Passport stolen on the way to the cruise port

Silent Penguin

On 1/16/2024 at 3:24 PM, Silent Penguin said:

I mentioned that I would update when my travel insurance claim was settled. I just got a check today.  It  didn't cover as much as I thought it would but that's on me.  I misunderstood the difference between Trip Delay daily max and total max.  They paid me the max for all three days.  Too bad it fell short by 158.00.  Good thing my delay was off-season.   Another lesson learned.  Possibly, next time, I will go with a policy with higher limits.  

Falling short by $158 isn't bad. If you go for a policy with higher limits, it's likely that the policy will cost more. When buying insurance, I'm most concerned about it covering the big open ended costs - emergency flights home, medical costs (if not covered internationally by your regular medical insurance), loss of all or most of the trip cost. Over the years of traveling, I'm probably ahead even if I had to pay for a few high season hotel nights.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 1:06 AM, new_cruiser said:

Falling short by $158 isn't bad. If you go for a policy with higher limits, it's likely that the policy will cost more. When buying insurance, I'm most concerned about it covering the big open ended costs - emergency flights home, medical costs (if not covered internationally by your regular medical insurance), loss of all or most of the trip cost. Over the years of traveling, I'm probably ahead even if I had to pay for a few high season hotel nights.

I agree 100%.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the detailed post about your ordeal. We have 4 young adult kids traveling with us this summer--they'd think, "Mom, you're being a tourist, don't worry..."

In the past, we have avoided Rome and Barcelona's metros for pickpocket reasons. But, over the years, I've gotten a bit lax and I've carried our PP in carryon bag. And, I told my friend in August in Italy that PP in her crossbody bag was fine!

This time, it'll be in the under the shirt necklace. Thanks for "real travel" reminder. Also very impressed with your level head, knowledgeable and "can do" attitude, which made it work out for you. 

Edited by elaine5
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The same thing happened to me on the Metro years ago. I was fortunate that my passport was in a safe at our hotel along with a small stash of lire and just enough U.S currency for the train tickets to Verona where we had an an apartment.  

Posted (edited)
On 2/29/2024 at 10:36 AM, Thisguylikestocruise said:

Not many situations I’d fight someone but if they steal my passport it’s going to be an all out brawl. 

One problem is you might not notice until later.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 2

Great job op and remaining calm.  Such good advice!

Wonder if a duel citizen could get by using the additional passport. I have US and Italian passports.  I have never used the Italian passport to exit or enter countries and always list my US passport but wondering if US passport was lost if the Italian passport could be used to get on ship and flight back into the states and then deal with replacement after home from vacation. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know someone who has 2 passports.  When he went to board his cruise, he took only the other passport with him to the ship, not the one he had used for the online check in.  He was refused boarding.

3 hours ago, hlperez said:

I know someone who has 2 passports.  When he went to board his cruise, he took only the other passport with him to the ship, not the one he had used for the online check in.  He was refused boarding.

Interesting.  

On 3/10/2024 at 3:46 PM, littlelulu01 said:

Great job op and remaining calm.  Such good advice!

Wonder if a duel citizen could get by using the additional passport. I have US and Italian passports.  I have never used the Italian passport to exit or enter countries and always list my US passport but wondering if US passport was lost if the Italian passport could be used to get on ship and flight back into the states and then deal with replacement after home from vacation. 

We are dual citizens on a cruise right now, and our info for the online checkin had passport 1 but we checked in at the terminal with passport 2.  No issues.

The issue with going back to the states on your Italian passport would be that you’d need an ESTA, wouldn’t you?  I’m not sure how that would work, you’d have to use the ship internet to get one, I guess.

For general travel, the guideline I was told was that you should use the passport with the strongest ties to the country you are entering.  In your case, as I understand the guidelines you would be using your Italian passport to enter Italy and the rest of the EU, and you’d use your US passport for North America and the Caribbean.  For most other countries, I personally would check which passport doesn’t need a visa for entry to that country, and use that one.

• Like 2