Odyssey of the seas. Is this ship the red headed step child?

Sailed on her Nov. 23
So much is different compared to the common aspects of Royal ships.
Different shipbuilder? It seems like it was made to fit Royal's design.

This is just my observations

- No real promenade.  It's smaller and it feels more like carnival where it meanders.
- No car art like all the other ships, or at least the newer ships. I always take the kid's pics next to the car. 
- SportsPlex I liked the sports plex but it hides the back of the ship since you can't walk through it.
SportsPlex has a second floor and I think there was an elevator but it was hidden in the back. If you were in a wheelchair or couldn't climb stairs you probably would never go to Playmakers or the upstairs. If you're not looking for the Flowrider you won't find it. IMO  I was on the ship for 8 days and never went to the back of the ship. the only way back there was going to deck 16 and walking around the sports plex outside. since there are no water slides you don't really see a need to go there unless your trying to.

- The arcade was a disaster. It's like an afterthought, games are spread out.  some on the second floor some on the first then there were more games on the other side in the corner.  Then half the games were broken (I know this is not part of the layout just mentioning don't spend the money on prepaid arcade they had to refund me my money because nearly 40-50% of the games were broken) They should reorganize the arcade.  put all the ping pong tables and foosball together and all the arcade games together. 

- No waterslides.  Most likely because of the sports plex. No perfect storm. 

- The pub has food!!!  Though I was not a fan of the food I tried.  I had the fried pickles and they were spears, not chips. and the pretzels were more of a traditional NY soft pretzel.  Usually, I find bar pretzels are softer like bread. The food wasn't bad I was not a fan.  But hey they had food which most of the pubs should IMO.  who doesn't love bar food?

- 4 Person rooms,  Who designed these things?  no pullmans? only a couch which we had to put away ourselves since Royal now doesn't do that.
the couch is too close to the desk so you can't use the desk when it's pulled out. You have to be careful everyone kicked the couch at least once. the path around the couch is less than a foot. You have to walk past this to get to the balcony. That's why we had to put the bed away so we could use the balcony. Really bad design. its a nice room otherwise. For 2-3 people and no pull-out couch, it's a nice room. 

- The shower door swings out and doesn't slide together.  This is fine but when they slide we can have 2 people in the bathroom.  you can't really be in the bathroom if someone needs to get out of the shower.  No big deal just different.

- Windjammer, is great as always, always love the food.  The back of Windjammer was not used it had a station but it was never used.  and the seating was so far from the buffet. These are some of the best seats, but they come with the cost of being like 150 feet from the buffet. 

- They have wearables!!! I like the idea but...This system falls short.  I'm in IT so maybe I'm biased as I can make this system work great.
you still need your card. What is the point of the wristband if you still need your card?  I hate lanyards and using my retractable keychain.  The servers still need to take your card to get you a drink. this is a dumb process IMO.  let me use the app or have an iPad like Kids Club.  I don't need a card at the kids club the wristband has the info and they tap it.  I have to have the card to get off the ship.  They yelled at me for scanning my wristband which has the same info on it. they both scan the same on the tap.  I had my card in my wallet. 

Had a great time and looking for my next cruise but I'm not a fan of this ship with my family. If just me and the wife ok sure, but for families like ours in one room no thank you

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

What you describe are the features of Quantum (Quantum, Anthem, Ovation) and Quantum Ultra (Spectrum, Odyssey) class ships.

Did you do any research before booking the ship?

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, codeyell0 said:

Sailed on her Nov. 23
So much is different compared to the common aspects of Royal ships.
Different shipbuilder? It seems like it was made to fit Royal's design.

This is just my observations

- No real promenade.  It's smaller and it feels more like carnival where it meanders.
- No car art like all the other ships, or at least the newer ships. I always take the kid's pics next to the car. 
- SportsPlex I liked the sports plex but it hides the back of the ship since you can't walk through it.
SportsPlex has a second floor and I think there was an elevator but it was hidden in the back. If you were in a wheelchair or couldn't climb stairs you probably would never go to Playmakers or the upstairs. If you're not looking for the Flowrider you won't find it. IMO  I was on the ship for 8 days and never went to the back of the ship. the only way back there was going to deck 16 and walking around the sports plex outside. since there are no water slides you don't really see a need to go there unless your trying to.

- The arcade was a disaster. It's like an afterthought, games are spread out.  some on the second floor some on the first then there were more games on the other side in the corner.  Then half the games were broken (I know this is not part of the layout just mentioning don't spend the money on prepaid arcade they had to refund me my money because nearly 40-50% of the games were broken) They should reorganize the arcade.  put all the ping pong tables and foosball together and all the arcade games together. 

- No waterslides.  Most likely because of the sports plex. No perfect storm. 

- The pub has food!!!  Though I was not a fan of the food I tried.  I had the fried pickles and they were spears, not chips. and the pretzels were more of a traditional NY soft pretzel.  Usually, I find bar pretzels are softer like bread. The food wasn't bad I was not a fan.  But hey they had food which most of the pubs should IMO.  who doesn't love bar food?

- 4 Person rooms,  Who designed these things?  no pullmans? only a couch which we had to put away ourselves since Royal now doesn't do that.
the couch is too close to the desk so you can't use the desk when it's pulled out. You have to be careful everyone kicked the couch at least once. the path around the couch is less than a foot. You have to walk past this to get to the balcony. That's why we had to put the bed away so we could use the balcony. Really bad design. its a nice room otherwise. For 2-3 people and no pull-out couch, it's a nice room. 

- The shower door swings out and doesn't slide together.  This is fine but when they slide we can have 2 people in the bathroom.  you can't really be in the bathroom if someone needs to get out of the shower.  No big deal just different.

- Windjammer, is great as always, always love the food.  The back of Windjammer was not used it had a station but it was never used.  and the seating was so far from the buffet. These are some of the best seats, but they come with the cost of being like 150 feet from the buffet. 

- They have wearables!!! I like the idea but...This system falls short.  I'm in IT so maybe I'm biased as I can make this system work great.
you still need your card. What is the point of the wristband if you still need your card?  I hate lanyards and using my retractable keychain.  The servers still need to take your card to get you a drink. this is a dumb process IMO.  let me use the app or have an iPad like Kids Club.  I don't need a card at the kids club the wristband has the info and they tap it.  I have to have the card to get off the ship.  They yelled at me for scanning my wristband which has the same info on it. they both scan the same on the tap.  I had my card in my wallet. 

Had a great time and looking for my next cruise but I'm not a fan of this ship with my family. If just me and the wife ok sure, but for families like ours in one room no thank you

Its my opinion they are designed to sail from more northern ports year round and offer more indoor venues.

Edited by Saoa0318
Spelling
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

What you describe are the features of Quantum (Quantum, Anthem, Ovation) and Quantum Ultra (Spectrum, Odyssey) class ships.

good question,  sure doesn't sound like any research happened

• Like 4

I agree that Odyssey is different than the ships in the Oasis, Freedom and Mariner classes.  But then so are Jewel and other older ships.  Different isn’t inherently good or bad.  I liked many things on odyssey but didn’t love the Playmaker location.  But I loved the blue loveseats outside on one of the higher decks (outside Playmakers).  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ATG said:

I agree that Odyssey is different than the ships in the Oasis, Freedom and Mariner classes.  But then so are Jewel and other older ships.  Different isn’t inherently good or bad.  I liked many things on odyssey but didn’t love the Playmaker location.  But I loved the blue loveseats outside on one of the higher decks (outside Playmakers).  

To us, the Quantum ships are kind of a combination of the ships with a Royal Promenade and ones with a Centrum.  Especially how the path toward the both the theater in the front and the lounge in the aft go along one side.

We've sailed the Anthem quite a few times, and very much looking forward to the Odyssey soon.

2 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Same.  Quantum once, Anthem eight times.  Will sail Odyssey in November.

I believe there are two dates in November. Did you prefer the holiday week or the week before? The holiday week ended on Sunday of the highest traveling day which tended to scare me off unless I could drive. Even driving, the New Jersey Turnpike has been clogged on that Sunday for years.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I believe there are two dates in November. Did you prefer the holiday week or the week before? The holiday week ended on Sunday of the highest traveling day which tended to scare me off unless I could drive. Even driving, the New Jersey Turnpike has been clogged on that Sunday for years.

Neither ... I picked the TA from Rome (Civitavecchia).  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

Have you ever researched a ship to see exactly how the shower door opens, how far the seats are from the buffet, if there is car art or not, exactly where the arcade games are placed, how much room there is from the desk when the couch is pulled out? Who does this kind of research? He was simply stating his observations.

• Like 16
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Have you ever researched a ship to see exactly how the shower door opens, how far the seats are from the buffet, if there is car art or not, exactly where the arcade games are placed, how much room there is from the desk when the couch is pulled out? Who does this kind of research? He was simply stating his observations.

Well, excuse me!

"Is this ship the red headed step child?" seems more of a complaint than observation.

They are in for a real SHOCK if they ever book Vision or Radiance class.

P.S.  I personally care nothing about the above.  Life happens, go with the flow.

P.P.S.  You don't research the bedding situation prior to booking a room?  The OP should not have been surprised that there were no pullmans.  You don't research activities/venues?

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

4 Person rooms,  Who designed these things?  no pullmans? only a couch which we had to put away ourselves since Royal now doesn't do that.

No pullmans on any of the Quantum class ships and there are also no pullmans on the latest Oasis class ships.  The last ship where Royal had pullmans as a regular feature was Allure

• Like 3

We have sailed Anthem TA twice and really enjoyed it - perfect for cooler weather sailings.  Agree less outdoor kids stuff but the SportsPlex was quite fun for pickleball.  Solarium was also very nice for those sailings.   Love the Music Hall set up and we were lucky to have good house bands.  Even got to watch the Coronation in May with a party spirit on that big screen (though they could have set up tea pots and scones for us 😎).  

3 hours ago, crazyank said:

good question,  sure doesn't sound like any research happened

I'm going to bit my tongue on this comment.

I do tons of research and look at all the videos I can find.  
pictures and videos are one thing experience is another.   

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Everything you said is why we love Odyssey. It sounds like you’re more of an oasis class fan. I like Oasis ships too, but prefer Odyssey. We’ve done a few TAs on it and loved them.

Nice ship, but I do like oasis and freedom. class.  The things I didn't like didn't make sense, especially for families. like the rooms and the pull-out couch which blocks the way and makes the desk unusable you can't pull out the chair and sit so in the AM my wife can't sit and get ready without putting the pull-out away. IMO bad design. I saw this in one video but didn't know about the desk and we had to leave the pull-out down to easily slide away.  
I watched many videos and Royal has a theme that didn't seem to follow that theme that was my point.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Everything you said is why we love Odyssey. It sounds like you’re more of an oasis class fan. I like Oasis ships too, but prefer Odyssey. We’ve done a few TAs on it and loved them.

We also love the Odyssey, it is definitely our favorite in the Quantum class. We have been on Ovation, Quantum, Anthem & Odyssey and we enjoy all of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

No pullmans on any of the Quantum class ships and there are also no pullmans on the latest Oasis class ships.  The last ship where Royal had pullmans as a regular feature was Allure

then they should have looked at a better option.  MSC has bunk beds that fold down into a couch 
here you can see the chair is now locked in.  and no room to walk by
you kind of have to leave the bed down or maybe ours was broken since it did not go down easily
image.thumb.png.822d05f08a932e8dcdcab997ab8e1a79.png

3 minutes ago, codeyell0 said:

then they should have looked at a better option.  MSC has bunk beds that fold down into a couch 
here you can see the chair is now locked in.  and no room to walk by
you kind of have to leave the bed down or maybe ours was broken since it did not go down easily
image.thumb.png.822d05f08a932e8dcdcab997ab8e1a79.png

We realize you had a bad experience and the Odyssey wasn’t up to your expectations.  I hope you book the ships that you like and make sure that you don’t book any other Quantum Class ships.  If you didn’t like the Odyssey, you won’t like any ships in the Quantum Class.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, codeyell0 said:

Nice ship, but I do like oasis and freedom. class.  The things I didn't like didn't make sense, especially for families. like the rooms and the pull-out couch which blocks the way and makes the desk unusable you can't pull out the chair and sit so in the AM my wife can't sit and get ready without putting the pull-out away. IMO bad design. I saw this in one video but didn't know about the desk and we had to leave the pull-out down to easily slide away.  
I watched many videos and Royal has a theme that didn't seem to follow that theme that was my point.

Oasis and freedom and most likely Icon are great choices for families….we’re older and dont cruise with kids. 

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Well, excuse me!

"Is this ship the red headed step child?" seems more of a complaint than observation.

They are in for a real SHOCK if they ever book Vision or Radiance class.

P.S.  I personally care nothing about the above.  Life happens, go with the flow.

P.P.S.  You don't research the bedding situation prior to booking a room?  The OP should not have been surprised that there were no pullmans.  You don't research activities/venues?

I never said I was surprised. I made a statement.
I made observations and then made a statement about them.  

I leave out of Florida. I did mention newer ships, vision and radiance are older ships.  
I did mention asking if these are a different builder.

Freedom class, voyager class, and oasis class, have the same feel.  this is a huge portion of the fleet. 
This is the reason for the post.  I didn't realize they switched to pull out couches in wonder 

4 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We realize you had a bad experience and the Odyssey wasn’t up to your expectations.  I hope you book the ships that you like and make sure that you don’t book any other Quantum Class ships.  If you didn’t like the Odyssey, you won’t like any ships in the Quantum Class.

I said I had a great time.  My point was this ship was so different in many ways from the oasis, freedom and Voyager class.  I figured it was a different builder.   

Someone mentioned quantum class was probably built for the north and I saw most of those ships are for Alaska or up north

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We also love the Odyssey, it is definitely our favorite in the Quantum class. We have been on Ovation, Quantum, Anthem & Odyssey and we enjoy all of them.

I see you are in Oregon.  I sail out of Florida those ships are not down here.