What is going on with the Voyager

20 hours ago, TheRampantSnail said:

I knew there would be some pushback on this. How dare I criticize Regent.

My point, if you bother to read my original post carefully is not that they changed the itinerary but that the timings and the lack of any communication give me cause for concern.

If you read MY post you'll see I didn't comment on you "criticizing" Regent, I said you shouldn't accuse them of committing a crime.  And I did "bother" to read your post.  You said " Regent have been very devious and, I suspect, mis-selling the cruise."  CLEARLY stating that they are purposefully committing fraud.  I don't care if you criticize, go for it.  But to actually accuse anyone of purposefully committing a crime is uncalled for.  So if you are going to challenge me to "read your post," perhaps you should be sure to read MY post. 

Perhaps you found my comment "If you were offered a full refund, why are you making both an issue of the itinerary change and a baseless accusation?  What more, than a full refund, do you want."  Maybe... but still wondering... if you get a full refund, why are you complaining?  They changed the itinerary,. you were able to cancel for  a full refund... what's the problem?  

28 minutes ago, TheRampantSnail said:

You clearly choose to misrepresent my comments and cannot understand why I make an issue of what has happened.

I think other people do understand so I say no more.

I understand.

• Like 2

I think I have to side with papaflamingo on this one (not that there are only two 'sides', but you get my drift).  It did sound a bit like TheRampantSnail was accusing Regent of potentially illegal behavio(u)r when in fact it doesn't look like they're guilty of anything more than poor communication and possibly an overly tight refund policy.

Not sure about the UK but I believe at least in the US the booking contract specifically mentions the possibility of itinerary changes.  We've been on the receiving end of some pretty drastic re-routes, some we've cancelled, some we've accepted.  It's the nature of the game.

And while it's true that I'm a pretty vocal Regent supporter (some might say cheerleader), I, too, have criticized Regent in the past for lack of communication regarding changes and cancellations.  But to be honest, I really don't think Regent is any better or worse than any other cruise line...and if you find a line that you DO feel is better than Regent, by all means sail with that line.  Vote with your wallet.

It really is that simple.

• Like 2

Oh, and by the way - the title of this thread is also misleading - there's nothing 'going on with the Voyager' - there's something going on with Regent not communicating an itinerary change.

Nothing wrong with the ship as the title leads you to believe.  I clicked on this thread solely because I'm sailing on Voyager next month and thought there was a problem with the ship.  Seems like a bait-and-switch to me...

13 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Oh, and by the way - the title of this thread is also misleading - there's nothing 'going on with the Voyager' - there's something going on with Regent not communicating an itinerary change.

Nothing wrong with the ship as the title leads you to believe.  I clicked on this thread solely because I'm sailing on Voyager next month and thought there was a problem with the ship.  Seems like a bait-and-switch to me...

Just more drama and First World problems...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Pcardad said:

Just more drama and First World problems...

Eh, it wouldn't be Cruise Critic without drama and First World problems, now would it?  😄

I usually just scan through threads like this and move on...but really, I'd like to know of one luxury cruise line - or any cruise line, really - that hasn't had itinerary changes and/or communication problems and/or disgruntled customers.  I daresay there are none.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Eh, it wouldn't be Cruise Critic without drama and First World problems, now would it?  😄

I usually just scan through threads like this and move on...but really, I'd like to know of one luxury cruise line - or any cruise line, really - that hasn't had itinerary changes and/or communication problems and/or disgruntled customers.  I daresay there are none.

There are none - I work with them all. Where I spend my own money should indicate my preferences.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

If you read MY post you'll see I didn't comment on you "criticizing" Regent, I said you shouldn't accuse them of committing a crime.  And I did "bother" to read your post.  You said " Regent have been very devious and, I suspect, mis-selling the cruise."  CLEARLY stating that they are purposefully committing fraud.  I don't care if you criticize, go for it.  But to actually accuse anyone of purposefully committing a crime is uncalled for.  So if you are going to challenge me to "read your post," perhaps you should be sure to read MY post. 

Perhaps you found my comment "If you were offered a full refund, why are you making both an issue of the itinerary change and a baseless accusation?  What more, than a full refund, do you want."  Maybe... but still wondering... if you get a full refund, why are you complaining?  They changed the itinerary,. you were able to cancel for  a full refund... what's the problem?  

It is very clear to me that you have misrepresented what The Rampant Snail has said. The poster said "I suspect". "Suspect" means "to have an idea or impression of the existence, presence or truth of (something) without certain proof". You say the poster has "accused" someone of "purposefully committing fraud." The two are quite different. You should apologise.

• Like 2

I really enjoy Regent and will continue to do so.  But, if I was booked on a cruise that changed so drastically, I would be very disappointed too.  I know I know - terms of contract, blah, blah, blah.  But the poster has every reason to be upset.  So far, none of my booked cruises have been changed and I feel fortunate.  Port intensive is a great idea - if it is sold as a port intensive cruise.  This one was not.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Sir Humphrey said:

It is very clear to me that you have misrepresented what The Rampant Snail has said. The poster said "I suspect". "Suspect" means "to have an idea or impression of the existence, presence or truth of (something) without certain proof". You say the poster has "accused" someone of "purposefully committing fraud." The two are quite different. You should apologise.

You know, I was going to point out that the definition of "accuse" is "claim that (someone) has done something wrong."   And that the poster did state that "Regent have been very devious" is definitely an accusation and adding  "I suspect, mis-selling the cruise" would also fall under the definition of a "claim" of wrong doing.  But heck.... since you say I'm wrong and "owe an apology," well ok then, here I go.

I officially apologize for interpreting "Regent have been very devious and, I suspect, mis-selling the cruise" as an accusation of wrong doing as opposed to a mere "suspicion"  with "no evidence" of a wrong doing.  

My bad. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Haha 5

• 1 month later...

Time for the lawyers to show up, debate "suspect", "accuse" and other definitions and save the day.  And of course we can have a tutorial on the contract language in both the US and UK.  In the US you won't get anywhere in court as you have agreed to arbitration in likely Miami, Florida.

REGENT SPLENDOR

Here is another topic which deals with cancelled ports.  I would just note a lot of this is about basic customer communication which seems to be less than perfect.  And cancelling a port in the middle of a sailing with no substitution is one thing and cancelling ports and replacing them with other ports is another.  I am sure that there are other posters who know a lot more about this than I do but setting up a port call is not something I think is done on 24 hour notice.  You have to make sure that their is a pier or that you can use a tender and then there are all of the logistics of getting provisions to the ship and people on and off the ship etc.  So, they know well in advance of announcing a port change that it is being undertaken.  They probably don't want to share all of that until they have things locked down but they do know in advance.

3 hours ago, H2O Polo Willie said:

REGENT SPLENDOR

Here is another topic which deals with cancelled ports.  I would just note a lot of this is about basic customer communication which seems to be less than perfect.  And cancelling a port in the middle of a sailing with no substitution is one thing and cancelling ports and replacing them with other ports is another.  I am sure that there are other posters who know a lot more about this than I do but setting up a port call is not something I think is done on 24 hour notice.  You have to make sure that their is a pier or that you can use a tender and then there are all of the logistics of getting provisions to the ship and people on and off the ship etc.  So, they know well in advance of announcing a port change that it is being undertaken.  They probably don't want to share all of that until they have things locked down but they do know in advance.

No argument from me but I will say it only takes a short time to see if a port is available and to book it vs. booking early enough to make sure you have a guaranteed spot. 

On 2/19/2024 at 4:25 PM, H2O Polo Willie said:

REGENT SPLENDOR

2 points:

Ships have lifeboats that are used as tenders, so no need to find local tenders

It’s harder to get provisions to the ship from a canceled port, than from a quickly substituted port.

29 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

2 points:

Ships have lifeboats that are used as tenders, so no need to find local tenders

It’s harder to get provisions to the ship from a canceled port, than from a quickly substituted port.

It’s rare but we have experienced a few ports that required the use of local tenders instead of the ship’s tenders. My memory is that one of these ports was in French Polynesia.

Dave

1 minute ago, DaveFr said:

It’s rare but we have experienced a few ports that required the use of local tenders instead of the ship’s tenders. My memory is that one of these ports was in French Polynesia.

Dave

Santorini is another one. We have also used local tenders at times when the distance to shore was long and the local tenders were faster and/or could hold more people.

We had local tenders come aside of Voyager in Ko Samui, but our captain thought it was too dangerous for us to go aboard. We didn't agree since we had done worse on the small tenders of Paul Gauguin in the Marquessas.  But instead of going ashore, we had to sit for 6 hours off the shore of Ko Samui, bouncing up and down while officials came aboard from one of the large local tenders and cleared the ship. I suspect it would have taken much less time to clear us if the passengers had been going ashore to spend money in the port.

We also had to use local tenders in some of the small ports on the South coast of Peurto Rico when we were on Sea Dream. At the first port, they sent a dive boat to pick up passengers. The first person in line to disembark was a very elderly woman who shuffled rather than walk. She had to be lifted by the crew to board the dive boat. When they tried to disembark at the dock, she fell and was injured. Unfortunately for the rest of us, our shore excursion was cancelled at that port and the next 2 stops were cancelled. And even worse, she was treated at the local walk-in clinic, and brought back to our ship. After that, she fell near the pool, but still went in and bled in the water, causing the pool to be drained and disinfected.

In some places, there are no other ports available that can be quickly booked. But I guess Regent is solving that problem with its port intensive cruises where there are only a few large ports on each cruise. Having seen the ports being used for those cruises, we don't plan to book any more Regent cruises, and hope our upcoming cruise will not be affected by that any more than it has. We cruise to see other parts of the world by going ashore, and large commercial ports, and those far from anything interesting don't work for us.