Recent drink price changes?

6 minutes ago, Anastas617 said:

My first HAL cruise is next month. So I'm understanding from this thread that we only pay the overage costs? 

Yes, overage plus 18% on the over amount. $0.59 for the Pina Colada or Painkiller on the list posted above.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, crystalspin said:

Yes, overage plus 18% on the over amount. $0.59 for the Pina Colada or Painkiller on the list posted above.

Thanks! Hmmm, that Painkiller sounds interesting. May have to check the couch cushions so I can get one of those, too. 🙂 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, crystalspin said:

Those little amounts really clutter up the final or daily statement! as does writing a dollar tip on every few drinks' paper slip...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Anastas617 said:

Thanks! Hmmm, that Painkiller sounds interesting. May have to check the couch cushions so I can get one of those, too. 🙂 

Ask for nutmeg on it. The first year I had them (pre pandemic), that was how they came in the Crows Nest (also frozen-style). Last year, I had to ask for either of those twists...

• Thanks 1

As others have said, it has been HALs practice since I have been cruising with them (2006) to raise the beverage package limits to cover the "standard" cocktails when prices go up.  I really believe this is imminent but this time they seem to be dragging their feet or are just really disorganized!!  🙄

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, oakridger said:

As others have said, it has been HALs practice since I have been cruising with them (2006) to raise the beverage package limits to cover the "standard" cocktails when prices go up.  I really believe this is imminent but this time they seem to be dragging their feet or are just really disorganized!!  🙄

~Nancy

I was speculating (to myself, so perhaps “musing” is a better word) as to whether it would be a bigger PR problem to first raise the drink prices and follow later with an increase to the package limit, or raise the limit followed by drink price increases. The former gives way to the relatively mild complaints as per this thread. The latter would make one feel they were getting a better deal, only to have that advantage disappear later. Neither seems to be a better approach. 

The actual better approach would be to raise both at the same time. However, that would require a bit of planning and logistics, particularly making sure everything happened together.

Probably too difficult to accomplish. I mean, it isn’t like HAL routinely restocks cruise ship supplies in eight hours for a few thousand passengers, which seems infinitely more difficult logistically. Oh, wait…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We were on an NCL cruise in 2017 when this exact thing happened. Many drink prices went up to $1 more than the package limit. Oh, the outcry when word got out! 

Bartenders were pulling their hair out with trying to deal with it. The line at guest relations was a mile long.

If I recall, it lasted about 4-hours. Suddenly, the package limit was raised $1. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ExArkie said:

Probably too difficult to accomplish. I mean, it isn’t like HAL routinely restocks cruise ship supplies in eight hours for a few thousand passengers, which seems infinitely more difficult logistically. Oh, wait…

One action is performed by a well oiled ships crew......the other relies on HAL's IT department.

😈

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

I think if they are going to raise the price of the drinks they should raise the allowance for the drinks.  You shouldn't have to buy an upgrade to get a standard drink.

Agree BIG time!

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

That's me too. I pay an extra $1.80 now with HIA pkg. No big deal breaker, and we've been on board Rotterdam for 48 days.

How much are they now?  I thought I saw they were only $12, so wouldn’t that just be $1.18?  Need to budget my 35 day cruise and I love Lemon Drops. 😂

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, chawkjewel said:

How much are they now?  I thought I saw they were only $12, so wouldn’t that just be $1.18?  Need to budget my 35 day cruise and I love Lemon Drops. 😂

That’s a ditto from me for 35 days…..  maybe we can get a buy one get one deal😉

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chawkjewel said:

He did this each time we ordered one every night. Great way to spend $1.18; hope it makes the budget so you can enjoy.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, oakridger said:

~Nancy

Just sucks if you are on a cruise in the interim. But it is gtk that HAL has caught up with literally everyone else when it come to simply charging the overage for drinks above the price limit of the drinks package. Is that an official on the books policy and if so does it have limits? 

Perhaps it's because we look like people concerned about paper waste, but we almost never had to sign a drink slip. The two exceptions were the Pinnacle Grill and Sel de Mer.  In both restaurants we ordered wines that were well above the $15 EBP limit.

We bought the Elite Package, standalone, before the cruise. (We opted for Have It All on our upcoming cruise. We'll upgrade right after we book our PG lunches.) I load up on paid OBC for the upgrade.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

... But it is gtk that HAL has caught up with literally everyone else when it come to simply charging the overage for drinks above the price limit of the drinks package. Is that an official on the books policy and if so does it have limits? 

Yes it's an "on the books" policy to only charge the overage plus 18% gratuity on the overage only.  I can't quickly find it on the website at the moment though, but it's there...in writing!

~Nancy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Yes it's an "on the books" policy to only charge the overage plus 18% gratuity on the overage only.  I can't quickly find it on the website at the moment though, but it's there...in writing!

~Nancy

@fatcat04It is also posted at the bars on a large (8.5x11?) sign. If I find a picture, I'll post it.

Here it is on Lido drink menu.20240110_224619.thumb.jpg.26819681f4d04e7dcaea781b4516a1d5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That’s actually pretty standard across the restaurant industry - 1 glass sold should pay for the bottle.  The rest is profit. 

2 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

What galls me the most is that they can rob people by charging $12 for a glass of Benzinger Sauvignon Blanc. It’s $11.97 at Total Wine and honestly just a “meh” wine. That’s one heck of a mark-up!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, POA1 said:

Perhaps it's because we look like people concerned about paper waste, but we almost never had to sign a drink slip. The two exceptions were the Pinnacle Grill and Sel de Mer.  In both restaurants we ordered wines that were well above the $15 EBP limit.

We bought the Elite Package, standalone, before the cruise. (We opted for Have It All on our upcoming cruise. We'll upgrade right after we book our PG lunches.) I load up on paid OBC for the upgrade.

On my recent Rotterdam, we upgraded to EBP and still had to sign for every drink.  It's annoying having to sign for every drink.

• Like 2