Interesting (?) prices on certain cruises

AMHuntFerry

On 1/12/2024 at 6:28 AM, hamrag said:

And can be booked by UK residents, I've just checked my 'go to' US website and the cruise only USD price quoted is genuine! 

Comparing UK/non-UK prices is always apples-to-oranges because the UK prices are mandated to include ABTA/ATOL travel insurance.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, edgee said:

IME whether a TA is physically located two miles or two thousand miles from my home is completely irrelevant. I currently use a cruise travel agency based in NM, working with one of their home based agents who lives in NC. I live part of the year in NY and also spend significant time in CA. Makes no difference, as the business is virtual these days.

Which is fine for you, but not for me. My actual point was that you don't need a super secret connected TA to get sales, not whether internet or in-person TAs are better.

I have always disliked anything but in-person communication even before cells/internet (i.e., I hate any phone, wired or otherwise). It's a personal flaw that is not uncommon. I don't trust people I can't see in person, so local is my preference. Please refrain from making fun of my issues, and I won't make fun of yours.

My comment was prefaced by saying that the virtual way of doing business was in my experience/preferences. I was not "making fun of" or referring to any "issues."

4 minutes ago, edgee said:

My comment was prefaced by saying that the virtual way of doing business was in my experience/preferences. I was not "making fun of" or referring to any "issues."

Sorry...misread the "irrelevant" intention...I need to regrow my thicker skin 😉

• Like 1

Like with nearly all cruise lines, there are bargains to be found by simply shopping around among reputable high volume cruise agencies.  There are times when the cruise price might be the same as on O's own web site, but a cruise agency might toss in pre-paid gratuities and a generous On Board Credit.  

I should mention that over many decades we have mostly used 3 different excellent discount agencies, two of which are in Florida and one in New England.  No reason to use a local TA unless we want to pay more for our cruises.

Hank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edgee said:

IME whether a TA is physically located two miles or two thousand miles from my home is completely irrelevant. I currently use a cruise travel agency based in NM, working with one of their home based agents who lives in NC. I live part of the year in NY and also spend significant time in CA. Makes no difference, as the business is virtual these days.

Yep. And that goes back decades to when I worked for a major international airline. All virtual.

My 2¢:

You don't see much, if any, body-language when dealing by video, and none if by email only. 

When you know, have a history with, and trust a TA, that's one thing.

When you are having to deal with a new one, that's another.

2 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

My 2¢:

You don't see much, if any, body-language when dealing by video, and none if by email only. 

When you know, have a history with, and trust a TA, that's one thing.

When you are having to deal with a new one, that's another.

okey dokey

10 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Comparing UK/non-UK prices is always apples-to-oranges because the UK prices are mandated to include ABTA/ATOL travel insurance.

Indeed, I think most folks on these boards realise so! The secret is to remove stalks, pips, peel and compare fibre, vitamin C and potassium levels etc. Only after doing so should you then assess how the pricing compares. 😉

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hamrag said:

Indeed, I think most folks on these boards realise so! The secret is to remove stalks, pips, peel and compare fibre, vitamin C and potassium levels etc. Only after doing so should you then assess how the pricing compares. 😉

LOL!

Just sad that here in the UK our pricing is so much higher than in the US.

I wonder how much  the USA ‘ complainers’, who object to the new SimplyMore, would feel about the prices we have to pay!

2 hours ago, Vallesan said:

LOL!

Just sad that here in the UK our pricing is so much higher than in the US.

I wonder how much  the USA ‘ complainers’, who object to the new SimplyMore, would feel about the prices we have to pay!

Well, UK folks could just cancel for refund over all the Israel/Hamas/Red Sea "itinerary changes", so the nothing-for-something SM gives non-drinkers and 3rd-Party excursion takers is worse, no?