Has anyone booked 2 rooms with the same person in both?

Hi - we had an unanticipated issue when booking rooms for our upcoming cruise.  Long story but my question is has anyone put themselves in two separate rooms on the same cruise so they have extra space for instance putting a 3rd and 4th person in a 4 person Haven room as you’d all want to get the Haven benefits and booking another non-haven room a few doors down for more space.   

My PCC at NCL states we can do this but a TA friend of mine said she’s never heard of that and I can’t find any information to confirm if this is possible online.

I did have someone on facebook confirm they have been able to do this but am looking to see if anyone on here has successfully done this and how does that look when I check in, do I check in for both rooms during embarkation?  

If you have successfully done this, can you tell me was there a meaningful additional cost?  We’re you able to get the applicable perks twice - such as dining, each room that person would be getting 2D, so can they use 4D (2 from each room?)

Thanks

I once booked 2 rooms but the intent was just to make the reservations and use my CNs to make deposits on both cabins.  It worked but we also changed the names on the 2nd reservation as soon as the reservation was booked. I was told by my PCC that the system would eventually find the duplication and cancel one of the reservations.

5 hours ago, cruisinforfun9 said:

Hi - we had an unanticipated issue when booking rooms for our upcoming cruise.  Long story but my question is has anyone put themselves in two separate rooms on the same cruise so they have extra space for instance putting a 3rd and 4th person in a 4 person Haven room as you’d all want to get the Haven benefits and booking another non-haven room a few doors down for more space.   

My PCC at NCL states we can do this but a TA friend of mine said she’s never heard of that and I can’t find any information to confirm if this is possible online.

I did have someone on facebook confirm they have been able to do this but am looking to see if anyone on here has successfully done this and how does that look when I check in, do I check in for both rooms during embarkation?  

If you have successfully done this, can you tell me was there a meaningful additional cost?  We’re you able to get the applicable perks twice - such as dining, each room that person would be getting 2D, so can they use 4D (2 from each room?)

Thanks

Did I understand your plan?

You want to book a whole extra cabin in order to get Haven benefits for 2 people.

That means paying for a 2 person rate.

That does not sound very economical. It's cheaper than 2 Haven cabins but quite pricey.

This has been talked about for years but not recently.  From reliable sources here, people could do that maybe ten years or so ago but they put a stop to it.

One poster was a regular at doing that but then it ended.

What ship as maybe we can give best options but off the cuff I'd just book a 2br haven.

What generally happens is that a person might initially be able to do it (especially if a travel agent is involved) but at some point, the system will catch the attempt. NCL will give the option to cancel one of the 2 bookings. Either the Haven 3/4 will be removed or the non-Haven 1/2 will be cancelled. Unfortunately, if the double-booking is caught after final payment, the cancellation penalty will still apply. 

Looking at it from another point of view, if it was easy to do, more people would do it. The cost for Haven guests 3-6 is miniscule compared to the cost of 1&2 in the same suite. Someone booked in an interior or ocean view stateroom would gladly pay a small fee to "add" Haven benefits by being guest 3-6 (on paper) in a friend's suite. The additional guests could enjoy everything Haven but could disappear at night to sleep in their own stateroom outside of the Haven. 

If people want the Haven, they should book the Haven.

If people want to take a chance at bidding, book something else and hope to win the Haven via bid or upgrade.

If people want the Haven while booked in a non-Haven stateroom and hope to leech off of an actual Haven guest, they shouldn't. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

One interesting thing that I've learned from Cruise Critic is just how often Haven guests seem to cruise with non-Haven guests.

One interesting thing that I've learned from Cruise Critic is just how often Haven guests want to extend Haven privileges to non-Haven friends.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Did I understand your plan?

You want to book a whole extra cabin in order to get Haven benefits for 2 people.

That means paying for a 2 person rate.

That does not sound very economical. It's cheaper than 2 Haven cabins but quite pricey.

Yes. The PCC says it happens, people book 2 rooms for extra space.  And no it’s not economical but my situation is a little more complicated than simply doing this for Haven perks but yes, in essence we need (to ensure availability to support my parents in all aspects of this cruise) for the whole group to be in the Haven and given the unfortunate incident during booking, there are no Haven rooms for the 2nd group.   We were prepared to pay for the 2nd Haven room so this option isn’t more expensive, we just don’t get the nicer room (which we don’t care much about).  

12 hours ago, dexddd said:

This has been talked about for years but not recently.  From reliable sources here, people could do that maybe ten years or so ago but they put a stop to it.

One poster was a regular at doing that but then it ended.

What ship as maybe we can give best options but off the cuff I'd just book a 2br haven.

Thank you for this.. unfortunately that is the issue, there is no 2nd Haven room anymore, it disappeared while I was in the process of booking my parents room - even though there were 2 when I started.  My parents would have never agreed to do this cruise with us if we all weren’t in the Haven.  We booked after final payment date so had to pay in full during booking.  

NCL VIVA 3/24/24.. we just booked last week so well within the final payment.  I can hold out that a Haven room would become available but I’ve been watching several times a day and not one has opened on any of the cruises between now and end of March when the ship repositions. 

15 hours ago, cruisinforfun9 said:

Thank you for this.. unfortunately that is the issue, there is no 2nd Haven room anymore, it disappeared while I was in the process of booking my parents room - even though there were 2 when I started.  My parents would have never agreed to do this cruise with us if we all weren’t in the Haven.  We booked after final payment date so had to pay in full during booking.  

NCL VIVA 3/24/24.. we just booked last week so well within the final payment.  I can hold out that a Haven room would become available but I’ve been watching several times a day and not one has opened on any of the cruises between now and end of March when the ship repositions. 

Definitely watch the NCL site. Haven rooms do come available every so often. 

Have you called NCL to see if a Haven room is available? It's possible (though very unlikely) one is available, but not listed on the site. You could also ask them if there are any blocks on rooms that would become available if not sold (some agents may not have this info). But, it's worth asking. 

Good luck! I wouldn't have agreed to a cruise without the Haven either, so I definitely understand your parent's feelings.

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Definitely watch the NCL site. Haven rooms do come available every so often. 

Have you called NCL to see if a Haven room is available? It's possible (though very unlikely) one is available, but not listed on the site. You could also ask them if there are any blocks on rooms that would become available if not sold (some agents may not have this info). But, it's worth asking. 

Good luck! I wouldn't have agreed to a cruise without the Haven either, so I definitely understand your parent's feelings.

thank you so much for your suggestions!!!  I am working with NCL, I called them the morning after trying to book nearly in tears trying to figure out where the 2 rooms that were available went to.. but I've come to terms and I suppose saving $4K is not a bad thing :).  The PCC that answered that morning has been lovely to work with, he's watching from his end daily too for openings.   

• Like 1