Aboard Serenity Jan 5-18: Renewing the Adventure

gmarsh

1 minute ago, ryndam said:

Choice is good. We’re dining in Tastes tonight. Menu attached. However, we may need a pre-dinner Waterside mushroom soup diversion….

Rob

DEF528FB-2FD2-436C-9B4A-7EE5E2B93340.pdf 1.56 MB · 0 downloads

The OP on this thread reported returning to Waterside after the show for dessert, so I don't see why your dinner can't be a progressive dinner!!

Patty

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kool kruiser said:

I know this is a real ''oddball'' question but are the Waterside menus still available to look at on the Cove bar ?

Thanks

Colin

Yes, they have a tv with the menus by the Waterside entrance.   I haven’t seen hard copies at the bar.

As first time Crystal cruisers we are in heaven! We have the most beautiful cabin with colors of the ocean and more storage than we have ever had on a ship. Love the "Bubbles up" wall hanging! (Jimmy Buffet reference😊)

The ship is sparkling clean and gorgeous. And the crew...wow is all I can say! All that I have read about them is accurate.

We love the food...so many choices and all good. We ate at Umi Uma last night and it has been our least favorite meal but still good but we aren't adventurous eaters.

Last night's Billy Joel show was simply amazing. Best show we have ever seen on a ship. People were really getting into it which makes me wonder why they don't have more music like this in the bars and venues.

This brings me to our only complaint... the lack of fun music to listen to and dance to especially before and after dinner. Today was our best day by the pool because the duo actually sang upbeat music from 50's - more recent. We so enjoyed it. I am all for having music for the wonderful ball dancers but if Crystal wants to attract a different group they need to offer more of a variety of music.

We were invited to dinner with Hubert the hotel director on our last formal night. He was such a fascinating man. We really enjoyed it and were honored to eat with him.

We are also so happy they are showing the national championship game in Palm Court tonight. It's going to be a fun night.

I think we are starting to feel like Crystal family.💜

• Like 9

9 hours ago, ryndam said:

Choice is good. We’re dining in Tastes tonight. Menu attached. However, we may need a pre-dinner Waterside mushroom soup diversion…

Crystal’s a great place to do a progressive dinner…👍

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Amber14 said:

I am all for having music for the wonderful ball dancers but if Crystal wants to attract a different group they need to offer more of a variety of music.

Baby boomers are aging and thus cruisers' average age is increasing accordingly.  Most cruise lines seem to be walking a thin line between offering music that their older loyal customers enjoy, and newer music that may interest younger cruisers. Virgin Voyages seemingly make little effort to offer music for an aging population, preferring to address the interests of a younger crowd.

As someone who is looking for a new cruise line to move toward, and someone who is not particularly interested in decades old music, it seems that Crystal may not be a place that meets my music interests.  That said, it doesn't mean that we wouldn't consider Crystal, it's just that it seems to be firmly walking on the side of the line that addresses its older customers' musical interests. Please correct me if I'm off on this, as there seems to be so much else to like about Crystal.

Edited by moto_italia
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ryndam said:

Today’s snack tray.

IMG_8909.jpeg

I'm curious as to how high of a suite one must book to receive the snack tray.  It would be wasted on me as I rarely eat anything in the room. 

1 hour ago, History&Wine said:

I'm curious as to how high of a suite one must book to receive the snack tray.  It would be wasted on me as I rarely eat anything in the room. 

Aquamarine and up.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, moto_italia said:

As someone who is looking for a new cruise line to move toward, and someone who is not particularly interested in decades old music, it seems that Crystal may not be a place that meets my music interests.  

Choice is good. Even Billy Joel’s music is approaching 50 years old. Beatles even older. If current musical selections, bands, entertainment , etc. are important determination for cruise selection, Crystal is currently ensconced in the mid 20th century. One should make their holiday plans accordingly.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, moto_italia said:

As someone who is looking for a new cruise line to move toward, and someone who is not particularly interested in decades old music, it seems that Crystal may not be a place that meets my music interests.  That said, it doesn't mean that we wouldn't consider Crystal, it's just that it seems to be firmly walking on the side of the line that addresses its older customers' musical interests. Please correct me if I'm off on this, as there seems to be so much else to like about Crystal.

I appreciate your sentiments. I don’t like to listen to Frank Sinatra and I’m in my 70’s (although I didn’t like him in my 20’s either). I put up with the mid-century music schlock because I do like the great cuisine and enrichment lectures and all-inclusiveness. And the promenade deck. It’s a trade-off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bayonejoe said:

Doesn’t look very appetizing to me .

We always tell our butler to skip the pre dinner appetizer for us.

But it is nice for those who enjoy this offering.Bon Appetite 

Agree! Not very appetizing and insulting for a 5* line.  One of our few complaints was the poor quality and poor selection of the afternoon canapés.  The tray in the post was one of the better ones and certainly not like the OC.  I eventually told the butler to skip it.  It was one of my very few negative comments on the post-cruise survey.

5 hours ago, moto_italia said:

Baby boomers are aging and thus cruisers' average age is increasing accordingly.  Most cruise lines seem to be walking a thin line between offering music that their older loyal customers enjoy, and newer music that may interest younger cruisers. Virgin Voyages seemingly make little effort to offer music for an aging population, preferring to address the interests of a younger crowd.

Not sure your tastes in music. 

What I can say is that over the last few years under old Crystal and new Crystal that the music has changed. For example, before dinner used to be a pianist in the lounge near the main restaurant doing several sets at three or more times. Now you might find a pianist doing one time, a guitarist and vocalist at another time and then an electric type of violinist with keyboard.  There is a DJ who plays each night but sometimes is playing where the pianist used to play.  

At the same time as mentioned you have a Bill Joel show on Serenity and Elton John show on Symphony.  

And yes you will have traditional music too some of which is to dance too.

You won't have all current music if that is what you are looking for.  By the way I like current music (used it teaching classes at the fitness center) but yes demographics do play a role in all of this.

What I can definitely say is under the direction of the VP of Entertainment the entertainment including mix of music continues to evolve.  People on land and at sea don't alway like change as we know so well so I think his approach has been wise to evolve it overtime and not at once. 

Full disclosure I do still like The Beatles music. While most of it is from the 1960's they did have a new hit song from just a few months ago.  🤣 

Keith

• Like 3

Day 5:  Charlotte-Amelie, USVI…

According to Google we just ran aground by the Marriot.  Terribly sorry old chap🛟.

We’re off to tour a rum distillery thing today.

Not sure what else the day has in store for us, however, there is a good chance of a cheeze burger.

Over to you Mr. Rob, for the restaurant report🥂.

IMG_1397.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ryndam said:

600 pax? Or, 6000 pax?

Choice is good. What’s your choice? (Not a poll survey….)

Rob

IMG_8904.jpeg

IMG_8927.jpeg

IMG_8930.jpeg

IMG_8931.jpeg

Built for 700million euro.

20 decks

4500 pax

1500 crew

170,000 Gross tons

1000ft long

🤢