Live from 35 nights on Ventura, what have I done?

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Lovely.

Thanks, but the photo of our supreme leader was posted in error!🤭  I was trying again to show MrsG how to post photos with a tap, and my finger slipped.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

40 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

The same/very similar cruise for January 2026 shows prices starting at £2499 per person.  Currently, if you book on board you can get 10% off that price.  As to how much it has gone up; no idea.  We didn’t book early and so could book for around £1K per person less, for the same mid-ship balcony by booking now - 2 years in advance!  Many on this cruise are booking their long cruises for 2026 on board and Future cruises desk is always busy.

No excuses necessary for ‘butting in’ by the way 😉.

Apologies, that should have been prices from £2449, a good deal for those who don’t mind/like inside cabins.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TigerB said:

Thanks, but the photo of our supreme leader was posted in error!🤭  I was trying again to show MrsG how to post photos with a tap, and my finger slipped.

Now I was imagining you to have supernatural powers as my good friends all know I love a good cat photo - and on my birthday my cards are all either cakes or cat themed 😄

• Like 7

@mrsgoggins, hopefully the following step-by-step instructions will assist you with your photos...

As you will already know, you can upload many images ready to post...

Screenshot_2024-01-19-12-12-30-2842.thumb.jpeg.233b776e87c97f38e1a8e676f1dcd709.jpeg

However, you need to insert them individually into your post to get the gap between them.

When you insert your first photo the cursor will be on the right side, as below...

Screenshot_2024-01-19-12-13-45-3032.thumb.jpeg.4634390e5bef3a55ccd0492127d74b91.jpeg

Click on the return key twice...

Screenshot_2024-01-19-12-13-45-3033.thumb.jpeg.093a0938259b4bb92f2359031f5132f4.jpeg

That will place the cursor on the left side and with a double space underneath your image...

Screenshot_2024-01-19-12-14-13-5773.thumb.jpeg.48a6eaa85980d45e176b13955a5b7ead.jpeg

Now insert your second image.

Your post will now look like this...

IMG_20230909_205405287.thumb.jpg.da0ec579380a2a5c49cce8115de144ac.jpg

IMG_20230813_225206977.thumb.jpg.9ef3e79bebf37dc580ff1abd36fdf91b.jpg

Repeat for each image you insert.

To widen or shorten the gap, or write text between the images, just click between two images to place the cursor; you can then lengthen or shorten the gap, or insert your text.

Hopefully, you will soon be an expert!👍🏻

Now, don't make me get on the next plane to your next port, and come onboard to show you in person 😂

Assisting me with this demo was the beautiful CoCo 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

Apologies, that should have been prices from £2449, a good deal for those who don’t mind/like inside cabins.

Are they still offering extra obc as well as 10% discount?   That’s what they were offering in September so just wondering 🤔 

Just catching up Mrs Goggins, thanks for taking us along!

I like the Metropolis bar, I went with my friend on the first night of a cruise and there were quite a few of us there. The lady singer said people didn’t normally find them up there til near the end of the cruise!

• Haha 1

Sunday, a sea day and time to catch up.  First off my huge thanks to @TigerB for your patience and laughter (don’t make me have to fly out …… I chuckled at the thought 😄). Now I must follow up with apologies since I have cancelled my Death in Paradise tour in Guadeloupe and as expected, was told that the places would go to people at the top of the list.  I had hoped to take many photos and assess suitability for you and your lass, but in the end, events made me decide to cancel, after wrestling with the decision.  More later.

On Friday, 19th January we were on the Dutch island of Bonaire, where we had pre-ordered a golf buggy, something I first saw mentioned on these boards, so thanks to whoever it was.  The tent where we first checked in was easy to find from the instructions given.  From there, we and another couple, were directed to the office and storage place for the buggies, a 5 minute walk or so away.  

PXL_20240119_144904606_Original.thumb.jpeg.5f0c97b4f93b4544611311d44cf84861.jpeg

By the time we had reached this place we had probably been walking for 15/20 minutes or so from leaving the ship in 29C temperatures, and that’s when I realised that I would find the Death in Paradise tour too much from the description given of the 1.5 hours of walking necessary. (I had been to Shorex to see if they could shed some light on the tour, but they merely read out the printed tour description back to me).  My disability is hidden (no walking stick or aid but I do stay close to mrgoggins when walking on uneven ground) and there is hope of improvement so, if we visit Guadeloupe again, you never know! 

The 2.5 hours it took to drive around the island - some of it one-way - had many places where it was easy to stop and take in the glorious scenery.

PXL_20240119_144645193.MP_Original.thumb.jpeg.dfba8b45b3ddf1b5f47f835a0e545d53.jpeg

On our return, we took the golf buggy through the main colourful shopping street and went back via the waterfront (Silver Dawn was docked in front of Ventura).  

PXL_20240119_155512473_Original.jpeg

Mrgoggins offered to drop me off close to the ship but I declined and we strolled back together.  We would do this again if we return (likely), but may just pay on the day to allow for the chance of wet weather. As it was my right arm is now a different colour to my left, as is DH’s left leg 🤭.

This was my favourite day of the cruise so far and my pleasure extended into the evening when we dined outside at the Beach House where we enjoyed a scenic, if windy, departure from Bonaire.  The tablecloths had to be removed it was so windy.  I had the lava rock steak and himself had chicken tenders.  All good, but such a lot of food following on from filled potato skins and boneless spicy chicken wings (too spicy for me).  We shared a dessert, but only had a spoonful each just to taste it, and I don’t even recall what it was!  A photo from our pool view table; it felt very atmospheric.

PXL_20240119_233302747_Original.thumb.jpeg.9205fdc29f3018d5832a7717e28de819.jpeg

The evening was rounded off by another excellent performance by the Bluejays, this time playing 60s rock music.  Again, theatre pretty full half an hour prior, and standing room only by the time the show began.

Now with fingers crossed, I am going to press send, in the hope that the photos are not enormous.  If it works, thanks again @TigerB and if it doesn’t, our next port of call is Dominica tomorrow 😉.

Edited by mrsgoggins
Photos wrong!
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Hey, look at you with your gaps and text between your photos! 👍🏻

I think you had a lucky escape there with 'Saint Marie', no fear now of you ending up a crime scene!😉

To be fair, I do know that the tour would not have been at all suitable for our lass and her wheelchair.

You have piqued my interest with the golf buggy tour, if we were ever to visit that island. Looking at the one in the photo, I reckon she would be able to transfer into it. Failing that, I could take a length of rope and tow her.  That would be okay I'm sure; I mean, what could go wrong?🙄

Great photos, by the way🙂

• Haha 13

Monday, 22 January in Dominica

We only went for a walk around at this port. There were many stalls right in front of the ship, along with very many trying to persuade you to take one of their excursions in a variety of open-topped and small bus type vehicles - $20 appeared to be the going rate for each of them. They all seemed to be good natured and were not pushy after a 'no thanks'.  There is also a supermarket within 100 yards.  It was doing a good trade with passengers during our visit.  I was surprised to see some Waitrose branded items on the shelves.  Who knew?

At departure time we were treated to a magnificent rainbow 🌈 where we could see the full arc vividly.  I know my phone's camera won't do it justice, but here goes

PXL_20240122_215120875.jpg

Edited by mrsgoggins
  • Like 18

10 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

Monday, 22 January in Dominica

We only went for a walk around at this port. There were many stalls right in front of the ship, along with very many trying to persuade you to take one of their excursions in a variety of open-topped and small bus type vehicles - $20 appeared to be the going rate for each of them. They all seemed to be good natured and were not pushy after a 'no thanks'.  There is also a supermarket within 100 yards.  It was doing a good trade with passengers during our visit.  I was surprised to see some Waitrose branded items on the shelves.  Who knew?

At departure time we were treated to a magnificent rainbow 🌈 where we could see the full arc vividly.  I know my phone's camera won't do it justice, but here goes

PXL_20240122_215120875.jpg

Snap

P1100488.JPG

2014 we have been to ports where a band has been put on but ordering rainbows is something else.

Edited by Bill Y
  • Like 4

Tuesday, 23 January continued 

We dined in Epicurean for the third time this cruise and again it was a good experience with excellent food and great service.  DH had the miso-glazed rack and slow cooked lamb belly, which he said had the best lamb chops he had ever had!  I had the Australian Black Angus sirloin, which was perfectly cooked for me (medium rare) followed by Crepes Suzette, prepared tableside of course.  

The Entertainments manager, Leon, made an early evening announcement regretting that tonight’s theatre performance by Harrison Treble, a piano vocalist, had been unable to make it to the ship due to the weather in the UK.  The theatre substitute was the film Avatar, which I quickly googled and just as quickly discounted!

I keep reminding myself that the reasons we are on this cruise begins and ends at January weather!  And so …… drum roll …… not only are we booked on next year’s 35 night cruise which takes in New Orleans and Miami, but also the Caribbean cruise for January 2026!  So, despite the thread’s title, I’ve obviously decided that I can cope well with 5 weeks away 😄.  

I know that the weather could be very different on next year’s cruise, because like @Megabear2 we have spent time in Florida each January for the last 15 years (with the single exception of 2021 of course) and have seen frozen fountains (only once but never to be forgotten) to temperatures in the mid 20s and everything in between.  Which is why we have also taken at least one Caribbean cruise each visit.  I believe I have mentioned earlier that I intend to avoid flying home overnight from the USA ever again.  With that in mind, we are sailing back (with Celebrity) in April of this year and next 🤞.

Back later with some observations about P&O v Celebrity, as it was mentioned in another thread.  Meanwhile, here’s the other end of the rainbow 🌈 as we were leaving Dominica - the supermarket is the large illuminated building to the left of the picture.

PXL_20240122_215036780_Original.jpeg

Edited by mrsgoggins
  • Like 14

25 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Tuesday, 23 January continued 

We dined in Epicurean for the third time this cruise and again it was a good experience with excellent food and great service.  DH had the miso-glazed rack and slow cooked lamb belly, which he said had the best lamb chops he had ever had!  I had the Australian Black Angus sirloin, which was perfectly cooked for me (medium rare) followed by Crepes Suzette, prepared tableside of course.  

The Entertainments manager, Leon, made an early evening announcement regretting that tonight’s theatre performance by Harrison Treble, a piano vocalist, had been unable to make it to the ship due to the weather in the UK.  The theatre substitute was the film Avatar, which I quickly googled and just as quickly discounted!

I keep reminding myself that the reasons we are on this cruise begins and ends at January weather!  And so …… drum roll …… not only are we booked on next year’s 35 night cruise which takes in New Orleans and Miami, but also the Caribbean cruise for January 2026!  So, despite the thread’s title, I’ve obviously decided that I can cope well with 5 weeks away 😄.  

I know that the weather could be very different on next year’s cruise, because like @Megabear2 we have spent time in Florida each January for the last 15 years (with the single exception of 2021 of course) and have seen frozen fountains (only once but never to be forgotten) to temperatures in the mid 20s and everything in between.  Which is why we have also taken at least one Caribbean cruise each visit.  I believe I have mentioned earlier that I intend to avoid flying home overnight from the USA ever again.  With that in mind, we are sailing back (with Celebrity) in April of this year and next 🤞.

Back later with some observations about P&O v Celebrity, as it was mentioned in another thread.  Meanwhile, here’s the other end of the rainbow 🌈 as we were leaving Dominica - the supermarket is the large illuminated building to the left of the picture.

PXL_20240122_215036780_Original.jpeg

Lovely picture. I love Dominica as the people are so welcoming and the interior so beautiful.  One of my best memories here on Britannia at a very rainy sailaway with a handful of guests.  A sudden unexpected lightning flash and thunderous downpour caused our poor waitress to dive under the table taking our drinks with her. Cheryl Baker didn't turn a hair and soaked to the skin danced on the stage between the two pools belting out Makin Your Mind Up with an audience of around ten left including the staff. Certainly a case of the show must go on considering she wasn't even meant to be performing until that evening in the Limelight Club!

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 6

My take on Celebrity v P&O - I appreciate that this will only be of interest to a few, so a warning, it’s wordy so don’t even start it if easily bored 😉

As I have declared that we are taking at least 2 more P&O cruises, I hope you would take it that I have no intention of talking P&O down!  This cruise is our fourth time on Ventura and we have also been on Azura and Iona once each - less keen on the latter but have enjoyed our time on them all.  However we are Elite plus with Celebrity, and find the loyalty perks very useful.  We are happy with either international passengers or mostly British, but the things we do value about Celebrity are:

1.  Hardly ever needing to share a table - tables for 2 can be close together but there are no banquettes as far as I can recall.  Even if your preferred table is occupied, they like to keep you with the same servers even on Anytime dining unless you request otherwise.  My DH is quite deaf and so in a noisy MDR sharing a table can be difficult as I’ve previously said.

2.  The morning breakfast service is usually very slick with someone constantly going around with tea and coffee, another with juices and another with a tray of pastries, in addition to your own table wait staff, who take care of the items you order from the menu.  It’s also the same on Princess btw.  On P&O trying to get refills at breakfast is a bugbear of ours, as I do believe I have already mentioned!

3.  I’m not a fan of buffets ever, but the Celebrity buffet before it get crowded can be a thing of beauty whereas the P&O ones on this class of ship have a poor layout in my opinion.  I’ve heard others speak well of the Iona buffet, but we were not impressed when we tried it - the fish and chip counter being the exception.

4.  Being able to wander into the theatre 10 minutes before start time and get a good seat. On this Ventura cruise especially, it’s common to stake your claim to a seat 40 minutes before a performance with hardly any left 10/15 minutes before the show.  I do put this down largely to the timing of the theatre shows, which are 8.30 pm and 10.30 pm on Ventura with the vast majority of us wanting the 8.30 show, unsurprisingly.  Both shows would be much earlier on Celebrity (and Princess).

5.  I like the Celebrity cabins and bigger bathrooms (no shower curtains) but miss the wardrobe/dressing area of P&O.  I like that Celebrity does not have fiddly theft-proof hangers (but Princess does 🙄).  Celebrity still offer a nightly room service with a chocolate on your pillow.  I would prefer not to have this so a win for P&O.

Photos are from Celebrity Apex, which will be berthed in Southampton this coming season.

IMG_2733.thumb.jpeg.44172212dd42d90e560010a8edd7026f.jpeg

IMG_2723.thumb.jpeg.42afd30a2af75a45f9d4c6bc7216f177.jpeg

The 2 things that most often come up in comparisons are food and price of the cruise.  Our take is that meals are going to be better presented on Celebrity and geared more to American taste, but we are happy with both.  Over on the Celebrity boards they complain of it not being what it was with regard to food, much the same as some do on P&O!

Price is an interesting one.  I have a spreadsheet of every cruise we have taken, price, what is/is not included etc and I would say it’s not always as clear cut as it might seem.  I have posted a few times before that one of my Celebrity AI Caribbean cruises last year cost less per night than my 2 week Canaries cruise on Iona, booked on opening and with little OBC but with parking!  I accept that Celebrity is usually more costly than P&O for similar itineraries once you have added in gratuities if not on AI, but not always.

As elite plus on Celebrity we get free drinks (from a menu) between 5 and 7 pm, 125 free high speed internet minutes each, 2 x free bags of laundry each, and the perk I value most of all, free specialty teas and coffees.  We also get diamond status on Royal Caribbean (Celebrity parent company), so good loyalty perks I think.

There are no laundry rooms for personal use on Celebrity but I’m not sure they have many cruises of more than 12-14 nights.  A P&O laundry room is a big bonus.

Celebrity ships IMO are quite classy with art works on display throughout the ships.  We have sailed on the Millennium class, Solstice class (favourites) and the newest Edge class.  

Different classes of cabins can have different dining rooms, with the majority using the MDRs, but Aqua class guests dine in Blu restaurant (a favourite with DH, not so much me) and suite guests in Luminae restaurant (we’d never see the value in a suite for us).  

The speciality restaurant prices can bring a tear to the eye, but that was not always so before the pound ‘tanked’ against the dollar (🤐 @Harry Peterson) and we have dined in them all, but would not pay the prices now.  Epicurean on P&O however, would be good value in my book even without generous OBS, and certainly Sindhu and the Beach House if you care for them.

I’ll stop now and try to add a photo of a Celebrity stateroom/cabin (who do they all think they are kidding with the ‘stateroom’ nonsense?)

If anyone is still with me and wishes to ask anything specific, please feel free. Thanks to those who lasted to the bitter end 👏😉

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

My take on Celebrity v P&O - I appreciate that this will only be of interest to a few, so a warning, it’s wordy so don’t even start it if easily bored 😉

As I have declared that we are taking at least 2 more P&O cruises, I hope you would take it that I have no intention of talking P&O down!  This cruise is our fourth time on Ventura and we have also been on Azura and Iona once each - less keen on the latter but have enjoyed our time on them all.  However we are Elite plus with Celebrity, and find the loyalty perks very useful.  We are happy with either international passengers or mostly British, but the things we do value about Celebrity are:

1.  Hardly ever needing to share a table - tables for 2 can be close together but there are no banquettes as far as I can recall.  Even if your preferred table is occupied, they like to keep you with the same servers even on Anytime dining unless you request otherwise.  My DH is quite deaf and so in a noisy MDR sharing a table can be difficult as I’ve previously said.

2.  The morning breakfast service is usually very slick with someone constantly going around with tea and coffee, another with juices and another with a tray of pastries, in addition to your own table wait staff, who take care of the items you order from the menu.  It’s also the same on Princess btw.  On P&O trying to get refills at breakfast is a bugbear of ours, as I do believe I have already mentioned!

3.  I’m not a fan of buffets ever, but the Celebrity buffet before it get crowded can be a thing of beauty whereas the P&O ones on this class of ship have a poor layout in my opinion.  I’ve heard others speak well of the Iona buffet, but we were not impressed when we tried it - the fish and chip counter being the exception.

4.  Being able to wander into the theatre 10 minutes before start time and get a good seat. On this Ventura cruise especially, it’s common to stake your claim to a seat 40 minutes before a performance with hardly any left 10/15 minutes before the show.  I do put this down largely to the timing of the theatre shows, which are 8.30 pm and 10.30 pm on Ventura with the vast majority of us wanting the 8.30 show, unsurprisingly.  Both shows would be much earlier on Celebrity (and Princess).

5.  I like the Celebrity cabins and bigger bathrooms (no shower curtains) but miss the wardrobe/dressing area of P&O.  I like that Celebrity does not have fiddly theft-proof hangers (but Princess does 🙄).  Celebrity still offer a nightly room service with a chocolate on your pillow.  I would prefer not to have this so a win for P&O.

Photos are from Celebrity Apex, which will be berthed in Southampton this coming season.

The 2 things that most often come up in comparisons are food and price of the cruise.  Our take is that meals are going to be better presented on Celebrity and geared more to American taste, but we are happy with both.  Over on the Celebrity boards they complain of it not being what it was with regard to food, much the same as some do on P&O!

Price is an interesting one.  I have a spreadsheet of every cruise we have taken, price, what is/is not included etc and I would say it’s not always as clear cut as it might seem.  I have posted a few times before that one of my Celebrity AI Caribbean cruises last year cost less per night than my 2 week Canaries cruise on Iona, booked on opening and with little OBC but with parking!  I accept that Celebrity is usually more costly than P&O for similar itineraries once you have added in gratuities if not on AI, but not always.

As elite plus on Celebrity we get free drinks (from a menu) between 5 and 7 pm, 125 free high speed internet minutes each, 2 x free bags of laundry each, and the perk I value most of all, free specialty teas and coffees.  We also get diamond status on Royal Caribbean (Celebrity parent company), so good loyalty perks I think.

There are no laundry rooms for personal use on Celebrity but I’m not sure they have many cruises of more than 12-14 nights.  A P&O laundry room is a big bonus.

Celebrity ships IMO are quite classy with art works on display throughout the ships.  We have sailed on the Millennium class, Solstice class (favourites) and the newest Edge class.  

Different classes of cabins can have different dining rooms, with the majority using the MDRs, but Aqua class guests dine in Blu restaurant (a favourite with DH, not so much me) and suite guests in Luminae restaurant (we’d never see the value in a suite for us).  

The speciality restaurant prices can bring a tear to the eye, but that was not always so before the pound ‘tanked’ against the dollar (🤐 @Harry Peterson) and we have dined in them all, but would not pay the prices now.  Epicurean on P&O however, would be good value in my book even without generous OBS, and certainly Sindhu and the Beach House if you care for them.

I’ll stop now and try to add a photo of a Celebrity stateroom/cabin (who do they all think they are kidding with the ‘stateroom’ nonsense?)

If anyone is still with me and wishes to ask anything specific, please feel free. Thanks to those who lasted to the bitter end 👏😉

Thank you for your comprehensive comparison. I was the one asking megabear earlier. I am always nervous about trying a new line but I feel we will be ok on Celebrity and I've never heard anything that would put me off. I am looking forward to the food, but we are not in aquaclass so there is no dining in Blu for us 😥. Now that have described the Elite perks I am wondering how many nights will I have to do before I get there. It might make me look more at Celebrity for other long haul trips.

Meanwhile  I am following your live report and now I'm beginning to see why people do the long cruises in January. I have recently retired (2 weeks!) and can see us doing longer cruises going forward. Enjoy your travels!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mrsgoggins said:

On P&O trying to get refills at breakfast is a bugbear of ours, as I do believe I have already mentioned!

Same frustration on Aurora at present. This morning was the first time that I was offered a refill without having to ask. At home I tend to have around 3 mugs of tea before I face the day, so to just have one small cup and then have to beg for a second, let alone a third, does rather get my goat as well 😂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Malcolm142 said:

Perhaps a silly question but why don't you ask for a pot of tea.

Not the MDR I know but that's what I got every breakfast in Epicurean

My wife and I both have decaf tea and I’ve asked for a pot of it partly so we can have more of it and also because it saves them time not having to do refills. They say it’s not possible (of course it is, but they won’t do it).

Epicurean is different as you get a pot for one as a matter of course. Us commoners in the cheap seats aren’t trusted with pouring our own tea. 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

30 minutes ago, Malcolm142 said:

Perhaps a silly question but why don't you ask for a pot of tea.

Not the MDR I know but that's what I got every breakfast in Epicurean

I you are on a shared table with 5 others there's barely enough room for everyone's food, juices, toast etc as it is. Nice idea though.

4 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

Is that classed as a sea/ocean view 'stateroom', and is that the top window pulled down?

Our friends like Celebrity and keep telling us to try them.

1 hour ago, TigerB said:

Is that classed as a sea/ocean view 'stateroom', and is that the top window pulled down?

Our friends like Celebrity and keep telling us to try them.

No, it's an infinite veranda stateroom and yes, the top window comes down (push button). Essentially what is your 'balcony' becomes part of your room, but can also be closed off if that makes sense.  They are lovely rooms but I missed a traditional balcony.  I believe the suites at the back of the ship have 'proper' balconies.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

Thanks very much for that comparison, and for the level of detail. It does sound very much more like the P&O of some years back, and we’ll take a look at some itineraries. Funnily enough, the two people who first put us on to P&O, many years ago, have both defected - one to Saga and one to Celebrity.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

No, it's an infinite veranda stateroom and yes, the top window comes down (push button). Essentially what is your 'balcony' becomes part of your room, but can also be closed off if that makes sense.  They are lovely rooms but I missed a traditional balcony.  I believe the suites at the back of the ship have 'proper' balconies.

The "sunset" balconies at the back of the ship are traditional style with a very large balcony - we had two full size sun loungers and two chairs with a table comfortably spaced on ours.  

• Thanks 1