Last-Minute Tips, Tricks and Hacks...

Swells1

I admit it- the waiting is killing me. We're flying to San Juan Thursday morning and sailing on Saturday. That means I have TWO entire days of work. We're undergoing a renovation, and sitting at 50% occupancy at the hotel.

I.

Am.

BORED.

To kill time, I humbly ask you experts to help a girl out. Tell me anything you know that you think I might NOT know about:

• cruising out of San Juan 
  • Virgin Voyages
  • the Valiant Lady
  • XL Sea Terrace 13-326Z
  • Guadeloupe?!? Has anyone been here?
  • Anything else that comes to mind

(This is meant to be a light-hearted conversation, and I hope it comes across that way...)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Swells1 said:

Guadeloupe?!? Has anyone been here?

(This is meant to be a light-hearted conversation, and I hope it comes across that way...)

We're not planning to leave the ship in Guadeloupe - we're not "Death in Paradise" fans and the port area looks uninviting if not downright unsafe.

Just now, WanderingBrit said:

We're not planning to leave the ship in Guadeloupe - we're not "Death in Paradise" fans and the port area looks uninviting if not downright unsafe.

We actually chose a ship sponsored excursion in the morning. We'll determine then if we want to see more of the area. I'd love to see a black sand beach, but it looks like it might be too far away.

For all practical purposes, Valiant and Scarlet are identical.  I honestly don't know what to tell you.  By reports in the boards, Carlos is no longer the Diva on Valiant--that's a loss to all sailors.  It has been a few months, but the woman who was "the flare" was lovely....kind, intelligent, and fun.  The woman who was The Artist must know someone in management.

• Like 1

For the OP's question....on the ship don't forget to check out the free 80's arcade, play some games (we enjoyed trivia and the spped jigsaw puzzle), be sure to have snacks and drinks at the Dockhouse.  Don't mss the short rib bao at the Sun Club/ Many people ever find the Sun Club.  Try private karaoke.  or just sit and relax.

Be sure to sign up for any dining you did not yet sign up for as soon as you board.  Entertainment or events too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gretchendz said:

Say it ain't so! I'm sailing Valiant soon.

You can confirm his schedule on line.  I just went to his tictoc and it says that he is currently performing on Valiant....but it was posted here the he wasn't on board last week.  I don't know what to think....he was definitely there in November.

2 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

You can confirm his schedule on line.  I just went to his tictoc and it says that he is currently performing on Valiant....but it was posted here the he wasn't on board last week.  I don't know what to think....he was definitely there in November.

He doesn't say on his Instagram either..Guess I just have to wait in suspense.

4 hours ago, Gretchendz said:

Say it ain't so! I'm sailing Valiant soon.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I seem to remember reading that he was sick last week.  Not positive though.  We also are sailing from SJ soon and would be very disappointed to learn he is not the diva.

• Like 1

All I can say for sure is that he won't be on our next sailing (I asked him during the last cruise) and that he said his schedule can be viewed on his site.

If he was ill, that would explain reports that he "wasn't on board" even if reality was that he was on the ship, just not able to perform.

I was on Valiant New Year's and saw him perform. He was even roaming Extra Virgin on our last night greeting passengers! So last sighting of Carlos on Valiant is the evening of Jan 6! I did hear that the flu ripped through the entertainment staff during the Christmas cruise week, so many performances were cancelled, perhaps that's where the idea that Carlos wasn't on board came from.

• Like 1

To the topic posted though, as mentioned Scarlet and Valiant are nearly identical, if you've been on Scarlet, the biggest difference you will notice is in the Social Club. Valiant has more tables! Another fun "spot the difference" is Valiant's melting ice cream staircase toppers on deck 16 above the pool.

I just got off and I miss her already! I've realized that I love the way the ships smell! I'm not sure what it is, if it's a particular product or what, but I caught a whiff of it at home yesterday, probably lingering on something I brought home, and it just took me right back...

• Like 3

While in San Juan if you are a fan of rum a suggestion to check out the Bacardi factory. We weren’t interested in an expensive tour so just took a cab to the main area on our own, sat outside in the bar area and created our own tasting of 4 rums - they were I think $12 or $15 each for a straight 2 oz pour.   The 8 year, 10 year, 8 year with orange and the special edition  you can only buy on site.   We relaxed, people watched and then went  to the store bought the fancy on site only rum - it’s was delicious pricey but nice to have a special rum to remember our visit and then took a cab back to the port. One of our fav afternoons of our last cruise! 

IMG_7455.jpeg

IMG_7458.jpeg

IMG_7476.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/9/2024 at 12:06 AM, cantgetin said:

Where did you see her schedule?? I'm scouring her awomannamedcarlos & carlos the uber driver profiles, and can't find anything. I'm dying to know if we'll score the Diva on our July cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cantgetin said:

Carlos has the schedule posted on the tictoc profile for AWomanNamedCarlos.

I went there, but couldn't locate.  All I see are the videos.  Can you give us the link or direct us to find profile? Tx

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cheryl8503 said:

We sail March 23rd for the repositioning to Miami. I wonder if all the cast will be new🤔

The Valiant Lady Happenings cast is due to change in mid-March so it is likely.

This was the news of the current cast which came out in October https://vvinsider.com/valiant-ladys-sixth-happenings-cast-in-rehearsal-for-22-october-debut/

On 1/8/2024 at 1:59 PM, Swells1 said:

Guadeloupe?!? Has anyone been here?

We were just there for the Holidays on an Oceania 12-Night cruise. If you're a fan of "Death In Paradise" on BBC, book the show tour. Or book a tour of the Botanical Gardens in Deshaies and you'll probably have an opportunity to stop in the town for photos. That's the town where they film the series. Photo is us in front of the "Honore Police Station" and Catherine's Bar is about a 2 block walk away. 

Guadeloupe was lovely, it was our first time there, absolutely stonkin beautiful scenery, so glad we went on the tour. In fact it was our first time in Dominica, St. Barts, Grenada and Guadeloupe on that cruise. 

If you're staying in San Juan for a day, Flavors of San Juan is a fabulous walking tour of Old San Juan. Usually 5 or 6 stops for small bites, a cocktail or coffee. But the best part is you can find shops, bars and restaurants you might want to come back and explore when the tour is over. Especially if you ask the tour guide where to go after the tour is over. 

When you first board the ship, our "go-to" has been to drop off our bags and head back to The Dock for tapas and a cocktail. Last week on Scarlet we changed it up and went up to Deck 16 for a Poke Bowl and some Bao Buns. We always forgot the Sun Cafe is up there till the end of each cruise. 

Hopefully your Sea Terrace has a Hammock and not the bird cage. Some XL's can't have a hammock due to the curve in the front of the ship. Either way you'll have a great time. 

Honore Police 2.jpg

• Like 1

For you stay in San Juan, can I suggest the Mezzanine for one of the best cocktails in town.  156 Sol St. 2nd Floor, San Juan.  In old San Juan…on a quiet street.   It’s upstairs from a restaurant I’ve never eaten at but it is worth going out of your way for.

On 1/10/2024 at 1:59 PM, lesters said:

While in San Juan if you are a fan of rum a suggestion to check out the Bacardi factory. We weren’t interested in an expensive tour so just took a cab to the main area on our own, sat outside in the bar area and created our own tasting of 4 rums - they were I think $12 or $15 each for a straight 2 oz pour.   The 8 year, 10 year, 8 year with orange and the special edition  you can only buy on site.   We relaxed, people watched and then went  to the store bought the fancy on site only rum - it’s was delicious pricey but nice to have a special rum to remember our visit and then took a cab back to the port. One of our fav afternoons of our last cruise! 

IMG_7455.jpeg

IMG_7458.jpeg

IMG_7476.jpeg

Did this many many years ago, would love to go back!

• Like 1