Reservations - are they needed?

We normally sail on Celebrity but have also cruised on several other cruise lines.  This past April we took a family trip on the Oasis.  One thing that struck me in terms of differences with the Oasis (and perhaps RCI in general), was the need for reservations to the various shows.  On all of our other cruises we can show up 15 minutes or so before the show and have no trouble finding seats.  For our Oasis cruise I tried to get reservations a month or so out and virtually nothing was available for any of the venues.  I have read here that a lot of the reservation holders don't show up and you can generally get seats for the various shows.  Because of family activities and commitments we never tested this theory.  So, my question is:  for ships that sail 4 and 5 night cruises out of Florida ports, how easy is it to see all of the various shows without reservations?  How long before the shows do you need to line up?  We are looking at making a last minute booking for this January or February and assume that all the show reservations will already be filled and wonder whether we will be disappointed with our entertainment options.

How important that you get the seats you want vs whatever is available?  

I don't think anyone has been fully turned away from a show, so you can get in.  But you will be seated in places you may not see that well.

As for making reservations- they open up the first of the month prior to the one you cruse from.  So ships sailing Feb 1-28 all open on Jan 1.  That would be the first choice.  IMHO, instead of waiting in line to book when you get on board- open up the app and make reservations.   We've made them later than 1pm on boarding day and gotten all of the shows except the comedy show.  And that also has a stand by line.

While it may be odd to need reservations, the ship holds +6000 people, and the venues are pretty small, relatively speaking.  So they really are needed. 

Thanks for the responses.  We seem to be zeroing in on a 4-night sailing of Liberty of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale.  From what I have read, the show is a Cirque du Soleil-style show called "In the Air".  We are not big fans of this type of show so perhaps the reservation issue for this particular show is not an issue.  But does that mean that the main auditorium is used every night for this show and no other shows are provided?  Or do they they provided alternative shows on other nights.  I certainly hope so.

8 minutes ago, rjp50 said:

Thanks for the responses.  We seem to be zeroing in on a 4-night sailing of Liberty of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale.  From what I have read, the show is a Cirque du Soleil-style show called "In the Air".  We are not big fans of this type of show so perhaps the reservation issue for this particular show is not an issue.  But does that mean that the main auditorium is used every night for this show and no other shows are provided?  Or do they they provided alternative shows on other nights.  I certainly hope so.

There are no reservations on Freedom class ships 

3 hours ago, rjp50 said:

Of the 4 nights, the first two nights will be Saturday Night Fever, Night 3 will be a guest, and night 4 will be In the Air twice.  The theater is pretty busy.  

7 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Of the 4 nights, the first two nights will be Saturday Night Fever, Night 3 will be a guest, and night 4 will be In the Air twice.  The theater is pretty busy.  

That sounds perfect.  Based on the previous response, I assume it is first come first served?

Being from A2, can I assume that a Go Blue is warranted?

1 hour ago, rjp50 said:

That sounds perfect.  Based on the previous response, I assume it is first come first served?

Being from A2, can I assume that a Go Blue is warranted?

Yes.  So if you want specific seats, the doors open ~40 min before.  If not, IIRC, SNF on the first night isn't very crowded- given people are still getting used to being on a ship.  Either way, there were seats right up to the performance.

And yes, Go Blue is both warranted and quite welcome!!