The joys of the tropics - flies and mosquitos

Sounds like a real estate pitch, check out the ambience (mozzie and bugs) in this fully air conditioned fisherman's fibre cottage. Tight and cosy while having the feel of being outside. Lol

5 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Have you seen amongst the gazillion home reno/home buying programmes, homes in the likes of Florida and the hotter parts of Europe, where they have a huge "room" attached to the outside of their houses made entirely of mesh and a framework, for outdoor living to keep the nasties out? You often see swimming pools in them, or simply just an outdoor patio.

I saw those when I was on my way to the airport in Orlando many years ago. It seemed a very sensible idea to me. I'm surprised it hasnt caught on in parts of Australia. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Sounds like a real estate pitch, check out the ambience (mozzie and bugs) in this fully air conditioned fisherman's fibre cottage. Tight and cosy while having the feel of being outside. Lol

Green, eco friendly living at its best 🙂

• Like 1

Many, many years ago when I was doing a bit of camping I modified our tent to add full flyscreening - door with a zip, windows, even the air vents at the top. All hand sewn in.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2024 at 9:49 PM, Jean C said:

Have you seen amongst the gazillion home reno/home buying programmes, homes in the likes of Florida and the hotter parts of Europe, where they have a huge "room" attached to the outside of their houses made entirely of mesh and a framework, for outdoor living to keep the nasties out? You often see swimming pools in them, or simply just an outdoor patio.

The cages or screen rooms as they are called are very common throughout Florida and many of the warmer weather states in the USA. In some neighborhoods in Florida, they are almost always included with the building of the home. So, practically every home has one. With endless summer weather, it makes for expansive outdoor living. Many of the more elaborate ones will have a combined undercover area with the open screened area, complete with outdoor kitchen and living area with tv, bar, fridge, entertainment area etc. It allows the residents to "live" outside most of the year without the nasty critters. We live in Florida, but we don't have one😔.    

• Like 4