Clam Shell cabanas at Great Stirrup Cay

First time cruising on NCL. We’re doing the Encore Feb 25 2024. We have seen all kinds of videos of Great Stirrup Cay on U tube. My question is how much are those Clam Shell Cabanas. Also can they be booked on the app or when getting on the ship ahead of time. Do you book them when you arrive at the island. All we see are the fancy cabanas. 

3 hours ago, Sam & Soph said:

First time cruising on NCL. We’re doing the Encore Feb 25 2024. We have seen all kinds of videos of Great Stirrup Cay on U tube. My question is how much are those Clam Shell Cabanas. Also can they be booked on the app or when getting on the ship ahead of time. Do you book them when you arrive at the island. All we see are the fancy cabanas. 

Easiest place is on a touch screen kiosk in public elevator lobbies once you are on the ship. 

I think that they were $45 or $49. 

Umbrellas are $9. 

Hot sun is free. 

The clam shells at the center of the main beach are in the back row. Convent to bars, restrooms, and food. 

The clam shells along the rock breakwater to the right on the beach have clamshells in the front row by the water. 

Yoir clam shell voucher give you priority tendering. Get on a tender any time you want. BUT,,, first come first serve for clam shells on the island. 

When selecting a clam shell, pick one with the meshed vent to prevent you from being a baked clam. 

Have a great cruise. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, hallux said:

You book them as an excursion for the port stop.  They should be listed in the app, but if they're sold out you won't see them.

Don't they hold back s certain percent of them for booking on board?

3 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

🤷‍♂️ I've been to GSC once and didn't try to get one...

4 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

They are only available onboard. 

For other, regular excursions, There are no shore excursions “held back for booking onboard”. Once sold out in advance, they are gone. You can only hope someone cancels at the last minute. 

When we were at Great Stirrup Cay back in September, 2022 (sooooo long ago), clam shells were $45. Not sure if the price has gone up. We reserved once we got onshore, but we went with the umbrella as we wanted air circulation. 

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

For other, regular excursions, There are no shore excursions “held back for booking onboard”. Once sold out in advance, they are gone. You can only hope someone cancels at the last minute. 

Wrong again, they are available pre cruise like any excursion

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

When selecting a clam shell, pick one with the meshed vent to prevent you from being a baked clam. 

Our experience was getting baked, even though we had a mesh clam shell. The problem was the mesh was on top and the sun came directly in. Not ideal if you want a clam shell for shade.

Umbrellas? Can we rent those and how much?

not interested in a clam shell, as my friend is a sun worshipper!

I need shade, I’m supposed to stay out of the sun if I can

thank you!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Thank you.  I thought that was the way but I had heard that they changed it recently.  Fake news!  🙂

Well thank you for all the information but other then price I guess we will have to play it by ear. I did check shore excursions from the very beginning and never saw the clam shells offered but after great comments we are probably going to just get an umbrella. Now🤨 It’s a guess on the umbrellas. 🙂🙏👍

2 hours ago, jelomu said:

Umbrellas? Can we rent those and how much?

not interested in a clam shell, as my friend is a sun worshipper!

I need shade, I’m supposed to stay out of the sun if I can

thank you!!

$9

8 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Our experience was getting baked, even though we had a mesh clam shell. The problem was the mesh was on top and the sun came directly in. Not ideal if you want a clam shell for shade.

Yes. You can flip the clam over so the vent is in the back. Or you can ask the clam attendant flip it for you.