled eggs, an omelette station (where they'll make eggs to order), breakfast sandwiches, waffles, bacon and sausage, cereal, fruit, etc.

Quite a bit more than the OL and a great alternative.

Not to mention that it's outside with some beautiful views (mostly).

It's great for people like us who get out to the pool area very early and don't like to leave our loungers for any extended period of time.

I look forward to it being another complimentary option throughout the day.

OK you win.  TBH we have not tried the AD breakfast  in a long time.  Last time we tried it was some time ago. Everything was cold. Glad to hear it is better than it used to be.  We will have to give it a try.  Now that it has waffles and an omelette station and bacon and sausage it sounds much better.

Edited by seemoreroyals
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I am right with you!    I loved those mozzarella sticks.   

My husband will be wanting to check out the chicken pot pie now along with some of the other new items.  Me, not so much.   I still say bring back the mozzarella sticks to O'Sheehans.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

I was thinking this might have me trying it on my cruise, but then I remembered how so many people said the burgers at The Local were better than at American Diner...

I would bet they will use the same burger patties that they use at the Local now.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

ahhh man, they had shrimp and grits????  now that would have been nice to keep

4 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

ahhh man, they had shrimp and grits????  now that would have been nice to keep

The hell ya say... are ye daft man? 😂🤣

9 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

ahhh man, they had shrimp and grits????

Unless the MDR menus have changed it's on one of the 21 menus.  I don't recall which one and it got the seal of approval from a Georgia Boy on my last cruise.  I think that was Cajun shrimp and cheesy grits though...

59 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

I would bet they will use the same burger patties that they use at the Local now.  

Quite possibly.  I had the same burger on my 2022 cruise on the Joy and my 2023 cruise on the Escape, the Escape one wasn't all that great while the Joy one rivaled anything I get from a great local pub.

• Like 1

Here are the "old" 2017-2018  O'Sheehan's Breakfast and All Day Menus (Halloween "Escape" to Bermuda) ... rather lengthy with nearly something for almost everyone - restored these archives from the home server ... slightly different than the "original" menus on the 2014 Breakaway (if and when I find them) i.e. the Chicken Pot Pie, all time favorite of mine as comfort food or the loaded Chef's Salad.  

Times are changing, but those were the good old days, actually not that long ago ... a short 5 to 6 years only ... for visuals, pix of our casual OSH meal as ordered.  

IMG_2017M-OS04.thumb.jpg.aabdfd94601f829187f5a398b46ae8bc.jpg

IMG_2017M-OSH01.thumb.jpg.43bd57b3877ffabf56bb453827af4444.jpg

IMG_2017M-OSH02.thumb.jpg.cbabdf0ab898d54030fd38fc86dc58b3.jpg

IMG_2017M-OSH03.thumb.jpg.bb5dd0d149864bebf68eb41186b66233.jpg

Collage2017-02-2821_16_18.thumb.jpg.9109117c4842d2635c903d9aca08a94e.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I do hope they keep their shakes, as they are/were quite good!

I will be on the Escape this Saturday. Hoping menu does not change yet! We always eat there embarkation day as it is always pretty quiet. Almost everyone that eats there first day is Haven guests as its free. 

• Like 1

If for no others reason than to help spread out diners among under utilized venues and take the load off the overwhelmed buffet, I am all for this change. I will miss those mozzarella sticks though.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Here are the "old" 2017-2018  O'Sheehan's Breakfast and All Day Menus (Halloween "Escape" to Bermuda) ... rather lengthy with nearly something for almost everyone - restored these archives from the home server ... slightly different than the "original" menus on the 2014 Breakaway (if and when I find them) i.e. the Chicken Pot Pie, all time favorite of mine as comfort food or the loaded Chef's Salad.  

Times are changing, but those were the good old days, actually not that long ago ... a short 5 to 6 years only ... for visuals, pix of our casual OSH meal as ordered.  

IMG_2017M-OS04.thumb.jpg.aabdfd94601f829187f5a398b46ae8bc.jpg

IMG_2017M-OSH01.thumb.jpg.43bd57b3877ffabf56bb453827af4444.jpg

IMG_2017M-OSH02.thumb.jpg.cbabdf0ab898d54030fd38fc86dc58b3.jpg

IMG_2017M-OSH03.thumb.jpg.bb5dd0d149864bebf68eb41186b66233.jpg

Collage2017-02-2821_16_18.thumb.jpg.9109117c4842d2635c903d9aca08a94e.jpg

The chipotle chicken sandwich was delicious.   I was disappointed when it left the menu after the restart.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, logan25 said:

I will be looking for reports of any menu changes.  Do you really expect lobster roll sliders will remain complimentary?  I don’t.

Not a chance. NCL. No Complimentary Lobster.

• Haha 6