Live from 35 nights on Ventura, what have I done?

This Freedom dining is odd. I actually thought about having fixed dining and having a table for two for my cruises this year but you can’t guarantee a table for two can you? Plus we’d choose 6.30 and as we’re going on Aurora I expect it will be booked up. Then my Britannia one I’ve only just booked so I probably wouldn’t get first sitting either!

17 hours ago, TigerB said:

Thanks for the report; I'm glad you found time to chill.

Was that salmon on a waffle? Is so, was it a sweet waffle or a potato waffle.  🎶Birdseye potato waffles, they're waffley versatile🎶  (Sorry, I couldn't resist, but you are welcome to that ear worm!🤭)

Anyway, they don't have that on Iona; nor do they have either of the desserts you both had.

Jumper tomorrow?🥶

The only Birdseye song I remember is 🎶 Birdseye peas, sweet as the moment, sweet as the moment when the pod went pop 🎶 - I suspect you won’t know that one being a relative young ‘un 😉, and if you do, you’re welcome 😄

The salmon came on a ‘plank’. I didn’t examine it closely but assume it to be wood. Here’s how it arrived at the table, wrapped in a paper parcel (I’ve done this myself in the past, meant to retain moisture). The red sauce was too spicy for my liking but DH enjoyed it with his chicken tenders.

PXL_20240131_210355024_Original.thumb.jpeg.8051a81ba6967d0c2910795b71cba94a.jpeg

We did have the carrot cake this afternoon with coffee, and it was surprisingly good; a cream cheese type topping, which I like, rather than a heavy icing, which I don’t.

One of our best meals at The Beach House, although as I’ve previously said, we like this venue and the attentive staff. An oasis of calm compared with the MDR.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

This Freedom dining is odd. I actually thought about having fixed dining and having a table for two for my cruises this year but you can’t guarantee a table for two can you? Plus we’d choose 6.30 and as we’re going on Aurora I expect it will be booked up. Then my Britannia one I’ve only just booked so I probably wouldn’t get first sitting either!

That’s my dilemma too. No guarantee of a table for two even on fixed. Today at lunchtime, and unprompted by me, another couple at our table for eight were lamenting on the fact that you can never get a table for two …… well, some people can! I realise the option is there to take a pager, but we don’t want to dine late either, so go with the lesser of the two evils.

There just are not many tables for two on Ventura and they fill up fast. Maybe not such an issue on other P&O ships. Certainly on Iona we had no trouble getting one at all. Good luck getting what you want on your upcoming cruises 🤞

• Like 3

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

What is your question?

On freedom dining you can choose when to dine, and you can request a table for 2, but you might have to wait for one to become available.

Thursday, 1st February and @TigerB, yes far more jumpers and cardigans to be seen around the ship, although there are still plenty dressed as though we are still in the Caribbean! Not me though, I’ve possessed a good supply of cardies (and cosy slippers) most of my adult life. Alluring or what? 😂

This morning both guest speakers in the theatre were excellent yet again. The medical lawyer, Chris Martin, gave a fascinating insight into his world of litigation and he was followed by Robert Daws who is just so entertaining and funny, with tales from his busy acting career - and he can sing too. Alas today was his third and final talk, despite staying with the ship until Southampton.

To more mundane matters. Yet again today three out of the six mid ship lifts were out of action at lunchtime and one of the forward lifts. One of the two lamps above our bathroom sink has failed after flickering for days (lamp man came, lamp man left - two days ago). On reporting it to reception I was given an immediate apology and ‘ … we don’t have any lamps to replace it with …..’.  Needless to say (engineer) mrgoggins has had quite a bit to say about the maintenance issues 🫢.  

I know there’s at least one person interested in Horizon for a long cruise, so as previously promised, here’s todays:

IMG_0120.thumb.jpeg.85df5208b5e877d53252c2df320711d7.jpeg

IMG_0121.thumb.jpeg.db746e07d2af44d01a7d064c7c02f935.jpeg

IMG_0122.thumb.jpeg.d2435c06ddb300f08139df9e5e407f19.jpeg

IMG_0123.thumb.jpeg.50a7420b0734fc1dd471a1e29b1bd3a4.jpeg

IMG_0124.thumb.jpeg.73984a9f00bc6a6ef2fe10f5a2910b36.jpeg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

The only Birdseye song I remember is 🎶 Birdseye peas, sweet as the moment, sweet as the moment when the pod went pop 🎶 - I suspect you won’t know that one being a relative young ‘un 😉, and if you do, you’re welcome 😄

The salmon came on a ‘plank’. I didn’t examine it closely but assume it to be wood. Here’s how it arrived at the table, wrapped in a paper parcel (I’ve done this myself in the past, meant to retain moisture). The red sauce was too spicy for my liking but DH enjoyed it with his chicken tenders.

PXL_20240131_210355024_Original.thumb.jpeg.8051a81ba6967d0c2910795b71cba94a.jpeg

We did have the carrot cake this afternoon with coffee, and it was surprisingly good; a cream cheese type topping, which I like, rather than a heavy icing, which I don’t.

One of our best meals at The Beach House, although as I’ve previously said, we like this venue and the attentive staff. An oasis of calm compared with the MDR.

So, a piece of salmon, a dip, a spoon full of coleslaw, and a little bit of salad?  The salmon did look nice, but I would be expected something more. Maybe, that just me though!🐷🤭

Wasn't it Patsy Kensit in that Bird's Eye pea advert?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, TigerB said:

So, a piece of salmon, a dip, a spoon full of coleslaw, and a little bit of salad?  The salmon did look nice, but I would be expected something more. Maybe, that just me though!🐷🤭

Wasn't it Patsy Kensit in that Bird's Eye pea advert?  

Wasn't she the sweet little girl in one of the early Fairy liquid advert, "hands that do dishes........"

If it's the one from 1964 John, that was Leslie Ash.

Thanks for querying that though; in an attempt to find the answer on t'internet I have now entered a rabbit hole of advertising nostalgia!🙄

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, TigerB said:

If it's the one from 1964 John, that was Leslie Ash.

Thanks for querying that though; in an attempt to find the answer on t'internet I have now entered a rabbit hole of advertising nostalgia!🙄

My pleasure!!😇👍

• Haha 3

@mrsgoggins I see that they are still running 'vocal workshops'. Do you happen to know whether these are more like the pre-covid passenger choir? I participated in the 'workshops' on Iona last year and found them a waste of time and was hoping there would have been a return to passenger choirs, at least on the smaller ships.

Must admit we didn't like the Beach House Menu on our Caribbean cruise - it was a special menu and everything seemed to have chilli in it or other strong spices ! Even some of the desserts ! Why they have changed it, no idea -- perhaps just a few Caribbean specialities, not the whole lot !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Slugsta said:

@mrsgoggins I see that they are still running 'vocal workshops'. Do you happen to know whether these are more like the pre-covid passenger choir? I participated in the 'workshops' on Iona last year and found them a waste of time and was hoping there would have been a return to passenger choirs, at least on the smaller ships.

I don't know much about the choir, pre-covid or now (although I did consider joining but the time of the sessions put me off). However, I was on a large table at lunch a few days ago with 2 women and the husband of 1 of them who did attend. I was interested and they all seemed quite enthusiastic about the choir. I was told about 100 attended with sopranos to the right and altos to the left. The man said that a few women were with the men.

The ship's orchestra pianist was accompanying them and was obviously popular. They had had a change of members of the ship's singers leading them. 

I hope that helps.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Must admit we didn't like the Beach House Menu on our Caribbean cruise - it was a special menu and everything seemed to have chilli in it or other strong spices ! Even some of the desserts ! Why they have changed it, no idea -- perhaps just a few Caribbean specialities, not the whole lot !

As I love spicy food I  am much keener on the Beach House these days. Some of the MDR stuff is sooo bland.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Clodia said:

As I love spicy food I  am much keener on the Beach House these days. Some of the MDR stuff is sooo bland.

I am more than happy for spicy stuff on the menu but when it is all spicy it means I have no choice at all. Surely they can half a 50:50 menu.

Re the MDR am not sure as I thought I saw something spicy? 

3 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

I don't know much about the choir, pre-covid or now (although I did consider joining but the time of the sessions put me off). However, I was on a large table at lunch a few days ago with 2 women and the husband of 1 of them who did attend. I was interested and they all seemed quite enthusiastic about the choir. I was told about 100 attended with sopranos to the right and altos to the left. The man said that a few women were with the men.

The ship's orchestra pianist was accompanying them and was obviously popular. They had had a change of members of the ship's singers leading them. 

I hope that helps.

Thank you. That, along with Selbourne's comment about the current choir on Aurora, is reassuring.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Presto2 said:

I am more than happy for spicy stuff on the menu but when it is all spicy it means I have no choice at all. Surely they can half a 50:50 menu.

Re the MDR am not sure as I thought I saw something spicy? 

I think that the Beach House was intended to have a Caribbean/Mexican vibe to its food, and that's why most of dishes are highly seasoned and spicy.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

I think that the Beach House was intended to have a Caribbean/Mexican vibe to its food, and that's why most of dishes are highly seasoned and spicy.

It's usually fine in the Med. and European cruises but this was a specific menu for the Caribbean.  Never had a problem before and have been there lots in the past. 

Saturday, 3rd February - part 1

Praia da Vitória, Terceira island, in the Azores was our final port of call, and I expect to be in a small minority here when I say it was our favourite port of call. We go to the Caribbean in January primarily for the weather. This island is beautiful and suited us far more in so many ways; and the temperature reached a pleasant 20C, which was a bonus.

I had the beginnings of a cough and sore throat developing overnight and so did not feel like making a move to take the shuttle bus into the town but I encouraged DH to do so.  He came back really enthusiastic and said it was like turning the clock back 50 years. When we took our tour in the afternoon, I could see what he meant.

The coaches were once again modern and comfortable. Our tour guide did not speak flawless English by her own admission, but could be understood, by me at least, DH not so much. Our tour, South Island sights, was a leisurely one, although could include a guided walk should you choose. It included 2 scenic viewpoint stops, before a 1-hour stop at charming Angra centre.

The first 10 minute photo stop was at a patchwork of fields. Alas, just as we pulled up, the clouds rolled in at some speed, and so with apologies to @Selbourne, I quickly took a photo from my seat inside the bus before it disappeared altogether!

PXL_20240203_144632707_Original.thumb.jpeg.b086f0faca20c57a6e4ce73b70caffef.jpeg

We were more fortunate at our next stop. Given the island’s strategic position in mid Atlantic, it has an interesting history. The British were there during the Second World War, and after they left, the Americans moved in, along with their families and built a huge base on the island. There are still Americans at the base now, but my understanding was that it is vastly reduced. They had a great impact on the island, providing jobs for locals and having their own TV and radio stations. The locals could obtain an annual pass to visit parts of the base for €50, and our guide used to go to play bowling, eat American food etc.

PXL_20240203_154802015_Original.thumb.jpeg.e70ba0369405d7c88a3781030ebd4ebd.jpeg

PXL_20240203_154651949_Original.thumb.jpeg.0bf1523471237ef3947b247cbf268227.jpeg

PXL_20240203_154908355_Original.thumb.jpeg.df912406d282cbb2762146c1a713d0a8.jpeg

Our main stop was the town of Agra on the south coast. We first of all made our way down Straight Street where Vasco da Gama has his back to the sea. Apparently this street is the hub for local festivals. ‘Bull runs’ are a big event through the towns and villages all over the island and we did pass a large bullfighting arena, but I was happy to hear that in Portugal, it is illegal to kill the bulls.

PXL_20240203_170356707_Original.thumb.jpeg.51ffeb3cf2645406f9a2fbbf24b8cb49.jpeg

PXL_20240203_162711174_Original.thumb.jpeg.9cc127548a12f15946be90a0c7fe8d0d.jpeg

original_0774842a-119d-4581-a6fd-0a5814294232_PXL_20240203_162636000_Original.thumb.jpeg.c49ae1478e58d4cc5a646f47c47d4d48.jpeg

PXL_20240203_163218765_Original.thumb.jpeg.a46bde15e30a55cb008b21e359dd06c0.jpeg

The shops had an old fashioned feel to them, as you can see from the window display in a hardware shop and also a pharmacy. The former was closed as it was a Saturday afternoon, as were most other shops.

PXL_20240203_161702639_Original.thumb.jpeg.a98bc0a282e7a53fd0f00511faab3e29.jpeg

PXL_20240203_161454094.MP_Original.thumb.jpeg.08bb309b3dc59572a3ef8ac03ab6b26f.jpeg

We enjoyed our visit to a bar, where we paid €5.20 total for 2 coffees and 2 cakes. DH followed this with a glass of red wine, which was €3.50.  

PXL_20240203_163613181_Original.thumb.jpeg.34c2c11450c95b85e10491afce74b55b.jpeg

The final photo is the square where the coaches drop off and pick up. 

PXL_20240203_161401807_Original.thumb.jpeg.88e1a0b0d03b36e40a89a73e8e87e286.jpeg

Property prices on the island have almost doubled since Covid, which is a concern as the average wage is €700-€800 per month. It’s a largely agricultural island with more cows than people. 

We would consider returning under our own steam but I expect any visit would mean going via Lisbon, so that’s a bit of a negative but I will investigate, otherwise, the next visit could be January 2026, when we repeat this cruise, with just a few changes of ports.

Edited by mrsgoggins
Still learning with photos 😉
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the update, and the great photos👍🏻

Praia da Vitória really does look lovely. Tell me, what was the accessibility like for wheelchair users?

Saturday, 3rd February - part 2

I thought I would add the coffee and remaining cake picture from Angra bar.

PXL_20240203_164032999_Original.thumb.jpeg.a0ec496256834102662e5407dd0fc4cd.jpeg

We followed our excursion with another really good meal in Epicurean.  I had celeriac soup, which as it’s cream coloured, I won’t post, but DH had the Jambón Pata Negra Ibérico de Bellota, with aged Manchego cheese, Spanish olives, country bread and almond oil, prepared tableside.

PXL_20240203_192818642_exported_533_1707016059446_Original.thumb.jpeg.2cf513819053e5233fd43c06f55f107d.jpeg

PXL_20240203_193218486_exported_517_17070161222232_Original.thumb.jpeg.8e4aa8656bdbdc01cbbddd1b35f70271.jpeg

We had the Miso glazed rack and slow cooked lamb belly, which DH enjoyed so much the last time, that I had to give it a go, but the star was the rack of lamb, which resembled 2 thick lamb chops. Didn’t bother with potatoes either as chips or new since I think that’s a weak link in their dining, or maybe I’ve just been unlucky.

PXL_20240203_194952605_Original.thumb.jpeg.407526b9b3a55baa1648f10b1e888f56.jpeg

I ended with crepes Suzette yet again and DH with cheese. So long as the journey home doesn’t get too rough, we hope to dine here one last time 🤞.

The evening came to a close in the theatre with a girl group from the Netherlands, Magnolia Road. I really enjoyed their performance but I felt that I was in the minority and comments leaving the theatre and in the lift confirmed I was correct. They didn’t have the best voices, but they were enthusiastic and did a decent job, and at last we had stuff that wasn’t 50-65 years old or from Phantom or Les Mis! Their set included Shut up and Dance, Hello (Adele hit), two Dolly Parton songs and two which were done by Lady Gaga in Star is Born. I was happy 😁.

That concludes my review as we have only sea days left. Doing this has actually been a useful aid to memory, since it’s so easy for the days/Caribbean ports to blend together in my mind. I will answer questions though, and may post a few after thoughts when I get home. I’m already on my list of what I should have brought with me but didn’t and what I did, but could have done without.

Thanks again for reading, and my two photo-insertion advisers @TigerB and fabulous cat, and of course @grapau27

• Like 12
  • Thanks 8

47 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Thanks for the update, and the great photos👍🏻

Praia da Vitória really does look lovely. Tell me, what was the accessibility like for wheelchair users?

There was an accessible shuttle of course, and whilst I didn’t go into Praia da Vitória myself, I’ll add a picture that DH took and if I get the chance, will ask around to see if I can meet any wheelchair users who made the trip,

PXL_20240203_090339476_Original.thumb.jpeg.7b67067df551da9b3ade99b960defd08.jpeg

Looks promising, but I think you need more information. I’ll ask around. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Saturday, 3rd February - part 2

I thought I would add the coffee and remaining cake picture from Angra bar.

PXL_20240203_164032999_Original.thumb.jpeg.a0ec496256834102662e5407dd0fc4cd.jpeg

We followed our excursion with another really good meal in Epicurean.  I had celeriac soup, which as it’s cream coloured, I won’t post, but DH had the Jambón Pata Negra Ibérico de Bellota, with aged Manchego cheese, Spanish olives, country bread and almond oil, prepared tableside.

PXL_20240203_192818642_exported_533_1707016059446_Original.thumb.jpeg.2cf513819053e5233fd43c06f55f107d.jpeg

PXL_20240203_193218486_exported_517_17070161222232_Original.thumb.jpeg.8e4aa8656bdbdc01cbbddd1b35f70271.jpeg

We had the Miso glazed rack and slow cooked lamb belly, which DH enjoyed so much the last time, that I had to give it a go, but the star was the rack of lamb, which resembled 2 thick lamb chops. Didn’t bother with potatoes either as chips or new since I think that’s a weak link in their dining, or maybe I’ve just been unlucky.

PXL_20240203_194952605_Original.thumb.jpeg.407526b9b3a55baa1648f10b1e888f56.jpeg

I ended with crepes Suzette yet again and DH with cheese. So long as the journey home doesn’t get too rough, we hope to dine here one last time 🤞.

The evening came to a close in the theatre with a girl group from the Netherlands, Magnolia Road. I really enjoyed their performance but I felt that I was in the minority and comments leaving the theatre and in the lift confirmed I was correct. They didn’t have the best voices, but they were enthusiastic and did a decent job, and at last we had stuff that wasn’t 50-65 years old or from Phantom or Les Mis! Their set included Shut up and Dance, Hello (Adele hit), two Dolly Parton songs and two which were done by Lady Gaga in Star is Born. I was happy 😁.

That concludes my review as we have only sea days left. Doing this has actually been a useful aid to memory, since it’s so easy for the days/Caribbean ports to blend together in my mind. I will answer questions though, and may post a few after thoughts when I get home. I’m already on my list of what I should have brought with me but didn’t and what I did, but could have done without.

Thanks again for reading, and my two photo-insertion advisers @TigerB and fabulous cat, and of course @grapau27

Excellent photos and review.

I hope you have a relaxing last few sea days before you get back to Southampton.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1