Does Celebrity confiscate bottles of wine that you bring back from a port stop?

Linda W.

Hello,

Very many years ago, X did an 'Extensive Wine and Food cruise' along the French and Spanish coasts. We were allowed to bring on board, and drink, wine bought at the ports of call without paying corkage. I have not seen that repeated.

On Independence at Le Havre (France) I brought on board a chef's blow torch and canister of gas and no-one batted an eyelid. One of life's mysteries?!

Regards,

Cublet

10 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

I can't drink it, even a couple of sips of wine causes me to have a reaction, but a friend loves it.

My wife and I fell in love with Scotch and bourbon right before she had to give up alcohol due to a heart issue in 2019 after our St Maarten cruise. Now she just takes a drop on her tongue and enjoys the aroma. I admire her dedication, and yours! Thanks

The only time I got alcohol confiscated was when Gulmohar’s sent our bottles directly to the ship naughty room. We were on a mission to go to the French side to buy chartreuse so didn’t want to carry the bourbon around.

We are currently on a different line that doesn’t offer drink package. We accidentally smuggled a bottle of rare tequila onboard. We were ready to turn it in but no one was paying any attention.

18 hours ago, Moochi said:

The only time I got alcohol confiscated was when Gulmohar’s sent our bottles directly to the ship naughty room. We were on a mission to go to the French side to buy chartreuse so didn’t want to carry the bourbon around.

We are currently on a different line that doesn’t offer drink package. We accidentally smuggled a bottle of rare tequila onboard. We were ready to turn it in but no one was paying any attention.

how did you get it on the ship without it being confiscated?

On 1/11/2024 at 6:01 AM, cruisestitch said:

So to sum up? Does Celebrity confiscate? Often but not always.

Never for me 🙂 

Try it.  The worst that could happen is that you would get it at the end of the cruise.  The best that could happen is that you get local wine in every port.  That is my experience.

Drinking California wine from the ship while in Europe or Australia or New Zealand is just odd.

Edited by NMTraveller

4 hours ago, Linda W. said:

how did you get it on the ship without it being confiscated?

X ray people didn’t say anything, and there was no one at the desk where they take away the bottles. So we walked straight to our room. 

Again, this is a different line. Our experience with X has been similar. 

On 1/10/2024 at 9:34 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Celebrity’s version of two buck chuck now costs $19 bucks a glass. It’s no wonder some people will go to certain lengths to bring their own. 

Using that logic

If your wallet falls out of your pocket on the gangway, a fellow passenger should scoop it up and keep all the money. His cruise, airfare, and hotel have all gone up. He’ll go to any length to recoup some of his money

6 minutes ago, Wakepatrol said:

Using that logic

If your wallet falls out of your pocket on the gangway, a fellow passenger should scoop it up and keep all the money. His cruise, airfare, and hotel have all gone up. He’ll go to any length to recoup some of his money

It wasn't my logic, I just musing about what might motivate others...I personally never board with wine bc we always have a drinks package.  But I can see a point in the future where I might want to bring wine back from a port stop.  I have no problem turning it over to be held until the end of the cruise.

I stand firmly behind my comment about the increase in wine prices by the glass, though.  I think such increases will prompt some to do whatever it takes to save a few bucks here and there...hopefully not to the extent of the scenario you posed.

Oh I think that there will be more wines brought on board.  With the Premium package if I purchase Caymus by the glass or bring a bottle on board it is the same price.  If I bring it on board I can drink it on my balcony and I don't have to sign receipts and explain to the sommelier that yes I do wan't to pay the upcharge.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

With the Premium package if I purchase Caymus by the glass or bring a bottle on board it is the same price.  If I bring it on board I can drink it on my balcony.

Excellent point!  Maybe we will bring a bottle of Caymus each to enjoy on the balcony.  It beats $35 a glass!  DH always turns his nose up when I suggest it because he says it's a pain to travel with wine.